renders = makes?

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:04 am

Context:

Painful stimuli activate nociceptive C fibers and induce synaptic long-term potentiation (LTP) at their spinal terminals. LTP at C-fiber synapses represents a cellular model for pain amplification (hyperalgesia) and for a memory trace of pain. μ-Opioid receptor agonists exert a powerful but reversible depression at C-fiber synapses that renders the continuous application of low opioid doses the gold standard in pain therapy. We discovered that brief application of a high opioid dose reversed various forms of activity-dependent LTP at C-fiber synapses. Depotentiation involved Ca2+-dependent signaling and normalization of the phosphorylation state of α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptors. This also reversed hyperalgesia in behaving animals. Opioids thus not only temporarily dampen pain but may also erase a spinal memory trace of pain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,162 • Replies: 22

roger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 01:22 am
@oristarA,
That's the sense of it in this context. Be very careful of generally substituting 'render' for 'make'. The word has multiple definitions, and none mean exactly the same as 'make'.

I suggest you take the meaning from context, and avoid using it yourself, unless you feel very confident.
oristarA

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 02:16 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

That's the sense of it in this context. Be very careful of generally substituting 'render' for 'make'. The word has multiple definitions, and none mean exactly the same as 'make'.

I suggest you take the meaning from context, and avoid using it yourself, unless you feel very confident.

Thank you Roger.

Will "establish" or "erect" be better there?
roger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 02:35 am
@oristarA,
In that particular context, I like 'renders' or 'produces'.

I should warn you, I'm going more by intuition than solid knowledge. I do wish I could come up with a more solid answer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 02:55 am
@oristarA,

No. "Make" is okay.

But I must sympathise, because this passage is total crap, as far as intelligibility is concerned.
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 08:18 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
But I must sympathise, because this passage is total crap, as far as intelligibility is concerned.

You haven't noticed this, McTag, even at your ripe old age. Everything seems difficult/opaque/unintelligible when you don't have a firm grasp of the vocabulary.
McTag

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 05:22 pm
@JTT,

I'll take a firm grasp of something in a minute, matey.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:40 pm
@McTag,
I'm sorry to say this because I thought JTT was out of order, but,
Quote:
I'll take a firm grasp of something in a minute, matey
sounds more masturbatory than threatening. Maybe it's just me.
roger

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 06:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Baseball bat?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 08:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Maybe it's just me.

I think so, Izzy. McTag appreciates honesty, especially when it comes to language.
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:26 am
@izzythepush,

Quote:
I thought JTT was out of order

Sadly, that is the status quo
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:38 am
@JTT,
You can be honest without being rude.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:40 am
@McTag,
Now we get Status Quo, but I notice they were lacking from your broadcast.................. Actually that's a good thing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:22 am
@izzythepush,
Exactly what part of my post do you consider was rude, Izzy. I think it was very circumspect.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:54 am
@JTT,
You suggested that McTag's comments about the post were down to his inability to grasp the vocabulary, and implied that may have something to do with his age. I think you could have been a bit more diplomatic. Don't get me wrong, there are people on A2K who deserve the full blast of your invective, McTag isn't one of them
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 11:03 am
@izzythepush,

He's my pal really, but we like to chide each other.

He's gone off now, to look up "chide".
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 11:05 am
@McTag,
When I've got a cold, they're those green herbs that taste a bit oniony.
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 02:23 pm
@izzythepush,

Smile

I've got something tonight, am missing my Thursday out with the lads, and I can't be bothered with Manchester United on the box. Definitely sickening for something.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 06:25 pm
@McTag,
Oh dear, well at least you don't look as bad as Wayne Rooney.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 07:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
and implied that may have something to do with his age.

That was a joke. McTag and I have traded these before. I respect his views on language, except when he's out to lunch. Smile
0 Replies