Prepare me for the scummy salesmen, I wanna buy a car

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:12 pm
Ok, so I plan to buy my first car this decade. I just want something simple, for around or under 6 thousand that is economical.

Actually, I'm not even sure if that's the price I want, I don't mind if it's more expensive but I am operating under the assumption that a used car that's cheap will cost less in terms of insurance.

So here are my haphazard questions.

Are insurance prices based on age or length of driving record?

How much does the price of the car affect insurance?

And what about type of car? Is sports such a bane?

And lastly what kind of cars do you think I should be looking at?

I prefer sedans and I just want something economical, I'd do without a car altogether if it were viable in this car country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,448 • Replies: 70
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:13 pm
Fly over to Bahsten, let us all buy you a beer, then buy something from Slappy. You want the commision to go to a total stranger?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:14 pm
Only if it's in an outside bar or place where I can smoke.

But hwo the hell am I goan get it back on the airplane?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:18 pm
There was an ad on TV way back when... when you and I weren't...

See the USA, in your Chevrolet.

- - - - - - - -

Late summer, early fall we're gonna be gathering at Chez Seal. I'll put the standing ashtray out under the beech tree. You and quinn1 and fishin can puff yer brains out. Let us know when you can come east and we'll plan it around your trip.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
one word, pickuptruck.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:28 pm
Here's my advice. Move to New York! No car necessary. In fact, it's probably more of a hassle to have a car than not. It's paradise, baby!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
Didn't you sell cars before?

Insurance takes age, length of driving record, and model of car into effect. The car matters for different reasons: theft(hondas are high), accidents(corvettes), and value, although the price isn't really the biggest factor. Every model falls into a different classification the insurance companies use.

If insurance is that big a factor to you, then narrow down a handful of cars you're shopping for, and call an insurance agent to get quotes. You really should narrow it down to a few different cars anyway, if you don't, that's how you end up buying something you don't want, need, and you won't be as educated on price/market value.

I think Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are your three best choices, if you want something reliable+economical. Mitsubishi are cheap, but they suck. Mazdas are middle of the road...not bad, but not the best. And I'm not a huge fan of most American cars, although some are decent. Saturns are reliable, but use cheap matiriels.

And remember: Never negotiate price, pay sticker, buy all extras the dealer offers, don't complain about anything....and buy a car from me.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:37 pm
Quote:

I prefer sedans and I just want something economical, I'd do without a car altogether if it were viable in this car country.

I don't own or want a car either. Luckily, Seattle has pretty good public transportation, and I live down the block from a good grocery and other stores that do fine for most of my shopping.

Without a car, I don't know much about current prices or rates, but I did work at an insurance company... I'll try some answers.

Age or driving record? Both, up to about 26. Also sex. Sorry, Craven, but young men have the most accidents, and the most major accidents. That's reflected in your insurance rate no matter what your driving record. And it's not really length of driving record, it's length of time since your last driving infraction (and the seriousness of said infraction).

Price of car affect insurance rate? Some. What's more important is the price of repair and likelihood of being stolen (that's why sports is a bane). A car that tends to have major damage from minor accidents is more expensive to insure than a comparably-priced car that stands up to impact better. Cars that require expensive imported parts cost more than cars whose parts can be easily located.

I think you should be looking at cars that suit your needs. (This is kinda like, What kind of computer should I get?) What are you going to do with your car? If you want to go camping, haul friends around, get called by every friend you have every time they move or buy a sofa, or just drive back and forth to work all by yourself, your choices will be different.

Generally, four doors is better (cheaper to insure) than two. Four-door cars are seen as vehicles for families, and parents are more careful drivers than singles... and talk to an insurance agent that handles more than one company. A lot of companies are using a computer format that, instead of having one or two broad ranges of rates, individually rates each driver/car combination. This can result in a rate that reflects your history and choices, rather than the average of all the men your age who drive a similar car...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
Yep, Slappy's right, don't forget to buy the underbody spray on protection, the paint sealer, and the extended warranty. Wink

I have a BMW 325E that won't currently pass smog that I'll sell you for $2000. Great car though. Probably $500 to make it pass. Damn Smogcheck II anyway, they test for stuff they never tested for in the past. How ya supposed to know/pass?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
Slappy posted whilst I was thinking...

BTW, S, you would have loved my parents. They'd walk onto a lot, point at a car, and write a check -- it never occurred to them that the sticker wasn't just the same as the price tag on a pair of shoes.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:42 pm
Re: Prepare me for the scummy salesmen, I wanna buy a car
Craven de Kere wrote:

Yup. They are in Texas, at least. You'll be high-risk as a result.

Craven wrote:

It is significantly affected (in Texas), but considering the value of what you are contemplating, it's not an issue.

You should consider liability only (if you have that option in CA) as it will be less expensive than adding the comprehensive and collision. Keep in mind that it won't pay for any of your damages.

