War! The fear mongering is here, again!

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 08:39 am
@Setanta,
Iran has several options to project military force into the Gulf including basic surface to surface missiles (which they tested in the last few days to make sure everyone knows about them), land based aircraft and mines. While Operation Praying Mantis (after the Roberts struck the mine) was as one sided as you mention, the reality is that a simple Iranian mine almost sunk the Rogers and it fairly easy to mine the entire Straight of Hormuz. In 1988 the Vincennes was under attack by eight gunboats before the Iran Air 655 incident. What kind of logic pits eight gun boats against an Aegis cruiser? Iranian forces also captured British sailors in open water at gunpoint in 2007 so they are clearly not adverse to taking action. While I agree that it would be foolish for the Iranian Navy to engage a US ship because of the almost certain backlash, Iran has shown that it is willing to engage directly in the Gulf and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried a British ship if they get to the point where they feel a military statement would help their position.
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 08:57 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Iran has shown that it is willing to engage directly in the Gulf and it wouldn't surprise me if they tried a British ship if they get to the point where they feel a military statement would help their position.

It would be a short short statement indeed as the hammer of god came down on them in the form of the US naval.
engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 10:08 am
@BillRM,
But we really don't bring the hammer down. Operation Praying Mantis really only targeted two weapon platforms in the Gulf until Iran brought ships out the confront the US. They could mine the daylights out of the Gulf and let us attack all the military installations we want. While counter productive, one mode of thought is "We mine up the Gulf, they bomb us and kill some people but lose access to the Gulf for a while - we win." If they go that way and I disagree with Set that there is no way they would do that, the US will have to lock in militarily.
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 10:12 am
@engineer,
As it would be an act of war there is no reason to limit our response to their naval or other weapons systems.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 10:19 am
@engineer,
Once bitten, twice shy. They learned a lesson in the tanker war, and mining the gulf causes as much problems for them as it does for the other nations using the gulf. They know damned well that they'd be playing into the hands of their enemies to use any of those resources against us. I don't see them doing that without a much better reason than just the arguable prestige from such an attack. They stand to lose too much for an only notional propaganda gain. Sure, theycould do those things, but at what cost and for what gain?
Irishk

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 11:33 am
@Setanta,
Also, not even the professor featured in the OP's video thinks any of this will amount to much of anything (at about the halfway mark). His concern, like the OP's, is also regarding the sanctions. I don't think he even mentions the latest threat about the carrier, which the administration has brushed off as just so much blather. The professor does have some interesting things to say about Syria, though. Apparently, we've all been lied to and the UN is making up that 5,000-killed estimate, since the vast majority in that country love and support Assad.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 02:56 pm
@msolga,
Because the military industrial complex who would profit from a major war would like that way. More tax money in planes and guns. More profit for the 1%. Conservatives have always cultivated a " i am interested in protecting the country through a stronger and stronger military" mind set. They dont care who they fight a war with. Remember Iraq?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
If they attack an aircraft carrier you really think that popular opinion and the conservatives wouldent force our government to react with force?
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 03:06 pm
@gungasnake,
You forgot Iraq. Oh, that wasent a democratic government was it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 03:38 pm
@RABEL222,
It should be obvious to you that i don't think they'd be that stupid. What little navy they have left is so creaky old Kilo class subs they bought from the Russians. Those could be put out of business so quickly the drowning crews wouldn't have time for their heads to spin. As Engineer has alreay pointed out, reacting with force to an attack would not necessarily be the same as going to war. The tanker war is an instructive example, and the one the Persians will have in mind should anyone among them moot the idea of attacking an American carrier group.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 04:36 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

South African apartheid system is institutional discrimination. It is an "evil" system, and it ought to be abolished. This does make me sound like a neo-con.

You do realize that apartheid in South Africa has been abolished, don't you?

Your arguments are somewhat incoherent.

You would seem to have been in favor of what you consider a "neo-con" response to South Africa, by which I take it you mean invasion, but you reject in as respects Iran or most likely any other nation that has not implemented a racist based political system. In your original post you seem to be expressing the belief that sanctions are an act of war, just like invasion.

Again I have to inquire of your knowledge of the history of apartheid in South Africa. Do you realize the US participated in economic sanctions against South Africa in the mid-80's? If so, do you consider those sanctions to have been an act of war? Do you consider the government of that time to have been controlled by "neo-cons?" Do you think we should have taken a quicker route and invaded South Africa?

