DO YOU VOTE ON POSTS?

saab

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:09 pm
As a rule I do not thumb up or down people.
Just because I disagree with someone does not mean that the post has to be thumbed down. I would do it if I find the post nasty, but as a rule I donĀ“t do a thing.
Thumbing up I do rarely but when it is because I find the post very good.
I got thumbed down some time ago when I thanked somone for an information.
That kind of confused me .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:15 pm
@farmerman,
Geezer!!! Why you're nothing but a barrel of lard with a bale of hay for a head, if there was such a thing as a bale of hay full of rocks!

Joe(Ow, your thumb's in my eye!)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 12:16 pm
@Setanta,
I don't vote down often. I do vote up, including sometimes for good arguments by people I disagree with. I try not to just vote up for agreement, but well written points of view. Also vote up for wit or just plain funniness.

Occasionally I do repair work, voting up someone who has been blasted for no discernible cause. Sometimes thumbers chase people around apparently in some kind of retribution. I'm mixed about doing that type of repair - pro, re showing general respect for the poster, and con, re letting the nincompoopish down thumbers be seen.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:00 pm
@Setanta,
I haven't read all the responses but my take is the same as yours. I have never voted a post down. I thumb down threads all the time, but that's it. I don't know the worth of voting on an individual post. Just to say you like it or don't? Why bother?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:05 pm
On some of my threads, I vote up virtually every respondent. On one, I even voted up H2O. But that's only on some of them. I rarely vote anyone down, but instead ignore anyone so deserving.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:10 pm
I seldom do the thumb up or down. Sometimes I'll thumb up a bunch of posts on a page that have been thumbed down by the bot types just to neutralize the effect. Mostly, I don't bother one way or the other. If there's a topic that I'm really interested in following and it gets derailed by a bunch of "Your mother wears Army boots" type stuff then I'll vote those down to clear them from view. Usually, once the thread has become about us talking about each other rather than the OP, I just leave the thread.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:24 pm
@Setanta,
I vote more things up than I vote down. Posts that impress me with their value to the thread I vote up. I only vote things down when I feel they have no relevancy to the thread or if they represent such an odious opinion that they don't deserve to see the light of day.

I have no idea if anyone is going around systematically "thumbing" posts. I never thought about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

But how do you know who voted down your post? I mean, i know i'd never win a popularity contest here, so it could anyone of literally thousands . . . tens of thousands ! . . . of people.

If your posts are consistantly voted down when they disagree with the same two people, and I mean very consistantly, I think you have a clue.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:47 pm
I rarely vote down, but I really don't see it as voting down: it's just
a post I collapse so I don't have to see it while re-reading a thread with new posts. As I said I do it rarely as it's too much of a bother to vote up/down. I simply don't pay enough attention to it. It's just a way of simplifying my getting around the board, it's usually nothing personal....

I like you all! Well, not always - yesterday some of you were quite annoying Twisted Evil
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:11 pm
@roger,
I can see that . . . i guess i'm sufficiently unpopular that that method wouldn't work for me . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
I like you all! Well, not always - yesterday some of you were quite annoying Twisted Evil

Except, of course, for me . . . right?

Hello?
djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:19 pm
i only vote up, and only out of a sense of absolute dickishness, that being, i vote up folks who are unpopular and have been voted down, folks like hawkeye, ionus (when he was here), fido, etc

i'm a bad, bad man
DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:20 pm
I generally vote up posts that I particularly agree with, or that I find insightful.

I don't vote down just because someone has an opposing viewpoint; I usually only vote down posts that I find offensive.

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Same with me. A lot of thumb ups, very few down. I regularly thumb up funny..
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:27 pm
@Setanta,
I think their out to get you...... I noticed one of your posts voted down, something about 'Ireland not being part of the UK', so I voted it up.
But it was back down within minutes. I think their joining forces against you and your days are numbered. Their getting help from MI69. Head's Up!.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:36 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
OK, i'm not getting the joke . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 02:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Geezer!!! Why you're nothing but a barrel of lard with a bale of hay for a head,
DAMMIT you spit tobacca juice all over my new cashmere sweater
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 05:39 pm
@djjd62,
Me too
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 06:32 pm
@farmerman,
Somebody might vote these rude remarks down.

Joe(or up)Nation
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:08 pm
I vote down any game thread that Dutchy is involved in. Twisted Evil

I rarely vote down a post unless it is offensive. But I love to give a good post a thumbs up.

The reason why is that many times I'll start reading a new thread and all the significant posts are lined up numerically based on the number of thumbs up.
This makes it easier to skim the gist of the thread and get up to speed.