JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Actually, JTT, that was very funny...although to my ear, there were some grammatical inconsistencies (anyone/your)...although I know you will suggest that is only the prescriptionist in me at work.

Question, did you put that in there to test whether or not I would mention it?

The word is prescriptivist.

Your "ear" isn't any better than your "brain", Frank. We've seen where both have taken you. It ain't been pretty.

Quote:
I have no problem facing "uncomfortable truths", JTT. Not sure where you get that idea...although I do notice you have a very fertile imagination.

You do it so regularly, Frank, that it's like taking a whiz to you. How many of those articles/videos on this issue or language issues have you ever read/watched? Now try to break habit and be honest on this one.
reasoning logic

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:52 pm
@JTT,
Call me a fool for suggesting that you would come out ahead a little bit more if you were to tone it down a little.

JTT I think that you might find your viewpoints to be more considered if you also were able to keep your emotions at bay. Surely I am wrong in much of what I share but I find that Frank and CI to be both intellectuals but if you are going to try and share with them your emotional view point I think they may also return the same toward you.

Please try and keep it simple and who knows what may happen.
I find that Franks logic is exceptional at times and Ci knowledge on the economy to be the same but if you come across as being extreme they may not get the message that you are trying to share.
Lash

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:58 pm
@revelette,
93 percent.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:01 pm
@Thomas,
Now I'm smiling. Yes, it is!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:22 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5165710)
Quote:
Actually, JTT, that was very funny...although to my ear, there were some grammatical inconsistencies (anyone/your)...although I know you will suggest that is only the prescriptionist in me at work.

Question, did you put that in there to test whether or not I would mention it?

Quote:
The word is prescriptivist.

Your "ear" isn't any better than your "brain", Frank. We've seen where both have taken you. It ain't been pretty.

I screwed up on the word, but you hit on that rather than dealing with what was said. Isn't that the kind of nit-picking that you have been accusing me of doing?

What about the grammatical inconsistencies that I mentioned? Just my tin ear? And why do you have such a poor opinion of my brain? My brain has produced comments good enough for a full page in NEWSWEEK Magazine and an op ed sized piece in the New York Times. And more...which I would be happy to brag about if you want to hear it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have no problem facing "uncomfortable truths", JTT. Not sure where you get that idea...although I do notice you have a very fertile imagination.

You do it so regularly, Frank, that it's like taking a whiz to you.

Actually, age has been showing itself to work against having "a whiz" be effortless for me these days...so your choice of wording here was unfortunate, although I laughed a loud laugh when I read it because of the problems.

Quote:
How many of those articles/videos on this issue or language issues have you ever read/watched? Now try to break habit and be honest on this one.

Why would I have to break a habit to be honest? Where do you get this stuff from? I am honest.

I read some articles; I skim some; I mostly do not view videos.

Honest enough?

But to what end?
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:27 pm
@reasoning logic,
Thank you for the kind words, RL. I truly am trying to be reasonable in what I am saying here.

The comment about hyperbole to JTT was an off-the-cuff thing until he (she) made a big deal of it. I truly expected him to say something like: "Well, maybe it was a bit over the top, but in my opinion Reagan was a scumbag."

We'll see where this goes. Several people have suggested that I simply ignore JTT, but I am loathe to do that. I like to hear opinions that disagree with my opinions so that I can give them consideration. But JTT just flies off the handle so easily.
Rockhead

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
he's not sharing his message.

he's steamrolling it...
reasoning logic

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I read some articles; I skim some; I mostly do not view videos.

Really Frank, You honestly do not view my videos? just kidding Frank.

0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

he's steamrolling it...

That's exactly what's needed with a bunch of Rockheads, Rockhead. Smile

And stop being so damn dishonest. Everyone tries to say it's me, it's my message. The facts are not from me. So stop trying to shoot the messenger.

You know you could prove me wrong and it would all go away.

That's not an option for you, is it, Rocky?
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not really sure what in hell you are talking about here, JTT...you are not an especially clear writer. (I apologize if English is a second language with you.)

You are not an especially clear thinker, Frank.

Quote:
I did not write the comment you italicized...Spendius did.

No, Spendius didn't. You don't even recognize the very sentence that you have been making these inane arguments about. I wrote the sentence that I italicized.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The comment about hyperbole to JTT was an off-the-cuff thing until he (she) made a big deal of it. I truly expected him to say something like: "Well, maybe it was a bit over the top, but in my opinion Reagan was a scumbag."

Why would a guy who purports to be serious in his discussions continue on for how many posts?, dwelling on "an off the cuff thing"?

Typical of those who want to avoid the real issue.

It is my considered opinion from much research that Reagan was one of the most vicious war criminals to ever walk the planet. Not thee most vicious, ONE of the most vicious. I pointed out why I believe that to be the case.

Spendi schooled you in regard to your lack of understanding vis a vis the word 'hyperbole'.

