follow a tangent?

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:18 pm
"Many people who are newly invigorated by metaphysical thinking conclude that living in joy means that they're going to be tiptoeing through life's tulips without any challenge or fear forevermore. Nope. Again, if your life didn't have challenges it would not be worth living. For this you're going to have to do your own deductive resoning; this is a tangent that I'll let you follow on your own. But if your life did not have challenges, there would be no adventure. How much fun would it be to win the lottery every single weekend? It wouldn't!" ---- Mike Dooley Manifeting Change

In this paragraph, what does the sentence "this is a tangent that I'll let you follow on your own" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 802 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
maxdancona

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:55 pm
@Justin Xu,
Quote:
How much fun would it be to win the lottery every single weekend? It wouldn't!

That sounds pretty fun to me (but I digress).
0 Replies

maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:57 pm
@Justin Xu,
A tangent is a mathematical term for when you are on a circular path, but keep going straight. In other words, you are going off the path in some set discussion.

In this context, he is making a statement on something that isn't really the focus of what he is talking about. So he mentions it, but keeps going along his track. If you decide to follow this new direction you will be going off on your own (since the book follows a different path).
0 Replies