Craven wrote:

It will be for you and your insurance payment.

Craven wrote:

IMHO: a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan 4-door sedan, in that order, probably at least 5-6 years old and with the lowest mileage you can find (hopefully under 70K) and if you're really lucky a verifiable service record.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:45 pm
SealPoet wrote:

Late summer, early fall we're gonna be gathering at Chez Seal. I'll put the standing ashtray out under the beech tree. You and quinn1 and fishin can puff yer brains out. Let us know when you can come east and we'll plan it around your trip.

As long as I can smoke I'm happy.

farmerman wrote:
one word, pickuptruck.

I don't like 'em but why do you recommend one? I think they are a waste of space.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:48 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Yep, but I knew nothing about cars then either. The dealer just wanted to be able to pay me under the table and since I was too young to work I was willing.

So I was just greetin' I'd mine for info and the other scumbags would use it to stick it to 'em.

Thanks Wy and Slappy.

Slappy,

Any particular models you recommend?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 02:51 pm
Remember these are just general answers to your questions and may not be the exact standard answers.

Are insurance prices based on age or length of driving record? Yes, the younger you are the higher your insurance rates, especially for those under 25 years old, and those who have points on their record.

How much does the price of the car affect insurance? It depends. Insurance rates are based more on the kind of neighborhood you live in and extra features inside the car. If the car is over 10 years or more, it can drive the price of insurance up.
If you secure a loan through a bank or lender, you will have to have full coverage on your vehicle...this can be quite expensive also.

And what about type of car? Is sports such a bane? Insurance on a sports car can be outrageous.

And lastly what kind of cars do you think I should be looking at? I can't really help you in that department. Make sure you take someone shopping with you who really knows cars.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 03:01 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Slappy,

Any particular models you recommend?

Depends if you want a compact, or bigger car. Compacts: Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic, and Toyota Corolla, and even the Mazda Protege. My favorite is the Civic, but it's going to be the most $$. They're sportier than the others.
Mid size, would be Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry, most likely 4-cyl in your price range. I kind of like the Altima, because it's a little cheaper than the other two, has good power, and is reliable.

The Toyotas have typically bulletproof reliability, but are pretty boring to drive, and are expensive used. Hondas and Nissans are a little sportier, with the Hondas usually more expensive than Nissan(unless you look at Maximas).

Also, if you're looking at sports cars, the Toyota has the Celica, Nissan made the 240SX which are pretty cheap, and Honda made the Prelude, but you'll probably have a tough time finding any of these in your price range with decent miles. And 110% stay away from Saabs+Audis in that price range, too. You'll spend a fortune maintaining them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 03:20 pm
Thanks! I'm thinking a compact is fine. I just want to be able to get to my new job when this company goes under.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 03:31 pm
I was looking at used in that price range in October, and in this area at least, it made sense to go with a new ('03) Focus. If you go that route, check kelly bluebook to see what dealer incentives are in effect.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:51 pm
my what a position, pickups are the biggest assed trunk vehicle on the raod. They are as comortable as a car (if you buy the double cab or extenda cab)

If i go to a city NY/PHILA/DC I always take a train , but on my perigrinations in the back ways. I need a vehicle that allows me some sense of "if I have to, i can carry this sumbitch rock right in the back"

i consider Hondas as nothing but potential grease spots on the road. They always lose in an accident.
All you have to do is read thenewark Jersey papers or the Sacramento Bee aboutI 95 or rt 99 accidents
Toyota cruisin between two fast moving semis, semi A stops , semi B turns Toyota into a wafer .
drive a truck and many things happen automatically

a-your vehicle is not confused with a little crotch rocket so, even when youre speeding cops leave you go. Why? i have no idea other than, you appear to be a "workin dude" not a wiseass

b-People give you the way and dont argue your claims, (space, lane, turn etc0

c-people think youre a hick so they leave you alone

d-other pickup drivers are quick to come to your aid.

ei love air horns.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:14 pm
nonononono to a focus. unless you get the 2-door.

toyota echos always feel like they're going to fall over forward - scariest rental i've ever had, i think.

honda civic if you can afford it. they hold up surprisingly well in accidents (i read blinkin' police/accident reports day-in, day-out).

toss on a couple of security features if you can afford them - they'll decrease the insurance in quite a few jurisdictions - reduces risk of theft (which is the big issue with civics in urban areas - then again, you're thinking 4-door, which is less expensive than 2-door, and less desirable for theft)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:19 pm
Do you have a new job?

We tried to figure this out about a year and a half ago, very similar parameters (money, type of car, use) and ended up with a used Saturn. We're happy with it. They seem to be the best in terms of $$ PLUS reliability, in that price range. You can get something much more reliable for more money. You can get something cheaper or the same price that isn't nearly as reliable.
0 Replies