You, from your normal vantage point of no research and a lifetime of pablum fed you by your government and media, hold to a different opinion. Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to confuse those as facts.

Then comes your admission that you "skim" the articles and never watch the videos. How on earth do you expect to operate from that level of ignorance?

To illustrate my point, that's exactly what you did on the language issues. It was abundantly clear that you skimmed and failed to read because you couldn't make heads or tails of the concepts found within the articles I presented. Your confusion was palpable, Frank, though you took great pains to deny that.

Now why did you really continue for so long with this silly off the cuff notion?
JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

he's steamrolling it...

And you are attempting to paper it over. Ten million people dead, millions upon millions of lives wrecked, countries destroyed, innocents raped and tortured, bombed into oblivion and gunned down by marauding assassins, ... .

Which message do you really think is needed, Rocky, yours or mine?

JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am not satisfied to remain ignorant on these issues, JTT. Whatever gives you these strange ideas?

From the ignorant boob who wrote,

"I read some articles; I skim some; I mostly do not view videos."

snood

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:30 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

he's steamrolling it...

And you are attempting to paper it over. Ten million people dead, millions upon millions of lives wrecked, countries destroyed, innocents raped and tortured, bombed into oblivion and gunned down by marauding assassins, ... .

Which message do you really think is needed, Rocky, yours or mine?

So, are you using other internet forums and venues like town squares to spread your message, or are we here on A2K the only ones so blessed to have you (daily and endlessly) saving us from our civic ignorance?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT.

So...I disagree with your opinion that Ronald Reagan is one of the most vicious war criminals ever to walk the planet...and call it hyperbole on your part...

...and in response you have managed to question my integrity, my intelligence, and my honesty.

Wow!

And you wonder why people will not talk with you.

Hey...I'm here for ya. I will talk with you for as long as you want to talk.

Weird thing though:

I think you are intelligent (rash, but intelligent), I enjoy the discussion, I have no reason to question your integrity or honesty...and I want to talk with you.

You on the other hand think I am lacking in integrity...lacking in honesty...lacking in intelligence...and you seem to abhor talking with me.

Yet here we are...talking and talking and talking.

I enjoy discussing these things with you...I enjoy the interplay...and generally don't have negative thoughts about you being foremost in my mind. (Mind you, I am not saying I do not have negative thoughts about you...I think everyone here has negative thoughts about you, but they certainly are not salient to the point where I would mention them often.)

You, on the other hand, seem to think almost nothing except negative thoughts about me...mentioning negative things about me in a majority of your posts...yet we talk and talk and talk.

Tell me...who do you think is being more reasonable here? Considering all that, does your continuation of the discussion with me seem more reasonable than my continuing discussions with you. (I recognize to others who have strong negative feelings for JTT, my continuation of the discussion might seem irrational, but I am mostly interested in what JTT thinks about this.)
Rockhead

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
you are not allowed to disagree, Frank.

that's one of the rules of engagement with that one...
JTT

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 08:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I screwed up on the word, but you hit on that rather than dealing with what was said. Isn't that the kind of nit-picking that you have been accusing me of doing?

Then you continued,

Quote:
What about the grammatical inconsistencies that I mentioned? Just my tin ear? And why do you have such a poor opinion of my brain? My brain has produced comments good enough for a full page in NEWSWEEK Magazine and an op ed sized piece in the New York Times. And more...which I would be happy to brag about if you want to hear it.

I'd love to read them, Frank. Could you provide a link?

I've explained this many times, and I would be foolish to try again.

You simply do not understand the difference between the unconscious deployment of grammar and the conscious description of those deployments.
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:01 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5165759)
Quote:

Then you continued,

Quote:

I'd love to read them, Frank. Could you provide a link?

Sure...why not.

Here is the link:

http://able2know.org/topic/183615-42#post-5165666

There you wrote: "I have never seen anyone able to so studiously ignore the facts placed right in front of your nose, except for maybe, MM or Setanta or Gob or ... ."

I did not mention the infinitive that was split from here to hell and back, because I knew that would be dismissed as in one of your prescriptivist arguments.

But I did write in response: "Actually, JTT, that was very funny...although to my ear, there were some grammatical inconsistencies (anyone/your)...although I know you will suggest that is only the prescriptionist in me at work. Question, did you put that in there to test whether or not I would mention it?"

Seems to me that should have been "his nose"...not "your nose."

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:03 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5165836)
you are not allowed to disagree, Frank.

that's one of the rules of engagement with that one...

Yeah! Wink

Anyway, just having some fun with a friend here...an accommodating friend. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:04 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5165718)
Quote:
I am not satisfied to remain ignorant on these issues, JTT. Whatever gives you these strange ideas?

Quote:
From the ignorant boob who wrote,

"I read some articles; I skim some; I mostly do not view videos."

Ha! Now you got that one wrong. That was no ignorant boob writing that. I wrote it!