What to do with (eww) Maple Flavoured Vodka?

izzythepush

Sat 31 Dec, 2011 01:57 pm
@Mame,
It might blend in with a rum and coke.
Linkat

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 09:42 am
@izzythepush,
talk about a sickly sweet drink
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 10:18 am
@hawkeye10,
We don't have any of that stuff in the house although I did buy some Black Currant juice the other day - might try that with it.
ehBeth

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 10:35 am
@Mame,
When I google it, I'm seeing quite a few suggestions to use it as a substitute in teriyaki sauce - particularly for teriyaki salmon, which makes some sense.

here's a page with some salmon/vodka/maple syrup combos (substitute the maple vodka for the maple syrup as well as the acid in the recipe)

http://www.cookthing.com/recipes/?i=maple%20syrup,chicken%20broth,vodka&q=salmon
ehBeth

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 10:41 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

you could use it to pickle walnuts

this is a good idea - too bad this question didn't come up just before Christmas
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 11:48 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehBeth - never thought of using it in cooking. Some interesting recipes there.
ehBeth

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 11:59 am
@Mame,
When I was a teenager (this is going to be a long story with a goal Very Happy ), we used to go to an annual Civic long weekend cottage party. It had a bit of a KaffeeKlatsch cooking competition built into it.

The hostess of the party always made waffles. When I was around 12 or 13, I was allowed to take over the actual baking of the waffles outside the cottage (lonnnnnnnng extension cord). Gisela continued to mix the batter inside and carry out bowls of it for me to use - we made literally hundreds of waffles.

Gisela's waffles were the best. Everyone wanted to know the secret of their wonderful lightness and crispiness. No one was allowed inside the cottage while she was mixing the batter.

Then I was about 25 and Gisela let me into the cottage during the mixing. The secret ingredient was kept under the sink, behind the bucket of baking soda.

Whiskey.

Booze does something wonderful to waffle batter. I've often used brandy. My special Boxing Day waffles are made with liquefied bananas (really ripe bananas whizzed with the hand blender), Remy Red and crushed pecans. Served with fresh whipped cream and maple syup.

I suspect maple vodka would be a respectable substitute for the whiskey or Remy Red. Whipped cream and strawberries instead of maple syrup and you could have a new brunch special.
Mame

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I think you're onto something here, ehBeth. I'll have to do some research on this. Thanks. Oh, and Happy New Year to you and Set.
ehBeth

Mon 2 Jan, 2012 01:03 pm
@Mame,
Bonne Fete to you and your lad!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Sounds good.

I just saw a Travel Channel show concerning Montreal, and was fascinated by how large maple syrup loomed in the region's cuisine.

Not sure if I have the name right, but the area seems to be loaded with Sugar Shacks where you can buy a spoonful of snow on which fresh maple syrup has been poured. Looked delicious.

Apparently there is a top chef in the area who has one of his own Sugar Shacks and uses it to serve all sorts of maple syrup inspired dishes. He raises pigs in the snow and so maple coated pork dishes are a favorite.

Too much maple syrup can reach cloying pretty quickly, but it can make a single dish (particularly if it is pork) fantastic.

Never been to Montreal, but now am planning on visiting for Sugar Shacks and poutine.
ehBeth

Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There is some amazing food being created in Quebec.

My favourite chef in the area is Ricardo Larrivee. He has some marvellous recipes with pork and maple syrup, and one with a maple glaze on brussel sprouts that makes them really delicious.

If you're going to go to Quebec/Montreal for the food, make sure you take the time to explore some of the wonderful unpasteurized cheeses. I learned a bit about them from cavfancier. I wish he was around to see how Quebec has developed in that area.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, and if you don't want the stuff in the waffles, maybe you could pour it on top. Sort of a Waffle Flambee?
ehBeth

Tue 3 Jan, 2012 06:01 pm
@roger,
http://www.wsfa.com/story/15677052/recipe-leslies-bananas-foster-flambe-waffle-sandwich
0 Replies

tammie b

Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:28 am
@Mame,
1 oz maple vodka
1 oz cream vodka
6-8 oz coke
taste like pancakes!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Sat 24 Nov, 2012 10:45 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

....I have no idea what to do with this stuff....

Two Packs A'day
P.O. Box 37
Small Town Mo

Problem solved.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 08:38 am
@Mame,
Do you still have any left? If the Mayan Apocalypse is a day or two later then it was scheduled, you can keep it in your emergency medical kit. Labeled not for imbibing. Use it for cleaning and sanitizing wounds and cleaning knives prior to any improvised doctorless medical procedures.

Worst case scenario, if some Canadian lumberjack zombies come by your barricaded houses knowing you have maple flavored vodka then you can use the half filled bottles as maple flavored Molotov cocktails.
MontereyJack

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, the revival of an oldie-but-goodie thread. Since they are also making bacon-flavored vodka, all we need now is Belgian waffle-flavored vodka, and we could drink Sunday Brunch instead of having to cook and eat it.
0 Replies

T1

Sun 27 Oct, 2013 08:59 pm
@Mame,
I recently had the BEST drink using maple flavored vodka...."smashed shipyard pumpkin beer" with a shot of maple vodka IN IT served in a cinnamon-sugar rimmed glass...soooooo good!!!
0 Replies

roger

Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:46 am
Add maple flavoring.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 21 Feb, 2014 05:11 am
Vodka isn't sweet, not unless it has had something added.
0 Replies