Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:17 am
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/289189/state-denial-yuval-levin

Quote:

By Yuval Levin
January 25, 2012 12:27 A.M. Comments13
Toward the end of his State of the Union address, President Obama delivered a paragraph that was so blatantly absurd and self contradictory as to actually become clarifying—so incoherent that it shed a bright light on his thinking and his grave dilemma. It’s hard to believe he actually said this, but he did:

Quote:
I’m a Democrat. But I believe what Republican Abraham Lincoln believed: That Government should do for people only what they cannot do better by themselves, and no more. That’s why my education reform offers more competition, and more control for schools and States. That’s why we’re getting rid of regulations that don’t work. That’s why our health care law relies on a reformed private market, not a Government program.

The examples he chose of course jump out as ludicrous: K-12 education in America is thoroughly dominated by the government, and the president has not proposed to make it less so. (And state governments, by the way, are also governments.) “Getting rid of regulations that don’t work” is certainly an unusual way to describe the regulatory agenda of this administration, which has involved a series of unprecedented delegations of authority to regulators (especially in health care and financial regulation) and which continues every day to spew forth an interminable array of costly, complex, and highly assertive rules that will give the federal government (and the executive agencies in particular) previously unimagined discretion over vast swaths of our economy. And “relies on a reformed private market, not a government program” is surely the most unabashedly dishonest and Orwellian way yet devised to describe Obamacare—a law that begins from the premise that the solution to our health care financing problems is to make the government an even greater provider and purchaser of health insurance, would spend well over a trillion dollars in the coming decade on yet another health care entitlement program and on the expansion of an unreformed Medicaid system, would micromanage the insurance industry in ways likely to make it even less efficient, would employ even heavier price controls in an otherwise unreformed Medicare system, and would raise half a trillion dollars in taxes on employment, investment, and medical research.....

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:51 am
@gungasnake,
Gunga...I really like Obama and I think putting one of the Republicans into office in place of him is one of the worst ideas imaginable.

But when he said those words, I thought to myself that he had given the enemy an unnecessary opening for ridicule. I understand what he was trying to say (Let's get rid of unnecessary regulations), but he could have thought of a better, more clever way to say it.

Government has a place in modern life...a HUGE place. Both sides of the aisle have to recognize that...just as both sides should avoid making government the end-all of making society function.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:02 am

It sounds like Frank drank his breakfast....

Rewarding Obama's bad behavior/performance with another 4 years would be the worst thing that we could do.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:08 am
@H2O MAN,
We've dug ourselves into a deep hole.

Obama has not gotten us out of the hole, but at least we've stopped digging.

Replacing him with a Republican will only lead to more digging.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Government has a place in modern life...a HUGE place. Both sides of the aisle have to recognize that.......

Good theory, but you'd never know it from the recent history of the United States. A big part of the problem is the transformation of the democrat party from the party of FDR which built infrastructure to the party of Bork Obunga which tears infrastructure down for the sake of snails and fish and which sees your "huge place in modern life" as ladling benefits out to financial backers and kept voting blocks. That does not increase the wealth of nations. In fact using the US military and the threat of it for the benefit of George Soros (Libya) and RIAA/MPAA (Megaupload/MegaBox) amounts to international gangsterism which is precisely the term which FDR used to use for Hitler and the other leaders of the axis.

A man from mars looking at the United States today would have to assume that government was inherently evil and that clearly the less we had of it, the better off we'd be, and he'd have to like the pubbie vision of limited government for that reason alone.

Likewise in the case of education which involves one of the two or three most major pillars of financial support for the dem party (NEA), John Gato, a decorated former teacher of the year from NY City and a recognized expert on education has basically said that our public schools are at a point at which many if not most children would be better off being raised in the jungle by chimpanzees like Tarzan.

I mean I have to like FDR and his ideas about building things like the Hoover dam or the TVA which industry had no interest in at the time and I'd assume that FDR were he in the whitehouse today would have designs on a massive space program mainly focused on Mars and on a couple of other projects of similar scope. But those would be his second agenda item. His first agenda item would be rounding up all of the green fools and culture warriors and putting them in cages.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:43 am
@gungasnake,
You've got your opinion, I've got mine.

