JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:09 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
you are not allowed to disagree, Frank.

that's one of the rules of engagement with that one...

In a nutshell, you are full of ****, Rocky.

As I mentioned, I verily pleaded with MM to disagree with me. I told Setanta time and again that everyone is more than welcome to disagree with me on the Peeves threads. Where do you come up with this nonsense?

I think I even told you to fire away but you said that Bob talked you out of it so ever since you've been sniping away, which is your style.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'll take this one as my bad, Frank.

When I said,

I'd love to read them, Frank. Could you provide a link?

The link I was referring to was,

Quote:
[the] full page in NEWSWEEK Magazine and an op ed sized piece in the New York Times. And more

0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
There you wrote: "I have never seen anyone able to so studiously ignore the facts placed right in front of your nose, except for maybe, MM or Setanta or Gob or ... ."

I did not mention the infinitive that was split from here to hell and back, because I knew that would be dismissed as in one of your prescriptivist arguments.

So why would you mention it now?
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Ha! Now you got that one wrong. That was no ignorant boob writing that. I wrote it!

I appreciate the humor, Frank, really I do, but how does one who skims and skips articles and skips the videos that are the basis of the discussion come out as anything but ignorant or mostly ignorant, or a little bit in the know - take your pick.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I did not mention the infinitive that was split from here to hell and back

Is this hyperbole, Frank?
izzythepush

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 02:41 am
@JTT,
Neither you nor Frank are showering Reagan in glory. All of your back and forth boils down to whether or not you can agree that Reagan was one of the most vicious war criminals. Who would fit that definition? Would it be top ten war criminals, top hundred or top thousand? Once you've decided on that you need to work out where Reagan would fit on that list, then and only then, can you agree on whether you were using hyperbole.

Or you could agree that Reagan was a total **** and have done with it.
JTT

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:45 am
@izzythepush,
It's academic, Izzy. Frank admitted that he was being picayune. I strongly suspect that that's to avoid the uncomfortable truths. It's understandable of course but Frank is an adult and sometime he has to come to grips with this instead of relying on silly excuses.
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 06:40 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5165860)
I'll take this one as my bad, Frank.

When I said,

I'd love to read them, Frank. Could you provide a link?

The link I was referring to was,

Quote:
[the] full page in NEWSWEEK Magazine and an op ed sized piece in the New York Times. And more

Once again…sure, why not!

You will have to get access to the February 21, 1994 edition of NEWSWEEK Magazine (picture of Tanya Harding on the cover). It was a full-page, humorous MY TURN about a cat leash law passed by my local Township Council. I was paid $1000 for that one. NEWSWEEK got over 100 response letters (published 5 of them!)…which I was told was probably a record. I understand MY TURN submissions are often heavily edited for grammatical and punctuation mistakes, but (you gotta take my word on this) not even one comma was changed.

In the March 4th, 1989 edition of the New York Times there is an op ed sized piece printed as a letter. This was about recreational drugs. Once again…not one editing change was made.

In mid-October, 1988 (cannot locate exact editions) of both NEWSWEEK and TIME magazines you would find one of the "and others". Letters-to-the-editor regarding the Lloyd Bentsen/Dan Quayle debate were published. The two major weekly news magazines each received over 800 letters on the debate. I sent a different letter to each magazine…and despite the odds, both were published.

So…although you seem to think I am deficient in English language skills, JTT, these are amateur-writer achievements that seem to indicate otherwise.

By the way, you wrote: "The link I was referring to was,"

I would have written "The link to which I referred was..."

Just would sound better to my ear!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5165860)
Quote:
There you wrote: "I have never seen anyone able to so studiously ignore the facts placed right in front of your nose, except for maybe, MM or Setanta or Gob or ... ."

I did not mention the infinitive that was split from here to hell and back, because I knew that would be dismissed as in one of your prescriptivist arguments.

Quote:
So why would you mention it now?

Because it is part of the fun, JTT. Thanks for asking. Responding to these kinds of questions is also part of the fun.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
@Frank Apisa,

Quote:
Ha! Now you got that one wrong. That was no ignorant boob writing that. I wrote it!

I appreciate the humor, Frank, really I do

Good. I was beginning to worry about you.

Quote:
…but how does one who skims and skips articles and skips the videos that are the basis of the discussion come out as anything but ignorant or mostly ignorant, or a little bit in the know - take your pick.

Don’t have to make a pick. There is no correlation between skimming, skipping articles and videos in a discussion about whether your comment was hyperbole--and being ignorant. I think your comments about me being ignorant have been motivated by the same thing that motivates your dozens upon dozens (no hyperbole here) of similar comments to so many others, JTT. You just do that sort of thing often!