I find it hard to see the similar between the Apartheid system in south Africa, V.S "regime oppression" in the case of Iran. First of all, what does "regime oppression" even mean? Ultimate, every regime, or government in general have certain oppressive elements( got to obey the some laws) to it. Who gets to decides which regime is particularly "oppressive"? The US?

Since I didn't use the term "regime oppression" I don't know what it means. I did use "oppressive regimes," and believe the current Iranian theocracy is one such regime as was the exclusively white regime in power during the apartheid years of South Africa.

When a regime guns down peacefully protesting civilians, it's pretty safe to conclude that such a regime can be considered "oppressive." Assuming the regime had implemented laws that banned public protests, it's clear such laws could have been enforced without sending bands of para-military thugs to brutalize and murder the protestors. This is what the Iranian regime, very recently, did.

There is a difference between coercion and oppression.

Apparently, while you get to decide that the South African regime was oppressive and deserved sanctions or invasion, you have a problem with anyone else exercising such authority.

To answer your question more directly though: The nation or nations that have the will and means to impose sanctions or invade get to decide which regimes are oppressive. Somehow I don't think you found it arrogant of the US to have considered the South African regimes in the 80's to have been "oppressive," and deserving of attention.

How exactly is Iran threatening the US? Are you ******* kidding me? They are threatened by the US, and that is why they want nukes, or anything they can get.

A regime can threaten other nations in a number of different ways:

1) It can present a direct threat of attack against the homeland.

2) It can pose a direct threat of attack against the homeland of a nation's allies.

3) It can pose a threat to the economic well being of a nation and/or its allies.

4) It can fund terrorist groups that launch attacks on a nation or its allies.

5) It can make it clear that it has absolutely no regard for the long established conventions of diplomacy.

6) It can be responsible for the deaths and maiming of a nation's deployed military personnel by either sending covert forces into a war zone of supplying the nation's enemies with IEDs.

7) It can pursue an effort to obtain nuclear weapons that will only intensify the other threats described.

8) It can threaten a nation's sense of what is right in the world, and worth defending.

Note that while Iran doesn't present the US with the threat described in #1, it does present threats #2-8.

Interestingly enough, White South Africa only presented the US with threat #8, the most subjective of all and the one that you find to be compelling enough to launch acts of war.

You last sentence actually means war is unavoidable, and innocent Iranian will be lose. If you want war so much, you can go fight them yourself.

My last sentence was "Is that something that appeals to you?" How the hell that means "war is unavoidable and innocent Iranian will be lose (sic)" is far beyond me, but your charge is in keeping with your overall incoherence.

You accuse me of wanting war with Iran and yet if you read the posts in our exchange it is only you that has expressed an approval of or a desire for (I'm still not sure you understand apartheid no longer exists in South Africa) war.

Are you familiar with the Hazar people of Afghanistan? They are an ethnic group that is descended from the conquering army of Genghis Kahn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazara_people

They have a long history of suffering from oppression, and particularly so under the Taliban.

What they have suffered at the hands of the Taliban, alone, is enough to define that regime as "evil" by your definition, and yet by bet is that you're not too happy with the fact that the US deposed the Taliban and are still trying to prevent them from regaining power.

Your inconsistencies make it difficult to take you seriously.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 03:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You do realize that apartheid in South Africa has been abolished, don't you?

Your arguments are somewhat incoherent.

You would seem to have been in favor of what you consider a "neo-con" response to South Africa, by which I take it you mean invasion, but you reject in as respects Iran or most likely any other nation that has not implemented a racist based political system. In your original post you seem to be expressing the belief that sanctions are an act of war, just like invasion.

Again I have to inquire of your knowledge of the history of apartheid in South Africa. Do you realize the US participated in economic sanctions against South Africa in the mid-80's? If so, do you consider those sanctions to have been an act of war? Do you consider the government of that time to have been controlled by "neo-cons?" Do you think we should have taken a quicker route and invaded South Africa?

South African system is indeed to me an evil system, and I am for economic sanctions in this regard. I consider this to be quite different from the the fear mongering leading up to the invasion of Iraq( that resulted in a million dead), and the history of US intervention in foreign governments. Are you asking me why I have a double standard?

Quote:
Since I didn't use the term "regime oppression" I don't know what it means. I did use "oppressive regimes," and believe the current Iranian theocracy is one such regime as was the exclusively white regime in power during the apartheid years of South Africa.

When a regime guns down peacefully protesting civilians, it's pretty safe to conclude that such a regime can be considered "oppressive." Assuming the regime had implemented laws that banned public protests, it's clear such laws could have been enforced without sending bands of para-military thugs to brutalize and murder the protestors. This is what the Iranian regime, very recently, did.

