Obunga priorities: Subsidizing car purchases for the 1% over poor children and airline safety

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:24 am
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/16/the-strange-budget-priorities-of-obama-subsidizing-car-purchases-for-the-1-over-poor-children-and-airline-safety/

Quote:

....POSTED AT 9:15 AM ON FEBRUARY 16, 2012 BY ED MORRISSEY

In my column for The Fiscal Times today, I remind readers that budgets are statements of priorities. Barack Obama’s budget shows his priorities on many levels, both at the macro and micro level. Given the large amount of new spending and higher taxes, it’s very easy to conclude at the macro level that Obama doesn’t think that spending reductions are a priority at all. How about on the micro level? Changes to three different programs give an even clearer indication of Obama’s priorities:

One is to the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program that helps poor children opt out of failing public schools in the nation’s capital. In 2011, Republicans in Congress fought to restore funding to the voucher program after Obama cut it in his FY2010 budget, and they managed to restore those funds for five years in the FY2012 compromise package.

Now, Obama has removed the entire $13 million for this program in his FY2013 budget proposal, a move that his union supporters in the National Education Association will cheer, but which will create despair among parents whose children will once again be denied access to school choice in Washington D.C.

Obama’s red line has also cut the Federal Flight Deck Officer Program in half, reducing its funding from an FY2012 level of $25 million to just $12 million in FY2013. At the same time, the budget reduces the federal Air Marshal budget by 4 percent, a reduction of $36.5 million. FFDO trains and provides continuous certification for commercial pilots to arm themselves in the cockpit, and air marshals provide plainclothes security to intervene in any security emergency. …

The cost savings from pushing poor kids out of the voucher program and making commercial flight less safe together add up to about $63 million. On the other side of the ledger: taxpayer subsidies for buying Chevy Volts. …

Obama proposes to boost the subsidy to $10,000 per car and projects at least 10,000 units sold in FY2013, which would be a new cost of $100 million in that year alone just from the taxpayer-funded rebates at the point of sale, far outstripping what was saved by eliminating the DC voucher program and cutting effective airline security.

Who gets these subsidies? According to GM’s CEO Dan Akerson, the average annual salary for a Volt buyer is $170,000 per year. That is about the average income for a BMW owner, about $40,000 a year higher than the average Cadillac buyer, and about $30,000 more than the average Lexus driver. Only a high-income earner could afford to take the financial risk of owning an electric vehicle that will have zero resale value when the batteries fail in five to eight years.

We’ve written at length .......

Long article, worth reading

roger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:08 pm
@gungasnake,
I recently read that the average Prius owner had an annual income of $173,000. True or not, they are not the people that need to be subsidized by the people I know, especially when the sale of electrics and hybrids gain the makers more CAFE points - permiting them so sell more Belchfire 8s without penalty.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:30 pm
@roger,
Electric cars might make sense after somebody gets their act together with super capacitors and we start building thorium reactors. They make no sense in our present world.
roger

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:53 pm
@gungasnake,
My issue isn't whether the make sense on their own merits. My issue is whether or not they should be subsidized by the people who cannot afford the price, and whether they should gain bonus points for the makers so they can produce more guzzlers. Want to make bets on why Damlier-Benz produces the Smart Car? I doubt they're profitable if someone wasn't trying to get around CAFE.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 04:09 pm
@roger,
You're right about that and there's also the question of who between the UAW and needy children draws more water with the DNC.
0 Replies