Prepare me for the scummy salesmen, I wanna buy a car

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:20 pm
Oh and by the way Slappy and others here helped a LOT in figuring this out a year and a half ago. Thanks again, guys.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 02:18 am
New drivers always pay quite a bit of insurance and hopefully where you live the insurance isn't double for guys than it is for girls like it is here. 4 door is cheaper than 2 door since 2 door cars are considered sports cars. It would be cheaper if you don't get collision, but if you get in an accident where you're at fault, your insurance won't cover the cost of your car. I think your rates will go down a bit after you turn 25, but I'm not exactly sure about that since you're already in your 20's. Slappy mentioned some good cars which will save you a bit on your insurance. The older the car, the less your insurance will be.
Just make sure you call several insurance companies to get quotes because you'd be surprised how much you can save by shopping around. Also remember that if you get in any accidents where you're at fault and there is a claim on your insurance, your rates are going to skyrocket. If you ever back into a poll or something and you have minor damage to your car then do yourself a huge favor and pay for the repair of your car out of your pocket instead of making a claim with your insurance company because it will save you a small fortune in the long run.

Also, I never buy my cars from used car dealerships. I buy mine through want adds or word of mouth and have my mechanic check it out before I buy. I find the used cars at dealerships are over priced and I have heard far too many horror stories from people who buy lemons from used car dealers. No offense Slappy ;-)

Good luck Craven ;-)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 03:21 am
ehBeth wrote:
nonononono to a focus. unless you get the 2-door.

What makes the 2-door okay and the 4-door not okay? *scratching head*

I rented a 4 door Focus once. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course my best rental was a Mustang convertible. I want one now. For warm weather driving that is. Smile
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:04 am
Can I interest you in a 1989 Buick LeSabre? 159K miles, loaded. Runs like a dream.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:18 am
Compare the engines on the 2-door and 4-door Focus, caprice. Completely different driving experiences.

For insurance purposes, the 4-door is often a better option, as has been mentioned - but not always. You definitely need to get lots of quotes on insurance - that's where the big difference will be - you'll get a wider range on insurance rates than you will on car prices (for the same model at different dealers). Given what most dealers now offer in terms of warrantee, I'd always go to a dealer now. 3 or 4 years ago, a private sale might have been as good a deal, but things have changed a lot. Since almost all of the big dealerships offer tremendous manufacturer's warrantees, it is to their advantage to make sure the car doesn't need to come back in for any repairs, so they're making sure those cars are in decent condition.

Older cars used to be a good way to go in insurance terms about 5 or more years ago. Now that insurers are looking at safety and security features in their underwriting, newer cars can sometimes be better deals, insurance-wise.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:26 am
how bout a Hummer. the way theyre dropping in price for the H2, they should be giving em away in a few months.
you can fit a spare toyota in the back seat
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 08:34 am
Hummers need mechanical service so often, it's positively ridiculous. One of my neighbours had one - he had to take it in for service almost weekly - the mechanic said he had a good one! The mechanic was making jokes about each Hummer needing its own mechanics corps. Literally, laughing all the way to the bank. Confused
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:28 am
i was just kidding. Hummers are merely a visible symbol that the owner is comfortable enough to be able to take 100 dollar bills and start campfires.
The last Iraqi conflict had the embeds sitting in bradleys and theyd pan the road ahead. As far as the eye c ould see, there were hummers and vMTs pulled over the side of the road and up on porta lifts. They seem to have some of the same problems as Rovers.

I think that, in another 10 years Hummers will be farm vehicles
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:35 am
farmerman wrote:
my what a position, pickups are the biggest assed trunk vehicle on the raod. They are as comortable as a car (if you buy the double cab or extenda cab)

If i go to a city NY/PHILA/DC I always take a train , but on my perigrinations in the back ways. I need a vehicle that allows me some sense of "if I have to, i can carry this sumbitch rock right in the back"

i consider Hondas as nothing but potential grease spots on the road. They always lose in an accident.
All you have to do is read thenewark Jersey papers or the Sacramento Bee aboutI 95 or rt 99 accidents
Toyota cruisin between two fast moving semis, semi A stops , semi B turns Toyota into a wafer .
drive a truck and many things happen automatically

a-your vehicle is not confused with a little crotch rocket so, even when youre speeding cops leave you go. Why? i have no idea other than, you appear to be a "workin dude" not a wiseass

b-People give you the way and dont argue your claims, (space, lane, turn etc0

c-people think youre a hick so they leave you alone

d-other pickup drivers are quick to come to your aid.

ei love air horns.

