Prepare me for the scummy salesmen, I wanna buy a car

sozobe

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:07 pm
I like the whole haggle aspect of used car buying, myself. I'm a haggler. I like the look of fear that comes into the salesman's eye when he realizes I know what I'm doing... Cool

That said, one thing to recommend Saturn is that they are pretty straightforward in terms of salesmanship.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:00 pm
I WANNA BUY A CAR
craven : before you go tire-kicking do some reading : 1) consumers' report yearbook, 2) the annual LEMON AID book , you can get a preview here >>> LEMON AID . you should be able to get the books at your local public library. there are also plenty of other websites for you to look at. once you have done your "studies', you may decide that having all your teeth pulled will be a more pleasurable experience ! just kidding, the pain from having your teeth pulled will eventually subside; the pain of having bought a car will last forever ! i'd suggest you prepare a factsheet/budget, so you can figure out what you want/can afford and what you can expect your operating costs to be - add 50% once you have figured out the monthly cost. the most important question you have to ask yourself : how reliable does the car have to be, will i have to depend on the car in everyday life or is it o.k. if the car is in for servicing every now and then for more than day ? JOIN THE CLUB ! hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:25 pm
Diddie, you remember the navy description of ships? There are two kinds of ships in the Navy, submarines and targets.
well trucks are the same. there are trucks, and potential trauma vehicles
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
I WANNA BUY A CAR
here is a great site by the NHTSA to check safety ratings of all vehicles >>> SAFETY RATINGS
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:53 pm
Thanks, Hamburger. I was happy to see that my car gets five stars for both driver & passenger safety in front-end collisions and four stars for side-impacts. Pretty good for a '97. Those standard side airbags are helpful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:40 pm
Volvo design. Isnt that an oxymoron?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:41 pm
I appreciated your Volvo size data, Piffka; I was going to look that up (or measure my car) myself. Mine, a '91, is probably smaller yet.

I'm sorry they're not sexy. Maybe they will be in the next fad turnover.

Typed by a past-owner of many sports cars... even red ones.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:06 pm
Think they had some structural engineers do it, Farmerman. Well, don't get me started...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 12:27 am
Craven, I drive a 13 year old 5-speed Honda accord. Aside from recommended (timing belts) replacement and regularish maintenence, this car is cheap, reliable and comfortable. It has a minor ammount of rust and burn a wee bit of oil, which I'm getting looked after next week. Great car - I recomment them highly.
I've driven domestic vehicles, everyone of them money pits and totally unreliable in this climate. Go figure...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
Of course pickups fill up with snow. They're designed to do that. It's the only way they can get traction on snow with the light weight rear ends.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 08:13 am
saw a news item about the new MAYBACH, theres a car that was designed by a Mercedes division to take the place of the grosser Mercedes (which is , in itself a quite appropriate name) The MAYBACH has all the creature comforst plus a built in cooler and engraved silver champagne flutes for 4. Its like a very expensive Bass boat. with all the coolers and swiveling electronics. im sure the field and Stream guys are gonna do an article about Bass fishin with a MAybach.

oh yeah, its aboy 350K, but thats fully loaded and you do get the built in cooler.

Its every bit as ugly as a volvo. except it rubs your nose in it. 4 have been sold in Philadelphia area, 2 of which went to funeral homes.
Id like to get ahold of one and do a really radical airbrush job to it. lots of celtic symbols and a huge dragon that would snake all over the body..
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 07:39 pm
Craven de Kere - a maverick, minority report on buyiing used cars.

1. Avoid the"scummy salesmen." Don't look for a specific car. Network people at work, relatives, friends, the postman, the clerk in the gas station. You may be surprised at the tips you get. There are good vehicles being sold by private parties and little old ladies. (Ignore the warning that low mileage, slowly driven vehicles break apart at high speeds and that cars driven and abused by Rodney Rocket Blaster are better.)

2. Evaluations of cars is based on faith not facts.
Consumer reports evaluations have less than a 5% spread from worst to best. 5% is not statistically significant. Even using CR data almost all American cars have nearly all red dots (best). Most cars made today, have an easy time getting 100,000 miles and some $200,000.

3. There is a benefit to buyers of used cars that most men have a deep faith in non-American cars. It makes the non-American car resale value very high. So, instead of spending $6,000 for a used Japanese car, get a comparable, used USA car for $4,000. Then, put $1,000 aside for the "inevitable" repairs that non- Japanese cars require. You probably won't need it. Then, invest the other thousand dollars or throw a great party.

4. A good, used four door, Ford Focus is a roomy car with good performance. Don't let the low price fool you!

5. I have a 1989 Caravan with 240,000 miles. Starts like a dream in our 10 below weather. Never had any motor work or transmission work. (Truth be known, it is held together with big slabs of rust.)
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 08:23 pm
The discussion of Volvos (I've owned three of them) reminds me of some car humor.

At one time, the Germans called Volvos the fastest tractors in Europe.

Diesels don't accelerate, they gather momentum.

Question: Why do the Enlgish drink warm beer?
Answer: Because they use Lucas refrigerators.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:47 am
But if you do get a ford fukus, don't buy the first model year, whatever it is. They were awful the first year they came out.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 09:58 am
Lucas electrics aka Prince of Darkness
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:18 am
A friend of mine just bought a new Focus 3-door hatchback. Leather seats, A/C, CD changer, the works, out the door for $17K. He loves it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:34 am
Wasn't Focus the car of the year in Europe for 2003?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:44 am
They're not bad, but you can buy them dirt cheap used...they depreciate a lot in the first couple years.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 11:58 am
A Ford Focus loaded is $17K?

Christ, there ought to be laws against larceny that heinous.

Can't a VW Jetta be had for around $20K?

(It's almost as good a car as my Lexus IS300...)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2004 12:00 pm
Anyone looking for a 2002 Focus 4-dr for pretty cheap $$?

Pdiddie, I agree, if I was shopping for new cars for under 20K(which I'd never do, always buy used), I'd probably end up with the Jetta or Golf. Great car for the money.
0 Replies