DO YOU VOTE ON POSTS?

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:34 am
I don't, but this isn't about whether or not one can say it's a good or bad idea. I've seen today that a great many posts have been voted down. One of them was mine--i don't care about that, but i was surprised because it had been voted down in the time it took the system to get me back to the page after i hit submit--that's pretty damned fast!

In the same thread, people with whom i don't agree were being voted down, and a post by the person i would have thought most likely to being voting down those posts was also voted down? It left me mystified. What was the motive?

So, i really have two questions, the first being in two parts: do you vote for posts (up or down), and why? The second question is, do you think there are people who go through threads merrily voting posts down to amuse themselves?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 34 • Views: 11,246 • Replies: 96

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:35 am
@Setanta,
I sometimes vote H2O douche down just to wipe him off the inbox for me. Its cheap and doesnt show up as an "Ignore" Course theres always JTT and Baldimo and , oh my, so many names, so little respect
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:36 am
Yes, I do.
I vote up for posts which make sense and add to the conversation.
I vote down any post which doesn't.

Joe(I feel good about either vote.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:37 am
Do either of you have an opinion on the proposition that there are people who go around busily voting down posts?
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:38 am
@Setanta,
Personally, I only vote posts down in retaliation for my post being voted down. Sometimes this leads to an endless and childish cycle. At that point, I start to feel silly and then begin to ignore the thumbs.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:41 am
@wandeljw,
But how do you know who voted down your post? I mean, i know i'd never win a popularity contest here, so it could anyone of literally thousands . . . tens of thousands ! . . . of people.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:43 am
@Setanta,
I don't know. I simply retaliate by voting down posts on the same page that disagree with my position.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:43 am
I'm sure there are elves or trolls who do nothing but vote down every post they see by particular people.

Joe(don't lose any sleep over them, please.)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:45 am
@Setanta,
I wouldnt wan to hang out with them if thats their goal in life to have everyone agree with them.

However, having said that, set, you are a kind of lightning rod for guys that may hold grudges. Sometimes you may cut somebody's tree-limb away with apparent joy (at least it appears to me that youre having waay too much fun with em) SO people hold grudges against you. I notice a number of people whove responded to you telling you that they are ingoring you. (YEt they dont admit to peeking). I, of course am a kind and an avuncular gentle soul so nobody ignores me or thumbs me down.

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:46 am
@farmerman,
you jerk.

Joe(heh)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:50 am
@wandeljw,
By God, that'll learn 'em!
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:51 am
@farmerman,
I just broke my own long-standing habit by voting down your post. Let's see if it sticks now that i've responded to it.

Yeah, the guys who say they're gonna put me on "ignore," and who keep responding crack me up.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:52 am
@Setanta,
Well, i'll be go to hell, your post is still disappeard, even though i responded to it. As for my glee in cutting off the limbs that guys have crawled out onto--hell, can't i have any fun around here ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:52 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
you jerk.
**** OFF ya GEEZER
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:53 am
Ah . . . feel the love!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:56 am
I'll vote up posts that basically agree with my opinion instead of just posting "me too." I'll on rare occasions vote down posts that are completely offensive but usually I don't bother. As to people who go around wildly down checking threads, I've wondered if someone doesn't have a bot out there doing that. Sometimes it is so fast it seems almost automatic.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 11:56 am
I have done both the up and down thumbings a few times, nothing regular and not directed at any particular poster for either up or down.

Some months ago I made a post and in the 2 seconds it took to edit, I had gotten slammed with 3 thumbs-down. I saw another editorial need and came back there was an additional down thumb. My post had been in response to a long term member here who had created a thread which I found offensive, or at the very least, insensitive. Subsequent posts I made in that thread were thumbed down with equal gusto and speed. By the following day a few persons had come in and put in a few up-thumbs as the 4 had become only 2 down.

When a post of mine hurtles into negative territory, I get a chuckle from it, don't dwell on it and only on rare occasion wonder who did me the honor. Yeah, it's an honor, as it shows somebody,or several somebodies are scared of my posts for some reason.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:02 pm
@engineer,
Never thought of the bot angle, but that's a possibility. I hit submit on a post, and when i was brought back to the page, the post had already been voted down. There would not even have been enough time for someont to have read the post.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:03 pm
@Setanta,
So, i really have two questions, the first being in two parts: do you vote for posts (up or down), and why?
Yes. I do both. I vote up posts in which are creative, funny, and/or make a good/great point. And I've adopted the habit (from Dutchy) to thumb up the person's answer above my own in the word game threads.

I thumb down posts with which I have a strong disagreement with politically.

The second question is, do you think there are people who go through threads merrily voting posts down to amuse themselves?
I suppose there are those who hold such practice. There are also person's who hold personal grudges against certain members where they will actively thumb down said member's posts even when that person's posting has nothing to do (apolitical, uncontroversial posts) with the disagreement the two parties have with each other.

If I see this out of place thumbing down, then I will thumb that person's post up to rectify the situation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:05 pm
Wow, somebody tagged be the Bejesus out of this thread already. I think Jespah lurks around the site, and rushes in to tag theads just as soon as she spots 'em . . .