Letting go....

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:04 pm
A part of me feels I shouldn't even write this.. but I will, because I can't talk about it and it is better to let it out than hold it all in...

I found out today, that the boy (now man) that I once loved is moving away... across the country.. in less than 2 weeks..

As a normal human, I have always have my what if's.. we all do, blah blah..
we haven't spoken in quite sometime.. mainly because I avoided him like the plague in fear of getting hurt again

I married, had children... the whole kitten kaboodle...

but unfortunately I will always wonder, as I did love him very much...

so can someone, for the love of god, please SMACK me, and tell me to stop thinking about it because it is going to drive me insane, I am going to drive me insane.... the would I, should I, could I's.... Ugh...

I just need reassurance that it is normal to wonder and to look back but ok to let go because it is the right thing to do...

Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:06 pm
@Crazielady420,
you can always look back, but you must keep moving forward...

good luck.
Crazielady420

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:09 pm
@Rockhead,
that is just what I needed to hear, thank you!
Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:15 pm
@Crazielady420,
you're very welcome.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:29 pm
@Crazielady420,

Maybe he was your "first" love Smile We always remember and memories are good to have, we should have them.

But, you say you blocked him out of your life because you didn't want to be hurt again... And, you did a good job of that.. That means you were right....

It's natural when something re-surfices to think about it and reflect and yes, then to let go:)

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:30 pm
@Crazielady420,
Wondering is perfectly okay, just don't live in it.

Instead look at the great wonderful life you do have.

Every so often I wonder what would have happened if I'd headed off and become a minister as I considered a choice back when I was in my teen years. I'm rather certain life would have been different. That doesn't mean better or worse, just different. That wasn't my path; took a different one and for the most part it's been fine. No time or energy for regrets about what might have been if I'd done things in an entirely other manner.

Perhaps life would have been drastically apart from where it is now if I had taken violin lessons seriously or if I'd walked off with that man at the Port Authority Bus Terminal when I was 14 or 15 (like I might be dead), or if I'd followed up with Ralph and gone to Rome or some other place.

Life gives us options, we make a choice and it gives us experiences which speaking for myself, I wouldn't trade away for anything, not for anything.

So, look at him leave, shed a tear or two if you want, because he was a part of your life; then take down the soup pot and make some borscht. Slice some onions so you can cry without feeling awkward. Clean your home from top to bottom....if it's already clean, give it an extra clean. Repaint a room. Write a short story or start a novel or even read a book. Wonder, nod your head, let out a small laugh and know you've done good and done right and are in a good place.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 03:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Wow.......

Beautifully said....
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 05:50 pm
Love someone, remembering that he/she is mortal.
Love them so much you seem to pull them into you and you become one.
Love them enough to know when it is time to let them go.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 02:14 am
CL, I'm working up some answer, didn't mean to not respond.

Sending love.

Jo
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I can't say it better than Sturgis did, although I don't like beets.

When my husband left - not looked back at now, by me, as a bad thing but reflective of who we were, and are - I was gutted. Go ahead and cry your head off if it hits you that way. Then move on freely.

I don't think it's a bad thing to look back at (our) own behavior, but don't look at it all as only you somehow messing up. There are dynamics to situations, and if I remember, yours had plenty of them from his side.

I think your sense of your self and your own worth will grow comfortably - enjoy that part.

0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 02:27 pm
thanks for all the great responses, in my moment of stupidity and weakness..

Sturgis, what you wrote was amazing!!

I appreciate you all not judging me as well...

Truthfully, after briefly thinking about it after I posted on here and let reality of the situation set in and realized that looking back at my youth... which was what I was missing more than anything... all I want to say is Adios... and now I never have to worry about any awkard run ins!!!

Letting go of your youth is hard... each time I look in the mirror.. well blah.. I am getting older.... this post wasn't actually about letting go of him.. it was about letting go of a part of me...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 02:36 pm
@Crazielady420,
Yes.

Well, I'm a self appointed expert on aging now - age zooms - and there are compensations, at least as I see it. I now appreciate worn faces, eyes with history/perception behind them, knowing people who have been through a lot of stuff. In a way it makes life, if not richer, rich in another way that in the bud of youth.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 02:57 pm
@Crazielady420,
Wise young Osso Smile

Age is but a number, the older I get the better I feel, so much has been learnt and travelled in life, I am free to be me, how exciting is that? Smile

I've never looked at my age in fact I up it a year straight after each birthday but I act 10 years younger and according to my step-daughter, the most trendiest 48 year old she's met...

Embrase it, another form of fun with life begins.
0 Replies