What is free will?

mark noble

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:43 pm
@mark noble,
'Individual lives'?

We are all a part of the whole. To dismiss or linearise the whole is to dismiss and linearise each part thereof.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:45 pm
@mark noble,
We are part of the whole, BECAUSE WE ARE SOCIAL ANIMALS.
That's part and parcel of our NATURE and our ENVIRONMENT.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are you seriously trying to be stupid, or are you just that?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:47 pm
@mark noble,
I doubt I'm the stupid one here. When you can't respond intelligently to what I post, you've already lost the debate.

You're the one trying to equate dice to human living.
mark noble

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What you post is sooooo on a different page, I have no intent to respond.
I have no idea what you are bleating on about??

You are unable to decipher the simplest of analogies and appear to be linearly-fixed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 07:16 pm
@mark noble,
Some so-called analogies that you propose belong on Comedy 101; not about free will and reality.

Logical falacies doesn't work. When you try to apply mechanics (dice) to individual human behavior, there's no way to relate the two. Do you know how many possibilities there are to one dice vs human behavior?

Give it a shot - if you can.

I'm not "bleating" about anything. My posts are in simple English, and easy to comprehend by almost anyone. You might be the exception.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:28 am
@mark noble,
Yes any configuration of atoms in a given N space will repeat or have a probability bigger then 1 if you consider an infinite amount of tries, this is consensual among mathematicians for obvious reasons and lately super string physicists have being defending this hypothesis might be truly a feature of our reality...just one small correction Mark the way the process operates needs not be deterministic it can be probabilistic...determinism makes stronger claims.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 04:23 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Our universe may be one of many, physicists say. In fact, that's the most likely scenario.

The universe we live in may not be the only one out there. In fact, our universe could be just one of an infinite number of universes making up a "multiverse."

Though the concept may stretch credulity, there's good physics behind it. And there's not just one way to get to a multiverse — numerous physics theories independently point to such a conclusion. In fact, some experts think the existence of hidden universes is more likely than not.

Here are the five most plausible scientific theories suggesting we live in a multiverse:

1. Infinite Universes

Scientists can't be sure what the shape of space-time is, but most likely, it's flat (as opposed to spherical or even donut-shape) and stretches out infinitely. But if space-time goes on forever, then it must start repeating at some point, because there are a finite number of ways particles can be arranged in space and time.

So if you look far enough, you would encounter another version of you — in fact, infinite versions of you. Some of these twins will be doing exactly what you're doing right now, while others will have worn a different sweater this morning, and still others will have made vastly different career and life choices.

Because the observable universe extends only as far as light has had a chance to get in the 13.7 billion years since the Big Bang (that would be 13.7 billion light-years), the space-time beyond that distance can be considered to be its own separate universe. In this way, a multitude of universes exists next to each other in a giant patchwork quilt of universes

Check the entire article at:
Link. http://www.space.com/18811-multiple-universes-5-theories.html
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 05:00 pm
It does seem that the mind is what the brain does.

I seen a video that demonstrates how you can have an out of body experience.
I walk away with the idea that if you can control your mind you should be able to keep it in your body with little effort.

I can think of a way to do so but what you would have to do is close your eyes so that the brain can not do it's thing or you would have to use the other senses to put you back in place.

I think that we could add head phones with microphones on both sides of the camera to add more to the experiment.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:50 pm
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Nice to be around someone with an operable intellect Fil!
When I discuss 'predeterminism' I am simply obliging the eternal construct of everything. 'Probabilisticism' is not an avenue that can be defined as conclusive.
Every event is governed by its cause. There is no 'probably' in the equation.
So, on a physical-level, all is determined.
And I don't believe that thoughts are somehow 'non-physical'
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm
I believe in determinism. I also believe in free will.
How is that?
It starts with a belief in God.
Wait a minute! you might say. If you believe in a God who created us, then his all knowing facility would lead to the worst kind of determinism, namely reprobation, where each of us is blessed or damned from the onset. To that I aver that an allmighty God has no more necessity to peer into our moral outcome than you or I have to read the last page of the whodunnit. In this way, God may grant free will to his intelligent creation.

Sounds simple, I know.
But our entire legal system presupposes the concept of free will.
mark noble

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:35 pm
@neologist,
And, assuming you refer to the Christian Standard-model definition of God, 'All acts are by Him, Through Him and for Him.

So, what 'acts' are other than His?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:43 pm
@mark noble,
Whoa, there! If anyone accepts Jesus as their savior, they will go to heaven. Once in heaven, all will live for eternity. If heaven also provides free will, what happens to those who sin? Interim hell?

If heaven is indeed "sinless," why didn't god make earth sinless?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:44 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Sounds simple, I know.
But our entire legal system presupposes the concept of free will.

Does this make it just or moral?
mark noble

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Isaiah 45:7?
Anyway, you're bleating again.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:53 pm
@mark noble,
You must explain what "bleating" I'm guilty of?

* Dementia? I don't think I have the symptoms, but who knows?
mark noble

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
See - That isn't even a tangible sentence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:19 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
And, assuming you refer to the Christian Standard-model definition of God, 'All acts are by Him, Through Him and for Him.

So, what 'acts' are other than His?
Please give the source of your quote.
neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
If heaven is indeed "sinless," why didn't god make earth sinless?
He did.
Sin occurred as a result of free will

It's that Garden of Eden thing again.