LIES ABOUT Ws M D and newest policy of preemptive wars

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:55 pm
seems thewMD deception perped by our executive branch has undermined their own newly hatched policy of neccessary foreign intervention and preemptive striking a bit. Even the most loyal of Legislative members will have to reconsider any future "foreign adventures" , in light of our presidents deception.After all, getting re-elected is the purpose of getting elected in the first place.
Am i missing something in presenting this conclusion? I apologize if someone has brought this to our attention prior, Im sometimes a bit dense on the uptake.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
In a system like ours you probably only get to get away with it once or twice before the congress and the people react to put a reign in on it.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
That seems to be the reason for these constant orange alerts and airline flight cancellations. The logic seems to run that if you keep people scared enough. the lies don't matter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:44 pm
But the entire Doctrine of preemptive striking, to me, now seemsdead as an enduring policy. im fine with that , dont get me wrong. I just wonder how stupid we must appear to this administration. Thats what really ticks me off.
They trump up an argument based, at least partly on ws M D and , from That comes a Bush Doctrine that sez "sometimes to strike first is good"

Didnt they think this out?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
If you keep people in a state of high anxiety, and that, as far as I can see, is the purpose of these constant alerts. Then a preemptive stance seems reasonable (get them before they get us).
0 Replies

Noahs Hard Left Hook

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 04:05 pm
farmerman wrote:
But the entire Doctrine of preemptive striking, to me, now seemsdead as an enduring policy. im fine with that , dont get me wrong. I just wonder how stupid we must appear to this administration. Thats what really ticks me off.
They trump up an argument based, at least partly on ws M D and , from That comes a Bush Doctrine that sez "sometimes to strike first is good"

Didnt they think this out?

Farmerman,

The thing that gets me is that "Boogieman Of The Month" thing administration(S) try to pull of as the latest, baddest, maddest guy since Satan was boosted from Heaven. Maybe its me but I not moved by those particular personifications of "evil" as an excuse to slaughter primarily the very people we say suffer because of our 'favorite' madman's terror.

That's perhaps the most insulting thing...
The way they drum it up in the media (talking heads) and within the Administration you would think the "guy" is coming in the middle of the night to eat your children.
Quote:
The logic seems to run that if you keep people scared enough. the lies don't matter.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. But I'm perhaps more cynical. I think someone mentioned our great political doctrine where the ends justifies the means... It seems to me that so many people could care less what happens to other people in the world as a result of our policies. As long as Uncle Sam 'keeps bringing home the bacon' and all appearances make it seem as if we are still living the "good life"... Our armed forces could obliterate and entirely innocent country - one without a psycho (puppet) leader - and the general public would go along with almost any rationale that says "we're doing it for our interest".

I call it the "Bread Buttered" syndrome...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:08 pm
then we do need to consider our
"mission statement' so skillfully penned in the declaration of independence.
Although weve never owned it, we need to wrest control of this country from those who dont represent us so well.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:09 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
In a system like ours you probably only get to get away with it once or twice before the congress and the people react to put a reign in on it.

According to Noam Chomsky's Hegemony Or Survival the US has actually gotten away with similar stuff for years!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:22 pm
I know they have traditionally gotten away with it in S America, where nobody has ever made a moral issue of it in a way that stirs up the public. Mainly I think they get away with it there because the people of the USA and the rest of the world consider S America our back yard and our personal "stomping" ground. But, the other parts of the world require better arguments than that.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:51 pm
On another, less well mannered board, I have seen those who regularly self identify as far right wing express the opinion that pre-emptive actions, like those in Iraq, are justifiable because they build "pride in being American." Shocked Sad
I guess I see this as being similar to people who's whole sense of self is tied into how well their local sports teams do. How utterly sad, eh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 07:45 am
This AM on the IMUS show, George Will came out and essentially stated that the scariest thing about pre-emptive wars , is that weve expected that our information was the best and entirely justified our actions. Since its been a failed intelligence system, the concept is unsustainable by a nation like ours. WILL feels that Bush , candidate Bush is seriously vulnerable because of this Gaff. Will, in this usual display of dispassionate analysis, wasnt trying to spin the data into a "well, even so, we did the right thing"

"we did a terribly stupid thing, and the difference between , 'we believe that saddam has Ws MD' and "We know that saddam has Ws MD' is the difference between lightning and lightning bug"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 08:49 am
farmerperson

I meant to address your thread days ago, but didn't find the opportunity. Your thesis is, I think, a very astute one, and it is also highly consequential.

