Swimmer Weight Issue

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:21 pm
So, I'm a year-round swimmer and I want to be able to lose some stomach and thigh fat beginning in the new year. I feel like this should have already happened and I should be in great shape, because of how much I swim, but I'm disappointed with how I look.

jespah

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 03:28 pm
@lindsmc18,
There is no such thing as spot weight loss. It sucks, but it's true. There are 2 things you can do -
1) Lose more weight and
2) Build up your abs and quads, which will at least firm up those areas.

You may want to try some weight training, for both of those things. Swimming is lovely cardio but weight training is very helpful. Also, since you are a year-round swimmer, your body may very well simply be used to your routine. Shake it up a bit, by changing up the cardio to something else on occasion. Lots of folks end up with stalled weight loss efforts when they get into too much of a rut.
lindsmc18

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 04:45 pm
@jespah,
Okay, thank you! The thing is, not swimming isn't really an option since I'm on a team and practice attendance is expected, but do you think weight training on top of swimming would help?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2011 04:49 pm
@lindsmc18,
Take a look at Olympic swimmers - they tend to have substantial thighs - you know that's where a lot of the power/speed comes from.

You'll need to mix up the types of exercise you do. Have you asked your coach about cross-training?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:50 am
@lindsmc18,
Oh! Since you're on a team, I would definitely ask your coach what s/he thinks. Maybe less in the context of weight loss (as it would be a side benefit), but more in the context of - you want to be faster, or not run out of gas at the end of a longer race, that sort of thing.

BTW, welcome to A2K, and good luck at your next meet!
0 Replies