Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:48 am
Some of those custardy yoghurts are not "live". Check the label. I know that the Dannon regular stuff is.

Anyhow, if you are using yoghurt to increse intestinal flora, and don't care for it, why don't you simply pop an acidophilus pill? It does the same thing.
You can get it in the super market vitamin section, or if they don't have it, in a drug store. (You can even get it in Wal-Mart, although I know that some A2Kers would have my hide for mentioning that! :wink: )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:07 am
is this where i do my rant about taking pills to do something which you can get from your diet? no? o.k. - you can just imagine it.

i was thinking about the dip and chips part of your regular diet, fishin'. You could always take a plain yogurt, mix in some flavourings (lots of ways to do that) - add a bit of sour cream for richness - and you'll get your dip and chips without straying too far from your regular routine. hamburger makes a very tasty salad dressing with yogurt and herbs from the garden, mixed with some basic bottled dressing. very tasty.

Heating the yogurt won't be good for the "active" part of the yogurt, so don't cook with it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:25 am
And don't freeze it.

Honey and plain yogurt are a wonderful combo
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 01:29 pm
Honey and plain yogurt is a great dressing for a fruit salad. Just don't go feeding honey to babies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
Everybody have their yogurt today?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:17 pm
No yogurt today...but I bought a lemon and chocolate yogurt to swirl together. I read ebeth's post and had to try it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:25 pm
I have yet to go to the store and stock up...got my Lucky Charms though...doesnt help, does it? Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:38 pm
Yogurt!
We've got to have our yogurt.

I just had my active culture balkan style strawberry on the bottom yogurt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:51 pm
I just drank my wild berry yogurt smoothie - 40%calcium right there!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 01:41 am
My favorite was Caramel. They (Lucerne/Safeway) quit making it. Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:15 am
Just like those tasty, sweet and 'unhealthy' yoghurts outthe the bariety of sixty+ you can get in any supermarket here, and I don't care of they are active, dextrorotatory ...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 05:47 pm
Wy - Stoneyfield farms has a great caramel yogurt! I don't know if they distribute out there.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:21 pm
I somewhat like their Mocha Late that I sometimes stole in lil'k's fridge. That's a good place to find'em!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 06:21 pm
I've been drinking a lot of kefir lately. They claim it has the same benefits as yogurt or even more, but I haven't found any unbiased research on it on the web....everything comes out of the kefir sites. (I prefer drinking to eating it -less dishes to wash- but the Stoneyfield yogurt smoothies are a tad pricey)

Anybody got the real scoop?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:04 pm
I spent a few hours searching for kefir with a friend who just moved here from Ukraine. He swears that it's life-enhancing.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:21 pm
the yoghurt mrs. h and i have every morning is "plain yoghurt". we buy ASTRO - BALKAN STYLE natural yoghurt (made by PARMALAT !!!). it contains only milk ingredients and active bacterial cultures - no pectin, cornstarch, sugars. while it is somewhat higher than other yoghurt in butterfat content (5.9 %), we find it has a much better taste than the low fat kind - they usually also contain pectin and other stuff. while it tastes a little tart by itself, we usually eat it with banana slices, kiwi(very good for OLDER people - high in potassium and fibre) and some other fruit(we have a good supply of strawberries and peaches from last summer in the freezer); finally we add some cereal, toasted pecans and linseed/flaxseed(toasted and crushed in the food mixer). AFTER we have consumed a good bowl full of it, we are ready for our real breakfast ! in case anyone is interested, this is our second breakfast (around 10 am). since we go swimming at the municipal pool at 8 in the morning, we only have time for a cup of coffee and a home-made muffin before going swimming, so by 10 am we are ready for a good breakfast - got to keep spirit AND body in working order.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEFIR : there are plenty of german websites on this subject. its main benefit - just like yoghurt - is to keep your GUT in good working order. a german website recommends making your own kefir : lukewarm milk and some of the kefir bacteria, which can be bought in heallth-food stores. unlike yoghurt, which i understand needs to be kept warm during the processing stage, kefir can be produced at room-temperature. hbg
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
I wonder if I can do the same thing with Lactaid? Does not having Lactose in your milk have an effect on the whole wonderful process you think? How scary could experimenting with it could it get?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:36 pm
Kefir: look for info on the bottle/jug that refers to live bacteria. I bet you could find a brand that says if they do.

Q - lactaid doesn't contain any live bacteria. The thing they add or take out is a sugar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:42 pm
I just finished off 2 little yogurts (about 150 gm each) - 1 fat 'free', the other 2.5 %. Since the dogs were begging for some of the not fat-free version, I also dug a fat-free choco pudding out of the fridge. Trying to get my calcium and my active bacteria. The stuff does seem to be working.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 08:42 pm
Exactly...it just sugar so..its not a crazy idea for me trying some of this...right?
0 Replies