There was really no serious argument advanced, from left or right, which didn't acknowledge that pre-emption was an 'extreme' policy. The neocon community themselves certainly held it to be extreme, holding that extreme policies were precisely what was necessary. Arrayed against that position was pretty much the rest of the world, who certainly thought pre-emption an extremist idea, but not at all a good idea.

Extreme, or untried, social and political policies are uniquely susceptible to reversal. The electorate (and media) notices them, and pays acute attention to their progess towards success or failure. Of course, this is dependent upon such politicies being publicly announced. Covertly implemented, they can slip by, wreaking havoc or actually providing solutions, and in those cases we have to wait to hear from historians about what went on (we, that is, the royal we or the editorial we, do NOT approve of such covert policies and operations in a democracy, by the way).

But this pre-emptive policy was introduced with such bombast that they might just as well have put bleachers out under the sun and supplied hot dog vendors for our afternoon convenience. And THAT has been our saving grace.

Your thesis is surely correct. Now, any administration PR campaign to, say, premptively attack Syria, is NOT going to work. We know now that these guys are highly susceptible to errors in judgement regarding whom to launch such a war against, regarding why such ought to be done, and regarding what will happen in that country after.

I wouldn't be the first person to call this administration arrogant. The wonderful irony is that it has been this arrogance which, as is always the case with loudly trumpeted arrogance, has provided the quickest means towards its own demise.

And one wonders, in dismay, have none of these assholes ever read a greek play? Of course, there's a very good likelihood that most of them haven't, what with the power seeking and money making and all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:29 am
ahhh, a Greek tragedy, yes, almost like aliterary kit from which to extract what not to do, in similar situations .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 12:31 pm
Yes, precisely!

rule 2: hubris kills

rule 1 (obviously): mom? Is that you?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:12 pm
10 more months
The Neo Fascists can wreak a lot of havok in that time frame.
They are now on the defensive but won't remain in that posture for long. If the Dems don't launch a frontal attack on this pack of plunderers right now and relentlesly keep the heat on the Neo Fascists will frame the war once again.

Right now there are two wars of Imperialism abroad and one war against the American people on the homefront. Anyone that doesn't understand the John Edwards concept of two Americas is not merely campaign rhetoric is not awake to reality.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 04:12 pm
Do you notice that when someone in a uniform makes a statement or expresses an opinion, we give it nothing but respect and attention?.

i see a major research proposal in the germinal stages here. Does a2k have a research grants committee?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:21 am
After your research monies pour in, please include me as a control.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:37 am
Blatham pointed me in this direction, so Ill post here what I've posted elsewhere.

Now for the most encouraging piece of journalism I've read in a long while

John kampfner writes in todays new Statesman.

Quote:
"Tony Blair welcomes Libya's foreign minister to Downing street. Prince Charles goes to Tehran for talks with Iran's president. Two huge bombs go off in and around Baghdad, k9lling up to 100 people. Compare and contrast: the old fashioned policy of "constructive engagement" with states we called rogues and the strategic and security disaster that is Iraq.
Diplomacy, the practice of compromise and moral relativism, is back in fashion. The new world order proclaimed after 911, the pre emptive security doctrine fashioned by George W Bush and endorsed by Blair is fading away.

....At a recent conference on Iran, the US undersecretary and hawk in residence at the State Department, John Bolton, denounced the Europeans for engaging with the axis of evil. "I don't do carrots" he said. Behind the bombast however, therre is nowhere now for the Americans and the British to go. Blair has already rediscovered his fondness for diplpmats' favourite vegetable."
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
mark
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:33 am
The other day after his interview was received less warmly by all sides George Bush asked his aides for an explanation.

They gave him a copy of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."
0 Replies