Bespoke; spelling and use

Grimen

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:40 am
I am a Norwegian dog owner trying to name my new puppy. It is a Spaniel (birddog breed), and since it is tailor made for chasing birds I thought I would name her “Bird Bespoke”. Is this correct English?
I see that the term “bespoked” sometimes is being used on the internet, but I cannot find that spelling in the Dictionary. Is it an incorrect use of the word?

fresco

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:49 am
@Grimen,
Quote:
“bespoked” sometimes is being used on the internet

I doubt it. In UK English, "bespoke" means "custom made" as in "a bespoke suit" ( a suit tailored to order). It is in general confined to manufactured goods or personal services, and does not apply to animals.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:50 am
@Grimen,
Bespoke means made to specific measurements. It usually refers to tailors who would weasure you up for a suit, as opposed to buying something off the peg.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:50 am
@fresco,
Oops we crossed.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:53 am
@Grimen,
It's a name, it doesn't really matter if it's grammatically correct. Bird Bespoke does seem a bit of a mouthful with three syllables though. What about Birdy or Spokes?
djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:53 am
the startled, and some what inebriated Apiarist, was having trouble convincing the pub crowd that the bespoke
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 09:05 am
How about Diana (the Huntress, in Greek mythology). which actually is a name in at least two languages.
0 Replies

Grimen

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:31 am
@izzythepush,
It is the BB litter, so the official name of the dog must be two words both starting with the letter “B”, thus “Bird Bespoke”. The short name for daily use will of course be “Bird”. The official name (with the name of the Kennel first) will be used on Pedigrees and when the dog takes part in show/trial, also in England. It is a bit stupid then if the name I like to use is misspelled, or if it doesn’t work as well in English as in Norwegian.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:34 am
Wow, I had no idea the name format had to be so rigid.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:52 am
@Grimen,
I understand, our kennel club has similar rules and regulations.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:54 am
@Grimen,
as a nod to the douchebags who thought up that rule, i'd name the dog Biteme Bitches
izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:23 am
@djjd62,
For a minute I thought you wrote Bitterne Bitches. Bitterne's a suburb of Southampton.
djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
For a minute I thought you wrote Bitterne Bitches. Bitterne's a suburb of Southampton.

i believe that's the name of the local WI
izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:34 am
@djjd62,
Stay away from the jam.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 08:40 pm
I like Bird Bespoke, but like Bird Bespoken better. On the other hand I like wordplay.
0 Replies