your favourite musicals

djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:37 am
@farmerman,
i much prefer straight theatre to musical theatre myself, one notable exception was a show i saw about a decade ago, it was a regional production about the history of a local radio station and a show it hosted from 1937 - 63

CKNX Barn Dance
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:48 am
Far and away "South Pacific". Movie version, never saw a stage version. Poor doomed people and the chance of finding romance when you never expected to, set agains the mortality of WWII, trenchant condemnation of prejudice when segregation and xenophobia were still the order of the day in the US. And great music, I still know most of the songs by heart.

"West Side Story" saw it on Broadway with high school girlfriend and another couple just after graduation, had never seen "Romeo and Juliet" and just knew the story by hearsay. Totally gripping in person.

Also "My Fair Lady", and "The Music Man"--Robert Preston reprised his con man role as a fast-talkking intergalactic recruiter for combat pilots in "The Last Starfighter".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:49 am
@djjd62,
Heres a version of "Modern Major General from G&S' "Pirates of Penzance". .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSGWoXDFM64

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:54 am
Oh, forgot about G&S. When I was in elementary school, the school put on a musical every year. The big kids in the 5th and 6th grades got all the plum roles. When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade they did "HMS Pinafore" and I played one of the sailor guards of the Pinafore's gangplank, largely because I had a plastic replica of a period-appropriate flintlock pistol I'd made from a model kit, which was a significant part of the costume. I think I had one line, I forget what, something on the order of "Who goes there". That was the last year they did school musicals. It was probably not my line that sunk those projects.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:06 am
I'm having a hard time narrowing this down to a favourite.

I love G&S. I was lucky enough to see the D'oyly Carte company on tour back in the 1970's. It was an amazing experience.

http://www.doylycarte.org.uk/

I won tickets to some other show by going to the theatre box office and singing a couple of choruses of Poor Wandering One.

Loved Rent. Am nuts for The Producers.

I've been lucky enough to see almost every production staged by Opera Atelier since their first mini-show in the early 1980's. I consider a lot of their work light opera/musicals vs opera. Extraordinary productions.

http://www.operaatelier.com/aboutoa/prod_touring.htm

I enjoy most of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers films, particularly The Gay Divorcee and Flying Down to Rio. I'm kind of goofy for the dance routine for The Continental.

Woody Allen's Radio Days.

so many more

edit: The Corpse Bride

the 1988 version of Hairspray

0 Replies

annis

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 11:04 am
Wow! What great musicals we have! G&S yep love that!
Guys and Dolls - fantastic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej1zMxbhOO0
Phantom of the Opera
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:05 pm

DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:49 pm
@firefly,
Yaya and I went to see Wicked a couple of weeks ago. It was fantastic.

hingehead

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 05:56 pm
@rosborne979,
I love Koyaanisqatsi, but I never thought of it as a musical - but I'm open minded and will jump on the bandwagon

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:18 pm
I’ve never been very fond of musicals or plays, probably should turn in my pink card. The first one I went to was of course the Nutcracker when I was a kid, second was Brigadoon, saw it with my parents in London when I was 14.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:36 pm

Carousel
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:48 pm
@annis,

Avenue Q
0 Replies

annis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:39 am
@firefly,
oh Firefly forgot about Gigi! How lovely!
0 Replies

annis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:41 am
@DrewDad,
Have never seen either of those! Am I being lapse?
0 Replies

annis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:44 am
@hingehead,
Well HH that was strange! Never heard of it! But will let you say it is a musical! Didn't like the battery farm bit or the poor chicks! Thank you
annis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:45 am
@jcboy,
ooh the Nutcracker is lovely!
0 Replies

annis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgarblythe I so love Carousel! thank you
Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:58 am
Carousel, all of it. The movie version came out early in my life and I loved the entire story.
Oklahoma, most of it.
Shenandoah, 90% of it.
42nd Street, not bad
April In Paris...the movie sucks fairly much; but, there's a personal attachment to it (family related).
Sweet Charity wasn't at all bad, in any form. On Broadway, in the movie house, even amateur high school productions.
There are a few others I can tolerate. (just don't make me deal with West Side Story)

I'm not heavily into musicals, they need a story that I can work with.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:07 pm
@annis,
Hi Tulip, just noticed that Phantom of the Opera is playing in Plymouth until the end of March.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 03:18 pm
@hingehead,
You appreciate Glass.

We have at least one thing in common

It's a movie though, with a score by Glass; not a musical.

Have you seen or heard Einstein on The Beach? It's an opera rather than a musical.

My favorite of his recordings is the one he did with Ravi Shankar. Seemed like a match made in heaven.