Twenty-Mile Problem

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:42 pm
I am a junior in high school, in California. I am somewhat introverted; while I do have a small, trusted circle of friends, I am not gregarious and rarely attend social functions. My main attribute I suppose is that I am considered to be extremely dedicated; once I start something, I don't really quit. This way, I have accumulated quite a few prestigious academic awards and have somehow built a strong body after years of working out since I was six, mainly because I didn’t want to be frail and thin anymore. Yes, I realize how arrogant I sound, by the way.

Anyway, I digress (I just added that to give a bit of background). Just this Saturday, I went with my parents to their friends' 25th anniversary celebration (a rare event for me). I didn't really have much to do there, since the adults were busy interacting with each other ("interacting" is perhaps too light a word at Indian parties, if you know what I mean). I noticed a girl sitting by herself in the corner, looking very bored as she stared into a school-copy of The Great Gatsby, and I was pretty bored by this point as well. I managed to pick up the courage to walk over to her and say hello.

I ended up spending the rest of the night talking with her (it was a six-hour party). As it turns out, she is quite like me. She is interested in academics (we are both obsessed with engineering), and happens to be a track and field runner as well. We both adore Pokémon, and both play "competitively" on-line in our spare time (some games are just too good to ever end; you just raise the level of your play). We both even enjoy cooking, although I am pretty pathetic skill-wise (I can barely assemble a sandwich), and she is apparently a very passionate cookie baker. We both play piano, and we both play songs by ear (as in listening to it on an iPod and then translating it onto the piano). Appearance-wise, she was quite attractive, what people would consider “cute” (as opposed to “hot”). I had politely mentioned this to her (namely, without sounding like a douche), and she laughed and said, “I actually really like you too already, but I suppose you hear this from girls a lot!”. This is the first time I have heard anything like this; like I said, I’m not usually a social person. I can’t tell if she was just saying that, but she earnestly seemed to like me. We listened to music, talked, and laughed the night away. She asked how to spell my name at the end of the night (understandably, she didn’t know how to spell my nineteen-letter long first and last name). Later, I saw that she used this to add me on Facebook, to which I happily complied.

During the party, she somewhat abruptly asked if I was going to junior prom. I chuckled and replied that I’d figure it out later. She smiled and said that she was just curious, since someone had asked her the previous day if she’d go to her school prom with him. She said that she said yes, mainly because she didn’t see a reason to refuse him at that moment (she said that she knew him for a while). Then she laughed and said she asked me just because that’s what her “hormonal mind was thinking about today”. Just something I thought a potential replier might want to know.

I would love to spend more time with her, but unfortunately, she goes to a different school than I do. These parties are not very frequent either; maybe three or four times in a year. I have chatted with her on Facebook since, but understandably, this isn’t quite the same. I don’t necessarily want a relationship though; I simply want to spend time with her. However, junior prom is in fact coming up in two or three months, and even awkward turtles like me wouldn’t want to miss that or go alone. I really am not remotely interested in the girls at my school. I understand that some of you will say that “oh, it’s just because you haven’t spent as much time with them”, but believe me, I really don’t care for them. Do you think I could ask her to my school’s promotion, even though she lives twenty miles away from me and doesn’t go to my school? My parents don’t really know hers very well either, so that could be another variable.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, and I look forward to any replies.

P.S. She is Chinese, if ethnicity makes a difference, and I am Indian, as I had implied earlier. Just thought I’d add that in as an after-thought. I made an account specifically to post this, since I don’t know someone I would be comfortable asking “girl advice” for in real-life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,506 • Replies: 26
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 03:04 am
What have you got to lose? Sounds like there was some interest on both sides. Tell her you really enjoyed talking to her and you had a really good time. Suggest doing something together. I know you're in CA and you can't get anywhere without a car, but is there something in between you two that you both could get to? Say on a weekend day, in daylight, that your mutual sets of parents would regard as harmless teenage fun (which is just exactly what you want them to think)? If you don't have a car, can you get them to drive you somewhere? See if you can figure out something to do while you're waiting for the prom. Or go for the big one--just ask her if she'd like to go to your prom--it sounds like she was thinking of it. Ask her. The worst that can happen is that she might say no, which might be really disappointing for awhile but you're 20 miles apart, so there won't be experiencing embarrassing moments running into each other all the time. On the other hand, she might very well say yes. Seize the opportunity. See what hapens.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 04:13 pm
Prom is a pretty big event.

