Why does my dog bite kids' toes?

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:07 pm
My dog is a bit odd. I've mentioned that he is a social eater (he waits to eat when we or the kids sit down to eat).

Well he has another odd habit -- he bites kids toes. Not hard, but more nips at them. And usually this is when he is eating and they are sitting at the kitchen table eating. He will run under the table and nip their toes and then go run and grab a bite (of his food that is). And if they are not sitting at the table - he will come run at them and nip their toe where they are standing.

Now why in the heck does he do this? He only does it to kids - not just our kids, but we have other kids over. He doesn't do this to any adults.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,031 • Replies: 12
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:14 pm
@Linkat,
What's his cut off age or is he partial to a bit of teenage toe too?

Razz Sounds like a dish, Teentoetoo, yum.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:21 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
My older daughter is 13 so I guess it applies to teenagers.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:25 pm
@Linkat,
Your dog is not a bit odd. Your dog is degenerate.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:26 pm
@Linkat,
I would think it's an act of dominance, letting the kids know it's his food and not to touch it.
Maybe a toddler tried to touch his bowl before. Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:33 pm
@roger,
He is - now what do you make of this - he does to have sex with our male cat....he has been fixed so you'd think he wouldn't have the urge - so he is gay and he cross species....

Now mind you the cat gets pissed at him when he tries - the kids get a hoot out of it. And I get disgusted.
Ceili

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:36 pm
@Linkat,
That's a dominance thing too. He's trying to show your kids and the cat who's boss.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:38 pm
@Ceili,
As long as he keeps the sex thing with the cat only - although the cat is boss....
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:40 pm
@Linkat,
So he's Trans- species, gay and has a foot fetish!, well we have a saying here in Ireland 'He didn't lick it of a stone. did he?'. Wink
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:41 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I told you he is odd.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:42 pm
@Linkat,
It's not a sex thing. I have two male dogs, the big ones fixed the other's not. They routinely try to prove who's the top dog. I don't allow it if I'm near, 'cause I'm the boss.
Your cat is the boss but you can't blame the pup for trying. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@Linkat,
My guess is that they use their feet to play with him, and he still thinks it is play time.

Every once in awhile our dogs do the same thing, attack my toes while I'm walking or just out of the blue while I'm sitting.

It usually happens after I've forgotten about the consequences and play with them, using my feet. It takes a day or two before they forget all about my feet and leave them alone again.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
He does that with my hands when I stop petting him. He nips at them to try and make me continue.
0 Replies