dashing

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:26 pm
My word, Setanta. How did I leave you off the Bratlist? Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:28 pm
Thanks, Craven. I should have looked it up, but you made it so much clearer.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:32 pm
Well I just thought of an example that makes it even clearer.

In Brazil they say "killing two rabbits with one throw", which I prefer to our "killing two beirds with one stone".

When corrected for changing the expression in English they asked me "why is it wrong?"

ESL students hate the "it just is" answer. Many native speakers know what's wrong but can't explain why and that doesn't help the student much.

So the explanation of the why that I used is collocation. It's used in certain groupings so often that to change it just sounds wrong.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
Re: dashing
oristarA wrote:
(1) What does "dashing" mean here? I prefer that it means "audacious and gallant; spirited", and it doesn't mean "marked by showy elegance; splendid".
What do you think? I need a classic explanation, because I haven't read enough original English works.

Context:

But first Will must help Jack escape from the grasp of Governer Swann (Jonathan Pryce) and the dashing, ambitious Commodore Norrington (Jack Davenport), whom Swann had hoped would one day marry her daughter. Pursued by Norrington aboard the Dauntless, Jack, Will and their motley crew commandeer the H.M.S. Interceptor, the fastest ship in the Britain fleet.

In this context, I'd say that dashing means showy. Commodore Norrington is not gallant or spirited in Pirates of the Caribbean.
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
Dashing is a very outmoded adjective. Your definition is sufficient in this case. I would advise you, however, that unless you're writing cheap advertising copy for motion pictures, or cheap romance novels for women, there should never be a situation in which you use the word dashing. Unless, of course, you mean someone who is in a hurry and running, such as dashing for the bus stop.

Unless it's your desire to make millions and live the life few can even dream of?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:05 pm
Would that i had the talent (or lack thereof?) to pursue such a course, Boss . . .
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
You might rethink as you have to adopt the hairdressing and make-up skills of Babs Cartland.

Which only goes to show there is always a price to pay - even for riches beyond the dreams of avarice.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
hmmmmm - i bought you that notebook - maybe you could write a dashing novel - make big millions - keep me (and the doglets of course) in the manner in which i wish to become accustomed

<flirty, sidelong, glance>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:10 pm
Well, let get my mind in the heaving bodice place, and see what i can come up with . . . does this mean the dogs will be eating that fancy stuff in the little tins now?
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:12 pm
They better or your street cred will be shot to peices.....30 seconds after you fall swooning into the well muscled arms of........enuff!!

Laptop - upchucking!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
You see, that's why the little doggies are smiling in that picture . . . i'm sure they're mystified as to why i haven't yet gotten with the picture . . .
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:26 pm
You certain that's not a grimace from them?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 04:46 pm
I can guarantee they're smiling. They were smelling sausage being bbq'd next door - and they know that Uncle Joe is ALWAYS good for a treat!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 05:00 pm
Uhoh! It seems that if you don't have a dog...or a cat..or a bird...

Sigh
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 01:02 am
If I bring beer.....?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:29 pm
Hi all! Thanks for all on-topic replies. Very Happy

Still, this thread has been growing up "dashing" ...or showy... gone to off-topic Razz

@ Letty: I guess "Bratlist" is the brand of a garment. Right?
@ehBeth: What is bbq'd?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:47 am
Hi, orista!

bbq'd is barbequed.

I believe Miss Letty has started a list of people on this board who are brats. She'll have to lead you there. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:08 am
dashing over to tell oristar that she is welcome to be a brat should she like.:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18170&highlight=

Oristar, you'll probably enjoy the etymology of both brat and twerp. Smile
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:11 am
aint it o'vious?

"dashing" is what a line does, when it trips! Shocked
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 09:16 am
Bo-the-brat, eh. You ain't day trippin' are 'ya?
0 Replies