With all due respect to Mick Jagger?

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:30 am
"Surely we can’t always get what we want, and, with all due respect to Mick Jagger, we often don’t even get what we need."

Why does the sentence mention Mick Jagger here? I know he is a famous singer.

View best answer, chosen by PennyChan
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:32 am
@PennyChan,
dont ever call me shirley
0 Replies

farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:36 am
@PennyChan,
Quote:
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" was originally released on the B-side of "Honky Tonk Women" in July 1969. Although it did not chart at the time, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" later reached number 42 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1973. One of the Stones' most popular recordings, it has since appeared on the compilations Hot Rocks, Singles Collection, Forty Licks, Rolled Gold+: The Very Best of the Rolling Stones (2007 edition), Singles 1968-1971 (single version), and Slow Rollers.
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" is very popular at Rolling Stones shows due to the sing-along chorus, and is played at almost every show (where it is custom for Jagger to change the lyrics from "my favourite flavour, cherry red" to the question "What's your favourite flavour?" to which the audience replies "Cherry red"). Live recordings appear on the albums Love You Live, Flashpoint, Live Licks, and The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus recorded in 1968.
PennyChan

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:41 am
@farmerman,
Thanks!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:43 am
The lyric of the song goes:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes
You just might find
You get what you need.

So the author is contradicting Mr. Jagger's lyric by saying that people often don't even get what they need.
PennyChan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:51 am
@Setanta,
Thanks!
0 Replies