Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:30 pm
I am a 23 yr old girl and recently I found out that my
mother is having sex with her deceased husbands
brother(my uncle). I am shocked and disgusted at this
and refuse to forgive her. My question is.. Am I right to
feel this way?

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:40 pm
If neither of the parties are married, it's none of anyone's business.

Joe(If that's the case, send them both some good wine to share)Nation
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:52 pm
Why are you so angry? Is it because your mother has a sex life? or is it because she is is messing around with a relative/

Joe is right. As long as lthe two parties are not married, there is nothing to forgive.

You don't have to "like" it, but back off on judging your mom.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 09:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
if she were having sex with her husbands deceased brother, well that would be a different story.

and much more shocking...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 11:04 pm
@confused123,
What is it you think she needs your forgiveness for?

I find it curious that you refer to your father as "her deceased husband" rather than as "my father."
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 11:55 pm
My Uncle Happy (Howard was his real name, but everyone called him Happy - because he was) married his deceased wife's (my Aunt Francis) sister (Rosalie).
He was 86 and she was 83. They drove from Texas to Alaska for their honeymoon. They had nine years of wedded bliss until Uncle Happy died.

I was thrilled for them. My Uncle Happy and Aunt Francis had been married for 57 years before she died. She was so lovely- so sweet-natured that you could see it in her face and smile. I think that he found that he couldn't live without love in his life.

Anyway, I think you're being awful harsh and judgmental on two people who are only looking for love and happiness in their life.
If I were her, I'd not ask you for forgiveness - I'd ask you to find some love and happiness in your own life, so you wouldn't begrudge me mine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 07:31 am
@confused123,
Hamlet would say yes.... but things didn't really work out that great for him.

It really depends on what you mean by "right" to feel that way.

It's understandable I think. Heck it's the basis of a major Shakespearean tragedy (well that and that the uncle killed the father, but initially Hamlet is just disgusted that his mother and his uncle are sleeping together so soon after his father's death).

The question is whether your understandable "ewww" reaction means that you're justified in refusing to forgive your mother.

That part's not right, I don't think. As unpleasant as it may be for you to think about -- and we usually find thinking about our parents' sex lives unpleasant -- she is not doing anything wrong. She's already lost her husband (how long ago?), having her daughter mad at her can't be easy.

Not to mention that it must be hard for you to have lost your father and now be having such a hard time with your mom.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 07:52 am
The OP never said that the "husband" was her father. (probably her step father)

I suspect that this is more to do with her mother's sexual behavior than anything else. Maybe mom acted too soon after her husband's death. Who knows.??

Just from my own experience, I think adult children have a difficult time when their now-single parent has new "relationships.'
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 09:26 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Thrift, thrift, Horatio! The funeral bak'd meats
Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables.

Hamlet Act I sc ii
0 Replies

jeocleark

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:39 am
@confused123,
it is not a such big issue i think it is only agree both.
0 Replies