There is a difference between coercion and oppression.

Apparently, while you get to decide that the South African regime was oppressive and deserved sanctions or invasion, you have a problem with anyone else exercising such authority.

To answer your question more directly though: The nation or nations that have the will and means to impose sanctions or invade get to decide which regimes are oppressive. Somehow I don't think you found it arrogant of the US to have considered the South African regimes in the 80's to have been "oppressive," and deserving of attention.

Yes, that is right, there certain things, like genocide( the killing of an entire people, massacre of a group based on race) that do need to be opposed. This is not an issue about moral realism, v.s moral relativism which you are making this out to be. This is about US policy policy, and US foreign policy is about maintaining power, or expanding that power. The US often support "oppressive regimes" out of self-interest, rather "principle"( If there is such a thing). The US have a nice public relation image that purport to support "freedom, liberty etc", but that is hardly reality.

Quote:
A regime can threaten other nations in a number of different ways:

1) It can present a direct threat of attack against the homeland.

2) It can pose a direct threat of attack against the homeland of a nation's allies.

3) It can pose a threat to the economic well being of a nation and/or its allies.

4) It can fund terrorist groups that launch attacks on a nation or its allies.

5) It can make it clear that it has absolutely no regard for the long established conventions of diplomacy.

6) It can be responsible for the deaths and maiming of a nation's deployed military personnel by either sending covert forces into a war zone of supplying the nation's enemies with IEDs.

7) It can pursue an effort to obtain nuclear weapons that will only intensify the other threats described.

8) It can threaten a nation's sense of what is right in the world, and worth defending.

Note that while Iran doesn't present the US with the threat described in #1, it does present threats #2-8.

Interestingly enough, White South Africa only presented the US with threat #8, the most subjective of all and the one that you find to be compelling enough to launch acts of war.

I think the south African system compel a sanction, but It does not mean I advocate it should be done. I would try to weight the cost, and benefit of further actions. I am principle is to minimum suffering.

You list makes your ******* retarded. China, and its future would probably satisfy what you listed as threat. Here is the thing. China will grow, and its companies would probably dominate many used to be American industries. So, what? We should welcome the emergence of new powers, because this means there are more people coming out of poverty, and more people engaging in economic activities. This is a good thing, and not a bad thing. The US view is sort of like "I need to be number 1", by "keep everyone down". It is pathetic. You pathetic neo-con logic is a weak ass fool logic. Being number 1 means beating the best, and not beating the weak.

Quote:
My last sentence was "Is that something that appeals to you?" How the hell that means "war is unavoidable and innocent Iranian will be lose (sic)" is far beyond me, but your charge is in keeping with your overall incoherence.

You accuse me of wanting war with Iran and yet if you read the posts in our exchange it is only you that has expressed an approval of or a desire for (I'm still not sure you understand apartheid no longer exists in South Africa) war.

Are you familiar with the Hazar people of Afghanistan? They are an ethnic group that is descended from the conquering army of Genghis Kahn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazara_people

They have a long history of suffering from oppression, and particularly so under the Taliban.

What they have suffered at the hands of the Taliban, alone, is enough to define that regime as "evil" by your definition, and yet by bet is that you're not too happy with the fact that the US deposed the Taliban and are still trying to prevent them from regaining power.

Your inconsistencies make it difficult to take you seriously.

You setup a straw man "if South African apartheid is just, or not". That is a category error. This is not about moral realism, but about US foreign policy. You emphasize activist interventions as the main goal of US policy policy, but foreign policy between countries are not based on morality, but power, and self-interest. ******* Christ, you are a terrible neo-con that buy into the propaganda, but not the inner logic. Neo-con from its very beginning never like liberalism, and fear that liberalism will erode the cores of US society. Thus, it seeks to enforce the cores by appealing to religious, or moral activist foreign policy, but this is an illusion for the populace.
BillRM

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:42 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
fear mongering leading up to the invasion of Iraq( that resulted in a million dead

LOL.................
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 01:26 pm
Has anybody else read this? I haven't seen any other stories about it.
https://rt.com/usa/news/us-troops-israel-iran-257/

Without much media attention, thousands of American troops are being deployed to Israel, and Iranian officials believe that this is the latest and most blatant warning that the US will soon be attacking Tehran.
Tensions between nations have been high in recent months and have only worsened in the weeks since early December when Iran hijacked and recovered an American drone aircraft. Many have speculated that a back-and-forth between the two countries will soon escalate Iran and the US into an all-out war, and that event might occur sooner than thought.
Under the Austere Challenge 12 drill scheduled for an undisclosed time during the next few weeks, the Israeli military will together with America host the largest-ever joint missile drill by the two countries. Following the installation of American troops near Iran’s neighboring Strait of Hormuz and the reinforcing of nearby nations with US weapons, Tehran authorities are considering this not a test but the start of something much bigger.
In the testing, America's Theater High Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD, missile system will be operating alongside its ship-based Aegis system and Israel's own program to work with Arrow, Patriot and Iron Drone missiles.

