Twenty-Mile Problem

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:13 pm
Incidentally, "prom" is usually considered a century-or-so-old contraction of "promenade", which is "a march of guests into a ballroom constituting the opening of a formal ball" , not a "promotion", though since CA is usually in advance of the rest of the country culture-wise, so maybe you guys are changing the etymology to s"promotion to 12th grade" or something like that.

Where's the engineering competition, near you or near her or nowhere near either of you. Is it a spectator sport like the robot wars they wage at MIT? Since she's an engineering geek too, could you ask her to come and lend you moral support? Or would that put too much performance pressure on you? If you've got time in between, DO DINNER. You can legitimately bill it as unwinding after all the stress. Figure out a range of possibilities, from burgers at a drive--in if time is short--they've gotta still have them, can't get much more California as the rest of the country sees it than burgers on the strip (get a DVD of "American Graffiti" and an early Beach Boys CD for that 1960 ambience, which you are both too young to remember, but we do)on up to somethingmore elaborate if there's time. Then go to the prom--fashionably late is fine, but not TOO late.

Oh, while we're doing all this discussion of proms, have you asked her yet? That's kind of the first step.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Replies

Air Balloon

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:54 pm
@MontereyJack,
Well, somewhat on a whim, I asked her over Facebook. Just thought I’d return here and post her response:

“…….wait, are you serious?
YES YES YESE YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
This is really really nice. Thank you thank you!! I can’t believe you asked me!!
ugh, I sound 12 years old right now. Sorry, he he he.

*straightens shirt and regains serious face*

Knowing you, you probably planned the transportation and such a week ago. I can assume that, correct? Additionally, I shall thank you with freshly-baked tiramisu and possibly nerd sex Smile.”

The competition is designed to be the much-anticipated spectator event for a technology museum; people come from around the world to watch every year. Since she already had expressed that she would be interested in watching it, I decided to arrange to pick her up and spend the day at the competition, then go to the prom afterwards.

Thank you to all who have posted.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:50 pm
Hah. GOOD. That is quite possibly the best acceptance speech I have ever seen/heard/read, Good that you're going to the competition together too. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Good luck at the competition, and have a great time at the prom too. See? Aren't you glad you summoned the nerve to ask her?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 07:41 am
@Air Balloon,
Air Balloon wrote:
I decided to arrange to pick her up and spend the day at the competition, then go to the prom afterwards.

errr, isn't she going to need a good amount of time to get ready for the prom? hair/make-up/fancy dress ... all that sort of thing

girls around here usually schedule the whole day with their friends to get ready and then wait together somewhere for the guys and their rides to come pick them up

how about you? where will you get ready for the prom - or can you wear casual clothes to proms where you are. I'm used to them being fairly dressy.
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 10:20 am
@ehBeth,
Wow yeah, agreeing with ehbeth.

Even if a girl isn't that into makeup & hair, this is the type of occassion she needs time to get done up.

I've gotten my hair cut on prom day (my stylist doesn't do proms) and had a lot of fun watching all the girls who come in for up-dos, makeup etc. They do come in groups ususally.
Plus there's the getting into the dress etc.

This is a rite of passage for young ladies.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 07:00 pm
@Air Balloon,
Well that is awesome news indeed! Congrats and good luck at your competition and the prom.

I too was wondering about the timing of it all, I was never a girly girl but even I went all out for prom (my senior prom anyway) and was curious when getting changed was going to fit in the schedule. I'm sure y'all will figure it out. She didn't seem to worry about it from her response. Have fun!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 07:37 pm
I just happened to find this thread, and must agree with the comments made by all of you!

The 20-miles is not really a problem. If that can hold the both of you apart, it only means the interest isn't there to pursue it further.

0 Replies