hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:44 pm
YOGURT
LACTAID : if you have trouble digesting dairy foods "lactaid" will help your little tummy in the digestion process. hbg see >>>LACTAID
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:47 pm
thanks hambuger Smile Those are staples in my home.
Like the little tummy comment..its cute!

Back to yogurt and Kefir

Can I find Kefir in say Stop & Shop?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:52 pm
I dunno, Q, about finding kefir at S&S. Does it have one of those little health food sections? Maybe there.

And, I don't understand your last lactaid/sugar comment.

Going to have some more yogurt.........
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:57 pm
It does have one of those little health food sections...Ill have to see if I can find it then.

If the only difference from regular milk to lactaid is removing the lactose enzyme which is actually a sugar then, it shouldnt interfere with trying this is what Im thinking..or trying to think but not getting out quite right but, I think that does it.

Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:59 pm
I don't think that extra sugar does anything bad to the live cultures - is that what you're thinking? Sugar feeds the bad cultures, but doesn't kill off the good ones.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:06 pm
yes, thats it...thank you
...however is Lactose the good sugar or the bad sugar feeder? Since its removed, if its the bad sugar..thats fine, the good sugar..then its probably not good.

LOL

blah.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:08 pm
I think yeast will eat any sugar.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
I now owe you for further nutritionist information. Bill me. And continue on in your helpful nutritionist ways.
oh yes, and much thanks.

Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:14 pm
charight
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:48 am
but yogurt bacteria is not related to yeast bacteria - i think the yogurt bacteria may need the lactose - something to look into

do the none-lactose yogurts show that they have the active culture?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 09:34 am
blah

maybe later

Wink
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Yogurt is yucky. Yeast is also used to make beer. Just drink more beer.

Just remember, once again, you're going to croak anyway. No point wasting precious time eating yucky yogurt.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:01 am
yogurt
here is an interesting article about the subject; i think i am beginning to understand it now >>> LACTASE/LACTOSE/YOGURT !?!?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
Littlek, I looked at Stoneyfields' web site -- they do have stores in my area, sorta. About 10 miles away, and I'm a bus person... Something else will have to take me to that part of town first.

Now I know they send it all the way out here, though, I'll be asking at my local stores! Thanks!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 04:33 pm
Quote:
Yogurt with active cultures may be a good source of calcium for people with lactose intolerance, because bacterial cultures used in making yogurt produce some lactase. That makes it easier to digest.

lovely walter...thanks
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:00 pm
There seems to be some confusion here.

Yeast is bad, mkay? Acidopholus is good. Bifidus is good. All are present in a healthy gut, the good and the bad keep eachother in check. When you take antibiotics, all the flora get killed off, but the yeasts (bad) come back quickest and gain a strong hold in your intestines. Drinking beer would just make it worse. Eating yogurt cultures (good) would make it better.

What's wrong with a little yeast over-kill in the gut? Yeast produces alcohol as it goes through it's little life cycle. And, maybe gas, I can't remember. What's wrong with a little full-time buzz? It's really annoying when you're trying to concentrate.

Also, extra yeast in the gut can also lead to frequent yeast infections in both men and women. Yes, it's true. Men, as usual, get off easy (hahaha!) when it comes to yeast infections as they can just take a shower to make it go away. But if the yeast is being supplied to the croth (snicker - Beth, what was that website about yeast infections?) at a continuous and steady rate, it can reoccur.

As to sugar (not 'Sugar', but glucose), I know that yeast eats it to live, I know nothing about whether acidophilus et al need it to live, but I don't think they do.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 05:08 pm
My grocery store here in Florida (Publix) has kefir in the dairy case with Stoneyfield yogurt and soy milk. The brand is "Lifeway" and according to the label it "contains active probiotic cultures" Their website is www.kefir.com.

According to their FAQ page:

"Although kefir and yogurt are similar in taste, Lifeway Kefir has more than double the amount of live and active cultures-10 strains of bacteria- whereas yogurt only has two or three. Some (particularly frozen) yogurts do not contain any live bacteria or could have bacteria that have long since died, due to processing and other disruptive factors."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:11 pm
Probiotics rule!
So I guess I'll be off to look for that Iranian shop we found the kefir in.
In the meantime, more yogurt tonight.
My gut is much happier than it was two weeks ago.
I'm glad hamburger 'made' me go get some active yogurt.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:28 pm
YOGURT
you REALLY want to know who and what is living in your gut ? well, don't say i didn't warn you ... but here come all the creepy-crawlies >>> PROBIOTICS
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
what? No pictures?
0 Replies