As for FDR...well, let's let him speak for himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZGkNAUSvY&feature=related

gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
Do you have any sort of a mental picture of FDR telling NASA that their most major focus in life henceforth was going to be helping muslims with their self esteem issues??
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:08 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Do you have any sort of a mental picture of FDR telling NASA that their most major focus in life henceforth was going to be helping muslims with their self esteem issues??

Nope!

Along the same lines, do you have any sort of mental picture of Albert Einstein telling Hollywood producers that henceforth, they should concentrate on making movies in 3D?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:27 am

Last night's campaign speech was supposed to be the “bookend” to Obama’s class warfare speech he made in Osawatomie, Kansas last year. In that speech, Obama talked about the need for “fairness” fifteen times. Last night, he paired it back to only six mentions of the need for “fairness” or millionaires to pay their “fair share.” Obammus DID managed to mention the other F-word once: freedom. Someone also snuck the word liberty – once – into the speech. Must have been a mistake No mention of personal responsibility, but only the responsibility of rich people to pay their fair share.

We also have the “I” word. Obama used that one 45 times. And some people seem to have a problem with people telling them what they “should” and “shouldn’t” do. That word showed up 28 times... Boortz
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That (the thing I mentioned) is in fact the current marching orders for NASA as per directives from Obunga:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/obama-s-new-mission-nasa-reach-out-muslim-world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7875584/Barack-Obama-Nasa-must-try-to-make-Muslims-feel-good.html
parados

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@gungasnake,
I always find it funny what you disagree with gunga...

Quote:
“NASA is not only a space exploration agency,” Bolden concluded, “but also an earth improvement agency.”

But I guess I can see why you might want NASA to be a earth destruction agency.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:07 pm

Obama lied about his 'economic recovery'.

The Fed’s statement following the January meeting noted a shift in policy toward low rates for a more extended period.
The move came amid expectations of continued slow growth and increased global risks.
parados

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

The Fed’s statement following the January meeting noted a shift in policy toward low rates for a more extended period.
The move came amid expectations of continued slow growth and increased global risks.

Do you need the word "growth" explained to you Spurt?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:28 pm
@parados,
Rolling Eyes Continued slow growth does not a recovery make.

The slow growth is happening in spite of Obama's failed policies... this economy needs robust republican growth
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 03:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
The slow growth is happening in spite of Obama's failed policies... this economy needs robust republican growth

It is the "robust republican growth" policies that got us into this mess. The last thing in the world we need right now, is more of that nonsense.
gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 03:09 pm
Interest rates are being held at impossibly low values to prevent a total bankruptcy of the federal government. Right now, on account of this, middle class people have nothing to do with money other than spend it, save it with no interest, or do things which resemble or amount to gambling. There are large numbers of people who were able to live on interest a few years ago who no longer can.

The thing which needs to go is the 1913 system of using federal debt as a basis for money. The system they set up implementing Alexander Hamilton's ideas was fragile at best and a time bomb with a 100-year fuse at worst, but we'd have had another 15 - 20 years to think about what to do without Bork Obunga waltzing in and spending $5 trillion dollars without anything to show for it.

Again best resource on the net for money theory/history topics:

http://www.webofdebt.com

gungasnake

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What got us into the present mess is FANNIE/FREDDIE, and Chris Dodd and Barney Frank wanting to make middle class housing into a perk for membership in their kept voting blocks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:06 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Interest rates are being held at impossibly low values to prevent a total bankruptcy of the federal government.

It doesn't quite work that way gunga. Rates on government bonds are set by the market. (See Greece, which would be more than happy to set their bond rates at 2% vs the 8 or 9% the market is requiring.)

The low interest are for the economy, not the government.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

It is the "robust republican growth" policies that got us into this mess.

Frankie, you're spreading the BS around just like your ruler - give it a rest already.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:48 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Frankie, you're spreading the BS around just like your ruler - give it a rest already.

Why the constant mocking, H2O? Why not have a discussion like an adult...assuming you are an adult?

The country has been under the influence of conservatives for 45 years now. The liberals are barely able to squeak once in a while...while the conservatives have roared. The conservatives have set the drum beat...and the liberals have pretty much danced to that tune.

And here we are...in a deep mess.

So I ask you...why would we want more?

And if you are unable to come up with a reasonable, adult answer...just do more mocking. We will all understand why you are doing it. Even you.