Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
Typical redneck response, John. Wink
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I wasn't sure if 5x5 was the term you used and I had no idea what that term meant.
Quote:
Five by five is the best of 25 possible subjective responses used to describe the quality of communications,
specifically the signal-to-noise ratio. As receiving stations move away from an analog radio transmitting site,
the signal strength decreases gradually while noise levels increase. The signal becomes increasingly difficult
to understand until it can no longer be heard as anything other than static.

In voice procedure (the techniques used to facilitate spoken communication over two-way radios) a transmitting
station may request a report on the subjective quality of signal they are broadcasting. In the military of the North
Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) countries, and other organizations, the signal quality is reported on two scales;
the first is for signal strength, and the second for signal clarity. Both these scales range from one to five, where
one is the worst and five is the best. The listening station reports these numbers separated with the word "by".
"Five by five" therefore means a signal that has excellent strength and perfect clarity — the most understandable
signal possible.

"Five by five" (occasionally written "'5 by 5", "five-by-five", "5 x 5", or "5-by-5"), by extension, has come to mean
"I understand you perfectly" in situations other than radio communication. Further shortened forms are "five by",
"Fivers" and "Fifers". Post-World War II, the phrase "Loud and Clear" entered common usage with a similar meaning.
(wiki)

but i digress...
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:13 pm
We have 8 players in thus far plus a couple others have said that will play. They have not signed up yet.

That means that you, yes you, if you have an interest in playing in our league can still join in. Please let me know and I will be happy to provide you with details.

Fbaezer (from Mexico City) and I (from Charlottesville VA, the center of the intellectual universe) don't see eye to eye. It had something to do with me untying my hound from the chain attached to the cinder blocks holding up my mobile home. That dog ran 2450 miles and bit Fbaezer in the ass. I thought that was funny; he did not.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
I like both of you well enough. Carry on.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:17 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
My promise for this year is not to make a stupid goodwill trade with any player who messes up his draft.

Seconded!

Unless, of course, I mess up my draft, in which case I might come by with hat in hand ....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:22 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
It would suffice to write: "5x5 or I don't give a **** about what fbaezer is talking about"

That's how I read it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:28 pm
@Ticomaya,
So, could you explain to some of us what this is about?
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:37 pm
@ossobuco,
What what is about? 5x5?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:38 pm
@Ticomaya,
Is being hit upside the head by a 2 x 4 different than a 5 x 5?

(I tried this game once, it nearly killed me)
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:40 pm
@ehBeth,
You play rough, eB.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 01:18 pm
Gargamel joined up today. Yippee!
We are now at 9 with room for 3 more players.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 01:24 pm
@Ticomaya,
Right, don't know the term..
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
The 5x5 Tico mentioned refers to the fact that the league as Rhys set it up has 5 hitting categories in which we can score points: Runs, Home Runs, Runs Batted In, Stolen Bases and Batting Average.
This is rather minimalistic and he proposes adding: Doubles, (Caught Stealing), Walks, and (Strike Outs). The ones in ( ) are negative. I would propose adding Hits or Singles in order to reward the scrappy non-power batter who can start or extend a rally.

5x5 has 5 pitching positions at present: Wins, Saves, Strikeouts, Earned Run Average and WHIP which is walks/hits per inning pitched.
Tico suggests adding: Innings Pitched, (Losses), Complete Games, Shutouts, Holds and (Blown Saves).
I am not a big fan of Complete Games, simply because they are so rare.
I would like to see as many scoring categories as we can get. I think that will make for exciting matches.
I favor moving the draft to March 25th or March 18th at the earliest.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 02:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks. I like your scrappy batter proposal.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 04:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
We have a 5K on 3/18. Doesn't mean we can't do the draft thing, long as it's maybe late afternoon our time.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 12:19 pm
Rhys has, I believe, changed the scoring to conform with Tico's suggestions. Thanks to both of them for working together. I don't know what has been done about the draft date.
Right now we have 9 players and we need 1 more to get to an even number. We have room in our league for a total of 12 players.

Have you ever played Fantasy Baseball? If so, please consider playing again. If not, it is amusing even if you don't follow baseball. You tend to get attached, perhaps, to the real-life players on your team.
The time commitment isn't all that great.
We would enjoy having you join us.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
We have great fun and we talk sports! Everyone is very, very friendly (despite the trash talking). Rhys is a wonderful commissioner - in fact, we've always had great commissioners.
George

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:46 am
I spoke with Rhys and he will change the date on this Saturday. The date
receiving the most requests before Saturday wins. If someone requests
a date you CANNOT make, please say so.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 07:41 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
I wasn't sure if 5x5 was the term you used and I had no idea what that term meant.
Quote:
Five by five is the best of 25 possible subjective responses used to describe the quality of communications,
specifically the signal-to-noise ratio. As receiving stations move away from an analog radio transmitting site,
the signal strength decreases gradually while noise levels increase. The signal becomes increasingly difficult
to understand until it can no longer be heard as anything other than static.

In voice procedure (the techniques used to facilitate spoken communication over two-way radios) a transmitting
station may request a report on the subjective quality of signal they are broadcasting. In the military of the North
Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) countries, and other organizations, the signal quality is reported on two scales;
the first is for signal strength, and the second for signal clarity. Both these scales range from one to five, where
one is the worst and five is the best. The listening station reports these numbers separated with the word "by".
"Five by five" therefore means a signal that has excellent strength and perfect clarity — the most understandable
signal possible.

"Five by five" (occasionally written "'5 by 5", "five-by-five", "5 x 5", or "5-by-5"), by extension, has come to mean
"I understand you perfectly" in situations other than radio communication. Further shortened forms are "five by",
"Fivers" and "Fifers". Post-World War II, the phrase "Loud and Clear" entered common usage with a similar meaning.
(wiki)

but i digress...

THANK YOU!

Not sure if you have seen the movie "Aliens", but in that movie, as they are descending to the planet, the pilot says "We're in the pipe, 5 by 5." and I have always wondered what that meant.

/digression
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 09:33 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
...- in fact, we've always had great commissioners.

... believe it or not, that was unsolicited. Very Happy