Mobile Service Providers

jcboy

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 09:05 pm
Thankfully it's really hard for most people to just switch mobile providers due to contract cancellation fees. So victory Verizon! And if you do switch carriers, don't worry. They'll all start doing this eventually. If they all do it, you can't threaten to switch, can you?

Quote:
The nation's largest wireless company is instituting a $2 "convenience charge" for those customers who make one-time bill payments using a debit or credit card, either online or by telephone. The fee will go into effect on Jan. 15.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/29/technology/verizon_convenience_fee/index.htm

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 09:11 pm
@jcboy,
verizon sucks.

I paid $150 to switch companies a few years ago, and damned if they didn't buy the folks I switched to.

I don't have $2 more a month to give the SOBs. I'm not under contract anymore, but I don't think I could get approved any longer somewhere else...

oh well.

bastards...
jcboy

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 09:16 pm
@Rockhead,
True, I use to have Verizon I now have AT&T. Of course, this only affects single payments. If you are auto-billed monthly, you won't be charged but I don’t auto bill, I pay everything online when I get the bill.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2011 09:21 pm
@jcboy,
I wait to the last possible moment, and then call and authorize them to hit my card.

my bill goes up a few cents every month, too. just because...
outgoingpeep

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:15 am
Look at the bright side, at least you're not stuck with T-Mobile. With T-Mobile you hardly get any coverage or signal. I still think Verizon is a better carrier than those out there.
jcboy

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:37 am
@outgoingpeep,
Right about that, I had T-Mobile, their service is horrible! dropped calls, etc!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 09:38 am
I've had Sprint for a long time, pretty happy with it. I don't use it for calling much though. (Mostly texting + data.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 10:54 am
@jcboy,
Why anyone uses anything other than Virgin Mobile is a mystery to me....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
@jcboy,
apparently they've already announced that they're dropping this proposed charge
thack45

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:43 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/30/verizon-backs-down-from-convenience-fee-values-your-two-cents/
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 03:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I wait to the last possible moment, and then call and authorize them to hit my card.
hehe... me too. Maybe the fee was to recoup their collection efforts through emails, text messages and phone calls

Perhaps all their customers sending them paper checks would've been more "convenient".
roger

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:08 pm
@thack45,
Sounds like an ATM charge. Maybe your bank would rather hire a few extra tellers.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 04:37 pm
It seems that Verizon was going to attempt to recoup the merchant fees that they accrue through their debit and credit card transactions.

Expect to see increased prices for their various calling plans since they've decided to nix the convenience fee and instead will likely pass their merchant fee costs to their consumers thereby.
0 Replies