dashing

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:27 am
(1) What does "dashing" mean here? I prefer that it means "audacious and gallant; spirited", and it doesn't mean "marked by showy elegance; splendid".
What do you think? I need a classic explanation, because I haven't read enough original English works.

Context:

But first Will must help Jack escape from the grasp of Governer Swann (Jonathan Pryce) and the dashing, ambitious Commodore Norrington (Jack Davenport), whom Swann had hoped would one day marry her daughter. Pursued by Norrington aboard the Dauntless, Jack, Will and their motley crew commandeer the H.M.S. Interceptor, the fastest ship in the Britain fleet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,875 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:47 am
Dashing is a very outmoded adjective. Your definition is sufficient in this case. I would advise you, however, that unless you're writing cheap advertising copy for motion pictures, or cheap romance novels for women, there should never be a situation in which you use the word dashing. Unless, of course, you mean someone who is in a hurry and running, such as dashing for the bus stop.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:50 am
Setanta- I don't know. I always pictured YOU as "dashing"! Laughing
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:03 am
Hi Setanta, I'd like to keep your advice in mind. But still, I'd like to hear what will other mavens give their opinion on this.

(2) How To Make Your Man Behave in 21 Days or Less Using the SECRETS of Professional DOG TRAINERS

Does the sentence above mean:

With 21 Days or Less, Using the SECRETS of Professional DOG TRAINERS to make your man behave in a proper way?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:07 am
(1) What does "dashing" mean here? I prefer that it means "audacious and gallant; spirited", and it doesn't mean "marked by showy elegance; splendid".

Oristar, There's not enough context here to know which of these definitions is the right one. Are you reading a classic?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:35 am
Phoenix, such flattery, plus a buck and a half, will get you a bus ride across town . . .

Oristar, yes, i believe you have correctly stated the dog trainer thing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:45 am
Quote:
With 21 Days or Less

Should be "In 21 days or less".

What the person is saying is that in three weeks or less, a woman (or a man, if the guy is gay) can train his/her man to behave as he/she wants, utilizing the methods that are used by professional dog trainers.

But would a woman WANT a guy who could be trained like a dog? Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:51 am
of course she would . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:53 am
oristar's original quote re: dashing is from a plot summary of the film Pirates of the Carribean.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 12:46 pm
Hi mac 11, you've got it exactly! Pirates of the Caribbean-- The Curse of Black pearl. I just got the brief introduction of the film, Roberta.

Hi Phoenix, "with" can mean " in the course of", like "with every day" or "We grow older with the hours". Is it as the same as yours? Very Happy ( It seems I've smelt a little difference between the two, but I could not tell it. Rolling Eyes )

PS. in the course of = during the course of
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 12:58 pm
Oristar- the only way "with" would work, IMO, is if you said something like, "With only twenty one days or less to accomplish the task...............".

The way that you wrote it did not sound correct to me.

ROBERTA, HELP! I need a 2nd opinion!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:34 pm
How about this Oristar.

In only twenty one days or less, we can help you to train your man, using
the secrets of professional dog trainers. The original was poorly written. Probably should had said, "within twenty one days or less"
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:49 pm
I saw the movie, and I think Commodore Norrington IS "marked by showy elegance; splendid" -- that is, he looks like a "perfect catch" (a good husband for Governor Swann's daughter) but it's all show; he isn't as good a person as the lower-class man she's actually in love with... I suppose Gov. Swann thinks he's "audacious and gallant; spirited", but his daughter doesn't!

and twenty-one (and twenty-two, etc.) should be hyphenated...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:56 pm
"Dashing" and pirate lore share a relationship of collocation.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:16 pm
yes, Craven. Agreed (whatever collocation means)

Other terms for dashing:

flamboyant--swashbuckling
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:19 pm
Prepositions!!! Phooey.

(2) How To Make Your Man Behave in 21 Days or Less Using the SECRETS of Professional DOG TRAINERS

Does the sentence above mean:

With 21 Days or Less, Using the SECRETS of Professional DOG TRAINERS to make your man behave in a proper way?

"With" works only if it suggests that the person has 21 days or less. The better word is "in." But more is wrong. What's missing is a sentence. By rewording the original, you remove the advertising copy approach. What you're left with is something that dangles.

By using SECRETS of Professional DOG TRAINERS, you can make your man behave in 21 days or less.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:23 pm
I don't know what my swash is, much less how to buckle it . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:24 pm
er, Roberta. I thought I did that. We all know that advertising takes great liberties with the language. Razz
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:25 pm
Once you find your swash, grasshopper, the buckles will appear...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:25 pm
Letty,

Collocation has the same root in Latin as many words that mean "put" or "place".

So in grammar it refers to a tendency to use certain words together. It's a tendency of "placement" that has no real logic except said tendency.
0 Replies