Why not get to know her first, in more informal settings?

See if you can visit her before this big occasion.

Bake cookies with her.
0 Replies

Air Balloon

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 07:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
First of all, thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Yes, you do need a car to go anywhere here in California. However, I can finish drivers' education in a month or two, since I've already completed most of it. I am lucky in that my parents seem to trust me, and I might be able to borrow the family car if only to take her to the prom if she does agree to go with me.

Additionally, I have managed to accumulate quite a lot of personal money (about $2000) from paid internships, awards, etc; since I never spend money on myself otherwise, I can assume that I can deal with monetary issues associated with events like junior prom. If I do ask her, do you think it would be prudent for me to pay for her ticket as well? As you know, she doesn't go to my school in the first place.

Unfortunately, I do not think that I can meet her at all outside of another party like this. While your suggestions would be marvelous if she lived nearby, I don't think they're possible at the current time (seeing as our schedules are both full, and I cannot drive just yet). After thinking about possible solutions for a while, I have concluded that the best I can do is continue to talk to her on Facebook.

I am not really worried about being "rejected"; although I have never really shown interest in girls before, I doubt our correspondence would be affected much. I am also pretty numb to embarrassment anyway, in general. I think I might ask her in a few months... but I'm not quite sure.

I'll see if there's any way for us to meet until then. Any other suggestions? Also, if I am to ask her, do you think simply asking in a chat would do?

Aldistar

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 08:16 pm
@Air Balloon,
You seem to like her and she seems to like you, I would ask her to the prom. It would be a nice first date and you could both learn more about each other. If by chance things don't escalate from there, you can at least know you tried and won't always wonder what might have been.

An added benefit would be that all of the other girls in your class will you see you there, dressed up, with a mysterious girl. This will put you into their "dating awareness" and you may start getting more attention from them. I know you mentioned none of the girls at your school really interest you, but if you interest them and more start talking to you, you may find someone special that you had previously overlooked.

I don't see any harm in asking your new friend. The worst that can happen is you get a "no". If you do ask her and she accepts, it would be polite for you to purchase her ticket for her. Picking her up or arranging the transportation would traditionally be up to you as well.
Air Balloon

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 12:02 am
@Aldistar,
I had implied that I don't care for high school relationships, so I'm not really worried what other girls think of me or her. Nevertheless, you do make a good point, since I don't have much to lose by asking.

My assumption that the ticket and transportation was up to me seems to be accepted; thank you for confirming.

We spoke today for about two hours; it was just on-line, but I feel she is somewhat interested in me. I think I will indeed ask her out. Would it be best to ask two or three weeks in advance? Like I said, I don't really have references in my real life to compare to, so I'm open to suggestions.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 05:12 am
If you chatted with her two or three hours, you both are definitely interested. That's important, maybe most important, KEEP TALKING. Talk about everything, school, your hopes, your dreams,, what you did with your day, jokes you've heard, movies you want to see, your family, and on and on. Don't be super-serious. And talk about HER school, HER hopes, HER dreams, and so on. That's the way you develop trust in each other. See if between the two of you you can come up with a way to see each other again before your prom, if she seems interested in getting together, and it sounds like she does. If you're going to ask her to the prom, give her plenty of lead time, at least a month, probably even a bit more--it sounds like your logistics are going to be complicated, so leave enough planning time. Also think about going to someplace nice for dinner before the prom if she says yes, not some place super fancy or terribly upscale, but a decent restaurant (expecially since you both like cooking). Don't know whether you're both American-food cooks or not--you might suggest exploring the cuisine of one of your respective ethnicities, which could be a good conversation topic too. Ask her if she knows someplace with an interesting approach to food that she'd like to try out. Get her opinion. Your treat. Good luck.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 05:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Agreeing with my colleagues here. Id like to add that we rarely get kids your age who are as competent in their written communications. I am impressed at your ability to convey your thoughts in such a clear fashion. Keep it up and your career in engineering will be assured .
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 08:55 am
Give her at least 3 weeks - girls like that much time to get just the right dress.

Enjoy!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 09:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Agreeing with my colleagues here. Id like to add that we rarely get kids your age who are as competent in their written communications. I am impressed at your ability to convey your thoughts in such a clear fashion. Keep it up and your career in engineering will be assured .

I'm in agreement too.