And I thought it was a Southern (nee Texan) sociopathology exclusively.

Silly me.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:41 am
Drive a bunch of cars (and trucks - I like 'em too) so that you know what to expect. Hit every likely dealership even if you don't plan to buy from them. Dealerships help if you need financing, deal with the licensing & transfer issues, and you can sometimes get a warranty. When you're talking to the sales staff... ALWAYS be willing to walk away from whatever deal they're offering. It is fun to bring a second person and do the car-buying version of Good Cop-Bad Cop. Get your stories straight. He/she loves the car... you see everything wrong. It can be very effective at a better price.

Montana mentioned her mechanic. The most important thing, I think, is to know who is going to fix the vehicle. Not only that, if you are friends with a mechanic, they'll likely know of cars that are available. One reason I like Volvos is I know a good independent Volvo mechanic.

That said, my d. LOVES her 5-speed '97 Altima. I loved my '94 Accord and when we sold it, the guy who bought it used to stop us on the street to thank us for such a great car. Economical & fun to drive, both.

Most important... always be willing to walk away. There is always another car. Second most... recognize when it is the right car and be willing to buy it on the spot.

You can check eBay for real car pricing in your area. And you can subscribe for a month to an internet service that will check an unlimited number of VINs & tell you if there were any problems, accidents, etc. Get a car you like. You're going to spend so much time in it that you might as well enjoy the ride.

(Did anybody mention that pickups are girl magnets and everybody will start asking you to help them move?)

Here's a great car from the San Diego eBay listings... item #2456642731 for $4500 and it's just had it's 100K tune-up... the expensive timing belt one.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/3c/93/b3_1.JPG
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:24 am
The boy couldn't get laid with a fistful of hundreds in the red light district with that thing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 11:52 am
<snicker>

Okay, it is school-marmish, but there is room in the back for some rolling around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:00 pm
I have a version of that car, Piffka, yah, schoolmarmish. But I love it. Great visibility. Mine's a turbo, love it on the road.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:13 pm
Yep. I love my Vo. Great, safe traveling car... amazingly powerful, yet looks so mild-mannered that cops are unlikely to stop you.

That 100K timing belt is an expensive service, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:21 pm
school-marmish said it very nicely, piffka.

not sure i could get into one of those things without having a fit of giggles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:27 pm
They tend to last too.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:32 pm
Very Happy At least it would make you happy then, I guess, ehBeth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:38 pm
I'd have to park it around the block and wear a disguise.

Naaaaawwww - it's not a very practical car for living in the city. You need a little car when ya live in the city. Parking spots that large are few and far between.

I would have liked a pick-up at one point in my life but 1. parking and 2. they fill up with snow! One of my neighbours has a cute little pick-up. He's been spending a lot of time shovelling it out lately - and cursing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:00 pm
They just look big, for the same vintage...94-97's...
A Volvo sedan is 183.5" long & 59.3" in width.
A Volvo wagon is 185.4" long & 69.3" in width.
An Accord sedan 185.6" long & 70.1" width.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Compare the engines on the 2-door and 4-door Focus, caprice. Completely different driving experiences.

For insurance purposes, the 4-door is often a better option, as has been mentioned - but not always. You definitely need to get lots of quotes on insurance - that's where the big difference will be - you'll get a wider range on insurance rates than you will on car prices (for the same model at different dealers). Given what most dealers now offer in terms of warrantee, I'd always go to a dealer now. 3 or 4 years ago, a private sale might have been as good a deal, but things have changed a lot. Since almost all of the big dealerships offer tremendous manufacturer's warrantees, it is to their advantage to make sure the car doesn't need to come back in for any repairs, so they're making sure those cars are in decent condition.

Older cars used to be a good way to go in insurance terms about 5 or more years ago. Now that insurers are looking at safety and security features in their underwriting, newer cars can sometimes be better deals, insurance-wise.

Thanks for the infor Beth. I'll be looking into buying a new car in a few years and maybe I'll just go to a dealership next time since things have obviously changed quite a bit in that area.

I'm gonna get me a 4 door, 4 wheel drive, Chevy Blazer.
0 Replies