Perhaps it makes you feel better about yourself.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
@Frank Apisa,

Quote:
I did not mention the infinitive that was split from here to hell and back

Quote:
Is this hyperbole, Frank?

Yup!

Nothing wrong with hyperbole, JTT…in fact, often it is useful to make a point.

But when it is noted, usually people of character acknowledge that it is there rather than try to make the other person wrong.
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 06:44 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Neither you nor Frank are showering Reagan in glory. All of your back and forth boils down to whether or not you can agree that Reagan was one of the most vicious war criminals. Who would fit that definition? Would it be top ten war criminals, top hundred or top thousand? Once you've decided on that you need to work out where Reagan would fit on that list, then and only then, can you agree on whether you were using hyperbole.

Or you could agree that Reagan was a total **** and have done with it.

Last thing in the world I would want to do, Izzy, is shower Reagan in glory. (Yeah, there was hyperbole in that sentence.)

You are correct that standards ought to be set...and then Reagan measured against them. But that would not be as much fun as what is going on now. If you or JTT wants to do the work, though, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I will stick with the hyperbole comment being an opinion of mine.
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 06:48 am
@JTT,
Quote:
It's academic, Izzy. Frank admitted that he was being picayune. I strongly suspect that that's to avoid the uncomfortable truths. It's understandable of course but Frank is an adult and sometime he has to come to grips with this instead of relying on silly excuses.

I truly never said I was being picayune (I almost never use that word). I said my remark was "off the cuff." I am not avoiding "uncomfortable truths." I do, however, sometimes take issue with opinions that are being touted as uncomfortable truths...which is what is happening here.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 08:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Otherwise, I will stick with the hyperbole comment being an opinion of mine.

So there!!! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. (Slams door and indignant footsteps fade away into the night. )
cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:13 pm
@spendius,
"into the night?" LOL You mean, into your local pub.
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think Spendius was talking about me doing the slamming and walking.
JTT

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
So…although you seem to think I am deficient in English language skills, JTT, these are amateur-writer achievements that seem to indicate otherwise.

You still don't understand, Frank, but really it's not at all necessary that you do.

Quote:
By the way, you wrote: "The link I was referring to was,"

I would have written "The link to which I referred was..."

Just would sound better to my ear!

Sounding better to one's ear isn't a good measure for appropriate speech or writing. In fact, it is more than useless for teaching anyone, native speaker or ESL, about the English language.

Quote:
Because it is part of the fun, JTT. Thanks for asking. Responding to these kinds of questions is also part of the fun.

But hypocrite that you are, you avoided the hyperbole issue. You're not so daft as to think that there is anything wrong with a split infinitive, are you, Frank?

Quote:
You just do that sort of thing often!

That's because it's necessary, Frank. You won't read the stuff necessary to get up to speed on anything yet you still proffer uniformed opinions.

Quote:
Perhaps it makes you feel better about yourself.

Not at all. As I mentioned, it's simply necessary.

Quote:
But when it is noted, usually people of character acknowledge that it is there rather than try to make the other person wrong.

You didn't need any help to be wrong, Frank. You are perfectly capable of that. You were wrong about this - a number of people pointed that out to you. And you offered the same thing you always offer, absolutely nothing to back up your uninformed opinions.

Now show us that Reagan wasn't one of the most vicious war criminals to ever walk the planet.
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:31 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5166086)
Quote:

You still don't understand, Frank, but really it's not at all necessary that you do.

Boy...talk about avoiding issues!!!

Quote:
Now show us that Reagan wasn't one of the most vicious war criminals to ever walk the planet.

Is that necessary? You are the one asserting he was one of the most vicious war criminals ever to walk the planet (by the way, you split your infinitive)...and the burden of proof falls on you.

List all the war criminals who have ever walked the planet...tell me where Reagan stands. Then we can discuss it.

Quote:
But hypocrite that you are, you avoided the hyperbole issue. You're not so daft as to think that there is anything wrong with a split infinitive, are you, Frank?

JTT...whatever would lead you to think that I have avoided the "hyperbole" issue. I have been right here for you.

And you had to characterize me as a "hypocrite!" Ahhh...I'll bet that made you feel much better about yourself.

(You are doing all this just to entertain me, right?) Wink Wink Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I know spendi was talking about you, but as an observer of spendius, I have a good idea where he's headed when he goes out from his home.

That's what is called statistical probability. Mr. Green
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I know spendi was talking about you, but as an observer of spendius, I have a good idea where he's headed when he goes out from his home.

That's what is called statistical probability.
Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The pub is the only place to find out what is really going on.
cicerone imposter

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:54 pm
@spendius,
Therein lies your cloistered brain.
spendius

Tue 13 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Anybody can go into a pub. Not anybody can write the scripts in Media. That's where the real cloister is.
0 Replies