It seems like the 2 of you have hit it off. I say faint heart has never own fair maiden (or in this case, friend)

Yes, pay for her ticket, it's the gentlemanly thing to do.
Also, if you've accumulated that much cash, perhaps you can arrange for a nice care service to pick you, then her, up.

Tres classy.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 03:18 pm
a corsage is in order too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 04:47 pm
One other thing -- do you know when HER prom is?

It sounds like she may have been angling to have you as her date for that one too (instead of this other guy, though she may be locked in there).
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 04:58 pm
@Air Balloon,
Aside from asking her to the prom, the 20 mile problem doesn't have to be one. My daughter is a sophomore in high school and she and her sophomore boyfriend live more than 20 miles apart. They see each other on Saturdays and we parents take turns in driving the lovebirds to and from places.

Where there is a will there is a way! Good luck to you!
Air Balloon

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 05:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
I have considered simply requesting my parents to drive, especially since I don't think I would be (legally) allowed to take passengers without my parents anyway so soon. Besides, my parents have inquired about her after noticing how much time I spend talking with her; my Facebook chats normally are just project discussions with associates, not conversations with friends. They seem to think highly of her and her family as well, so there may not be a problem.

Your daughter is fortunate to have a considerate mother who would make time to accomodate her like you do.
0 Replies

Air Balloon

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 05:55 pm
@sozobe,
It may have seemed that she may be interested in going with me to her own promotion, but I don't think I would even do that (as much as I would personally like to). I feel that nothing would really be as crushing to the other fellow who just was accepted to find out some random boy from another school she had never mentioned is going with her instead of him.
chai2

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 06:10 pm
@Air Balloon,
Sorry, I meant "car service"

If your parents can't do it, rent a limo.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 04:42 am
Quick note. Good on you for taking the honorable route if she should ask you to her prom. If she asks you, tell her your reasoning, tell her that under the circumstances your going to her prom might not be the best course, BUT at the same time tell her you really would like to see her and propose that the two of you do something else. There has got to be SOMETHING in the twenty-mile circle around your two homes that's fun to do. Suggest that instead of going to her prom if she asks,. If your parennts think highly of her and her parents, that's half the battle right there. Enlist them on your side. Go to them and ask them if they'll help you, if they might drive you guys somewhere. Do some planning. Ask her if she'd like to do something even if it turns out she doesn't ask you to her prom.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 05:04 am
There are so many possible futures here. IF she calls, and IF it turns out she has broken it off with the other guy (but don't count on that happening and I don't think it's really ethical to endcourage it if she hasn't), then you'd probably okay to go. But these are all hypotheticals and you two are still in the very early stages of getting to know each other, which can end up taking a lifetime, so there's really no way of knowing or predicting what may happen. Just make alternative plans.
0 Replies

Air Balloon

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yes, everything is hypothetical at this point. Her promotion is before mine anyway (ironically, exactly three weeks before mine), so by the time she goes with me, if at all, she would have already gone with this other fellow.

I have been preparing for an international engineering competition for the past year, and the event date happens to be exactly on the same day of junior prom (and there is absolutely no way I am not competing). It ends at 6:00, and the times of the junior prom aren't announced/planned yet. Is it generally expected for me to stick around at her home for a while before driving her to the venue? I may not have too much time (although it is not as if I must arrive perfectly punctually to the prom anyway).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:12 pm
Incidentally, "prom" is usually considered a century-or-so-old contraction of "promenade", which is "a march of guests into a ballroom constituting the opening of a formal ball" , not a "promotion", though since CA is usually in advance of the rest of the country culture-wise, so maybe you guys are changing the etymology to s"promotion to 12th grade" or something like that.

Where's the engineering competition, near you or near her or nowhere near either of you. Is it a spectator sport like the robot wars they wage at MIT? Since she's an engineering geek too, could you ask her to come and lend you moral support? Or would that put too much performance pressure on you? If you've got time in between, DO DINNER. You can legitimately bill it as unwinding after all the stress. Figure out a range of possibilities, from burgers at a drive--in if time is short--they've gotta still have them, can't get much more California as the rest of the country sees it than burgers on the strip (get a DVD of "American Graffiti" and an early Beach Boys CD for that 1960 ambience, which you are both too young to remember, but we do). Then go to the prom--fashionably late is fine, but not TOO late.

Oh, while we're doing all this discussion of proms, have you asked her yet? That's kind of the first step.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------