Israeli military officials say that the testing was planned before recent episodes involving the US and Iran. Of concern, however, is how the drill will require the deployment of thousands of American troops into Israel. The Jerusalem Post quotes US Commander Lt.-Gen Frank Gorenc as saying the drill is not just an “exercise” but also a “deployment” that will involve “several thousand American soldiers” heading to Israel. Additionally, new command posts will be established by American forces in Israel and that country’s own IDF army will begin working from a base in Germany.
In September, the US European Command established a radar system in Israel.
With America previously equipping Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates with weaponry to wreck any chance of an Iranian nuclear weapon program from close by, the US will now have added forces on the ready in Israel and Germany under what Tehran fears is a guise being merely perpetrated as a test-run. RT reported last week that the US is equipping Saudi Arabia with nearly $30 billion F-15 war planes, a deal that comes shortly after Washington worked out a contract with Dubai to give the UAE advanced “bunker buster” bombs that could decimate underground nuclear operations in neighboring Iran.
Since the US surveillance mission over Iran that left overseas intelligence with a captured American drone aircraft, tensions have only escalated between the two nations. After Iran threatened to close down the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial path for the nation’s oil trade, the US dispatched 15,000 marines into the area.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:21 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
fear mongering leading up to the invasion of Iraq( that resulted in a million dead

LOL.................

LOL.... is about the only thing anyone can come up with when they have nothing. The correct way is to implicitly indicate he is an idiot follow by "I told you so", moron. Wait, idiot. Is it idiot, or moron? I really don 't know? LOL I guess I have no idea, since it so lol lol lol.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here's a link to the JPost article that the RT article references:

US Army seeks to increase joint training with IDF
Quote:
Despite budget constraints and reports of tension between the Obama administration and Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, the United States Army is looking to increase cooperation with the IDF, and will hold one of the largest joint exercises in the two nations’ history in 2012, a senior American general said on Wednesday.

Lt.-Gen. Mark Hertling, commander of the US Army in Europe, told The Jerusalem Post that the two armies will hold a massive ground forces exercise in Spring 2012 called “Austere Challenge,” which will seek to increase inter-operability between the IDF and the US Army

more. . .
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 04:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
Not having read on all the background but with my own displeasure at close hand, I'll just say - ugh, I don't like this.

Rumbling is juvenile. Matching rumblings are, what, west side stories.
If all real, it pitches us even more than we are already, pro israel.
I don't hate israel, quite the opposite in my history, but I also do not hate the palestinians.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 06:30 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Sorry but the million death claim is one hell of a LOL..........

You would need to go to the Eastern front in WW2 to get those kinds of numbers that had any connections to the real world and before that to the trench warfare during WW1 where you have wave of men going up again mass machine guns fire.

The whole death total in the four years of the American civil war was around 800,000.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 11:58 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Sorry but the million death claim is one hell of a LOL..........

You would need to go to the Eastern front in WW2 to get those kinds of numbers that had any connections to the real world and before that to the trench warfare during WW1 where you have wave of men going up again mass machine guns fire.

The whole death total in the four years of the American civil war was around 800,000.

In the lancet survey from 2006, there about 600,000 Iraq killed. If you add the US death, and the mass disruption caused by the US in that country it is probably over a million by now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_surveys_of_Iraq_War_casualties

Many people in the Iraq side lost their life. Those are also people, and they should be consider.
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 04:52 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
In the lancet survey from 2006, there about 600,000 Iraq killed. If you add the US death, and the mass disruption caused by the US in that country it is probably over a million by now.

Bullshit and compete nonsense base on the history of all the conflicts in human history and US losses was far less then 10,000.

Pulling a number out of someone ass and claiming it had any realty is a tool used by the dishonests to impress the fools.

The losses of human life was not a million and not 600,000 or anywhere near there.

We did not fire bombs cities or used any other weapons that would kill large numbers nor was there large scale starvation or diseases outbreaks or......

So try selling such nonsense somewhere else.

Once more LOL
0 Replies