Why did he react that way? What do you think he feels about me?

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:32 am
I like my tour guide, from my trip.
Now, we've been friends for 1 year.

I first met him on my trip on a home stay with his family.
He was my tour guide, and he was being very nice in my whole trip.

When he was with me, he holds my hand, keeping my ears warm, insist carrying my shopping bags without asking, play with my hair, telling me that I look nice, hold my cheeks, praise me, peeling me an apple, helping me to wear shoes, etc.

However,

After I came back to my country, I feel a need to stay in contact with him.
For the whole year, we skype, msn, call, and emailing each other, even though, he might take a very long time to reply me.

One day, I told him I like him, but he only reply thanks, then tries to change the subject.

I went back to his country for a holiday again. I was surprised that he got a new phone number just for me to contact him again. And this time, he went to an extra mile getting concert tickets just for my friend and I. It was nice that we talk more text, and call more often when I was there. It was nice to see him having his huge smile, when I hug and talk to his mother.

Before I left, I told him the truth about my feelings. And his reaction was, he smiled and give shy reactions. Why did he react that way? What do you think he feels about me?

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:56 am
@InHeaven,
Forgive me, and don't shoot the messenger, but this is probably going to seem rather harsh to you, and I apologize in advance for that.

I think he is a nice person who is chickening out when it comes to telling you that he's not interested/doesn't think it will work because of the distance.

Oh, and as for all the stuff when he was your tour guide? That is, in some ways, a part of his job, to make his clients happy. He probably works for tips. Sorry to burst your bubble, but a part of this is him being pleasant in the hopes that he will either get tips or you will recommend his guide services to your friends. It was a commercial relationship - and I also think he exceeded his boundaries with all of that touching. That was probably inappropriate and (I am assuming this was through a company, although he may have been independent) the company he works/worked for most likely doesn't allow it.

As for all of the contacting, it looks like you initiated it, and then he took a while to get back to you/got back to you in his own sweet time. That is not the definition of someone who is truly interested. That is the definition of a friend. And the special phone number? You have no idea how many other people he has given that number to, right?

Even if I am totally wrong, and he love, love, loves you, this is long distance, right? Are you prepared to move? Is he? Because long distance romances stink. They have lousy track records, no matter who is involved in them. Surely there are men in your town, right? I suspect you are idolizing the entire "relationship" because it was purely positive from your standpoint and you have seen nothing of his day to day life. He worked to make you happy. Because that was his job. And he made you feel good, possibly because of overstepping boundaries. Possibly, again, because it was his job. And then you went home and all you had were intermittent contacts on his schedule.

There are other fish in the sea. Forget this idealized whatever it was and concentrate on local people who will be there for you, and who you can see, warts and all, and can make a much more reasoned judgment about.
InHeaven

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:43 am
@jespah,
From the bottom of my heart. Thanks for giving your honest answer. ^^ I do appreciate it.

He wasn't working for a company, he was my home-stay host's son. I know he was doing his job, and you are rite about exceeded his boundaries with all that touching.

Yes, most of the conversation I initiated it but sometimes he do start the conversation first.

1 Day before my flight, after I told him that I was coming back there on a holiday again. He got a new mobile number. I was wondering why he didn't get a mobile number sooner, even though he was back in his country 3 months ago.

[Early 2011-September 2011: He was in UK studying. And he had his UK phone number instead. ]

This time for my trip, I didn't stay with his family and he wasn't my tour guide. But he still helps me getting concert tickets, and queue with us in the cold even though he is not going to the concert.

Yes, Long distance relationship always doesn't work out. But I am prepared to go there to study or even work there one day.

But for now,
I trying to move on but it seems so hard for me....
I trying my best....

Thanks again for your reply ^^
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 02:51 pm
His JOB is to make people feel comfortable and welcome. He must be very friendly with his clients. That includes many of the kindnesses and gestures that you talked about.

Perhaps you misread his kindness. Are you sure you have a clear vision of this?

What has he done or said that makes you sure he is interested in you MORE than just being a client?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 03:01 pm
@InHeaven,
What a lovely guy, I can see why you fell for him.

Can I ask the difference in age between you two?

He could find you cute, adorable, and a need to "look after you", his nature but the hint of whether or not something could develop, I think was in the "how long it took him all the time to answer you"...

Exchange Students are young, so you are young right? Even if he is the same age, or a little older, he could view you, see you like a little sister...

Take the experience as this. You found some core values that you like about a person.. Look for that when you are ready to date, and find someone special in your life...

InHeaven

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 11:49 pm
@PUNKEY,
Hi thank you so much for reading my post, and also replying to my post...

Before I went there, I booked for a homestay.Since I was totally alone, and he just finish his military services, my homestay mother ask her son which was him to be my personal tour guide.

I felt totally nervous, when I found that her son will be my personal tour guide. I have doubts and thinking negative, about my trip. I was thinking what if I can't get along with him. It was his first time being a tour guide. And I was the first foreigner to asked a tour guide service from the family.

You are rite, it was his job to be a good host and guide to show around.For all 8 days, I went out with him. We get along very well, even though I can see that he is nervous. The fustrating part about this trip was the language barrier. Even though, we can communicate but there are some moment he don't get what I'm trying to say.

One day, When we were walking on the train station, he asked for my hand but at the moment I was holding my train ticket. He then took the train ticket, and then he holds my hand. While I was holding his hand, he started to swing it.. So cute!There is some moment when he feels tried he will just rest his head on my shoulder or on my lap.

Its been 6 years since the last guy treat me so well. May be, I might mistook his intension.Anyways thanks for making things clear for me...^^ Appriciate it....
0 Replies

InHeaven

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:04 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Thanks for you reply... ^^
Appriciate it...

He is 3 year elder then me.... ^^

The first time I met him, my age was 22 years old. ^^

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 02:48 pm
@InHeaven,

I think he liked you...Given he put his head on your shoulder or in your lap, and the swinging of the arms.

But, I think as someone else stated, the distance is what has made him go "cold" after all he did get a phone at that time, so you could ring him.

Like I also stated, you know that "good guys" are out there so you know what you are after in life, maybe it was a reminder of what to look for, wrong country, wrong person, bad timing ..

You have told him how you feel but he has not really responded the way you would like him to.

Chalk it down as one of those good memories to take through life.
InHeaven

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 11:50 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Thanks Found Soul! ^^

Well, your reply do really help me to move on.....
However next coming winter will be meet him again.
It will be a challenge for me to treat him like a friend...
0 Replies