bush Starts a Phony Commision To Find Himself Blameless

revel

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:42 pm
au1929
Quote:

He is just along for the ride.

Who was it that just said in his book that sitting in a meeting with Bush was like talking to a blind man in a room full of deaf people? Was it Secretary O'neill?

I don't think anything will be found out about anything, but then again I have become so disillusioned these last few years that I have almost no hope left. Utterly depressing. Think I will go back to discussing religion somewhere. I used to like McCain, but he was just in New Hampshire campaigning for Bush Twisted Evil so there goes that.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:59 pm
Unbiased Experts
LOL
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
The commission members do look good indeed. That's an election plus for Bush, as it gives the appearance of fairness and proper intent. Any other response would have cost him.

Of course, he'll continue to do as is Blair, restricting the area of concern the commission is to investigate only to intell failures, but not to the administration's role in interpretation of intelligence to government and the nation, nor to the very interesting questions related to why this administration wanted so very badly to have this war.

All the questions or new revelations of a negative sort that arise in the meantime can be glibly pushed aside, "I don't think it is appropriate for me to comment on a matter while the investigation is on-going. Let's let the commission do its work and let's get on with fighting terrorism." And it is long long after the election when any possible bad news might get validated by that commission, with the liklihood that the limited scope will produce little which the Republicans can't say "Oh piffle" to.

It's the perfect step for Bush to take.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:46 pm
hopefully people will see through that blatham and recognize it for what it and it's intents are.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 08:53 pm
The history books of the future will be full of errors and omissions for our kids to study from. Ain't that grand!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:13 pm
I think that the Bush administration was given intelligence that proved Iraq had WMD's. They believed the information was both current and correct. They also believed that Saddam's actions proved the intelligence.

The intelligence has, thus far, been proven inaccurate. Now, a commission has been drawn up to find out why that happened.

Why do so many of you continue this charade that Bush somehow had this great master plan to invade Iraq and Get Saddam like it was his only goal in life? That's rubbish. First of all, I do not believe for an instant a plan like that could be kept secret. Secondly, if that were the case I don't honestly believe that any other country would have gone along with the US if there were no proof. Finally, I believe that Bush has the best interest of US safety and security at the forefront of his mission as president of the US. He would not jeopardize Americans for a cause that he did not believe in.

Let's let the commission do its job now and see where it goes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:27 pm
McGent, We had inspectors and no fly zones in Iraq. There was absolutely no need to attack Iraq. He was contained, and everybody was safe - including the American People. We have now sacrificed over 500 of our men and women - and created a chaotic condition in Iraq - while we continue to expose our people to more death and mayhem. There was no "urgency."
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 05:35 am
A waste of taxpayer's money
Anyone that can read and do some basic research on the Net will know that the Neo Fascists beat the war drums from the start of the Neo Fascist Admin. The UN report was obvious lies by the disgraced ex. Gen Powell. Go read the PNAC plans and it will be clear. Go read about The Office of Special Plans. The Neo Fascists from BW Bush, Cheney on down should be indicted for war crimes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:45 am
Quote:
Let's let the commission do its job now and see where it goes.

McG....too, too hilarious, following upon what I'd just said would be the predictable response.
Quote:
I think that the Bush administration was given intelligence that proved Iraq had WMD's.
What definition of 'proved' might you possibly be thinking of here?
Quote:
Why do so many of you continue this charade that Bush somehow had this great master plan to invade Iraq and Get Saddam like it was his only goal in life? That's rubbish. First of all, I do not believe for an instant a plan like that could be kept secret.
For over a year now, many of us have been copying or linking the documents and the commentary which show that this was exactly the case, Paul O'Neil's account being only the most recent long planned.

Quote:
Finally, I believe that Bush has the best interest of US safety and security at the forefront of his mission as president of the US. He would not jeopardize Americans for a cause that he did not believe in.

Yes, you apparently do believe that. And you may even be right. But how would that be different from anyone else, even the clerk at your nearest convenience store, not to mention any other member of Congress or the Senate?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 06:50 am
ehBeth wrote:
C'mon. What's the fuss? It worked for his pal, Tony Blair, so why shouldn't George do it as well? That's what being pals is all about!

It always works. I don't remember any of these investigations EVER finding any wrong doing by a pol. If they're to be believed, all politicians are as pious as the pope.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 07:50 am
McGentrix wrote:

Finally, I believe that Bush has the best interest of US safety and security at the forefront of his mission as president of the US. He would not jeopardize Americans for a cause that he did not believe in.
Quote:

And the Tooth Fairy? How do you feel about her?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:44 am
The Intelligence Commission
Published: February 7, 2004
President Bush's new commission to review why the intelligence on Iraq misfired looks more like an effort to deflect attention until after the election than a genuine attempt to get to the bottom of the Iraq fiasco. Though dignified and bipartisan, the members lack the technical expertise to really unravel what was wrong with American intelligence and suggest how to fix it. And Mr. Bush withheld the mandate to get at the big political question they could answer: Did the administration hype intelligence to increase support for the war?
The co-chairmen are appropriately of opposite parties: Charles Robb, a Democrat who married Lyndon Johnson's daughter and went on to be elected as governor and senator in Virginia, and Laurence Silberman, a Republican and retired appeals court judge who was a Reagan appointee. The other five members include Senator John McCain, a maverick Republican known to speak his mind; Lloyd Cutler, who was legal counsel for two Democratic presidents; Richard Levin, president of Yale University; and Patricia Wald, a liberal who was chief judge of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. The only appointee with a deep knowledge of intelligence gathering is Adm. William Studeman, a former deputy director of central intelligence.
This group lacks the stature and name recognition that would give its findings commanding credibility. Worse yet, it looks as if Mr. Bush, who chose not to allow a truly independent panel, will limit its mandate to a review of intelligence gathering and analysis. He has given the panel the authority to examine why the prewar estimates of Iraq's weapons stockpiles differ from what has been found and to evaluate intelligence on weapons programs in other countries. Mr. Bush did not ask the panel for an unfettered look at how his administration had presented the intelligence in making the case for war. By dodging that, the president leaves voters to find their own answers.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:28 am
Seriously, is there any commission that anyone would be happy with that was truly bipartisan? Maybe the UN should do it, everyone thinks they are the end all be all.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:55 am
Brand X
It would help if they appointed people versed in the subject matter.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:02 am
True, and I'm not saying there shouldn't be an inquiry.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:14 am
And I might add that Clark called into a live radio talk show here yesterday and was asked what he thought of Tenet's latest statements regarding Intel, clark posited that there were so many nuances and interpretations to Intel that he couldn't begin to comment on Tenets summary.

So even someone well versed in the matter is still going to end up with a conclusion largely based on opinion and instinct. I don't think any commission findings are going to clear the air, it's too complex and too many people involved.

After all is said and done it will come down to whether you can accept Bush's decision on war.

That really stinks to because I've been looking forward to these hearings and to see who all gets subpoenaed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:37 am
That U.N. idea is interesting. Not that it would make any difference, but why aren't they involved in finding out about this? Isn't one of their main jobs to sort of be a "high court" for the world and rule on things like this?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:44 am
Today's newspaper says that the panel Bush appoints will insulate the white house. That the repubs keep supporting this disgusting individual just goes to show how stubborn they will remain no matter what happens to this country or the world.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:51 am
Well, being stubborn is a natural byproduct of self-righteousness. They really do believe that anything they do is justified for the cause, in my opinion.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:52 am
C.I.
No matter what the findings will be published after the election.
0 Replies