What is "Tree Space"?

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 08:23 am

Context:

Terraces in Phylogenetic Tree Space

A key step in assembling the tree of life is the construction of species-rich phylogenies from multilocus—but often incomplete—sequence data sets. We describe previously unknown structure in the landscape of solutions to the tree reconstruction problem, comprising sometimes vast “terraces” of trees with identical quality, arranged on islands of phylogenetically similar trees.
Phylogenetic ambiguity within a terrace can be characterized efficiently and then ameliorated by new algorithms for obtaining a terrace’s maximum-agreement subtree or by identifying the smallest set of new targets for additional sequencing. Algorithms to find optimal trees or estimate
Bayesian posterior tree distributions may need to navigate strategically in the neighborhood of large terraces in tree space.

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 09:18 am
@oristarA,
Tree Space is the total area of a particular Phylogenetic Tree.

Here's a example of one for birds.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/2613166215_829ac35caf.jpg

There's lots of them, ranging from simple bacterias to highly developed apes like us.

Thank you, by the way, I try to learn something new every day and today I learned what a Phylogenetic tree is and how complex the language used to describe them is. Wow.

Joe(waving from my branch over here.)Nation
oristarA

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 10:27 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thank you Joe. You've always given me exellent explanations.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 11:07 am
You're very welcome, O.

Did I tell you that I'm working for a Chinese Corporation based in Hangzhou? All very nice people who want to do two things, sell what they make and improve their English.
I told them they would all be speaking like New Yorkers by next Christmas.

I might need your help from time to time, figuring out what they mean by their translations of certain words.

Be well,
Joe(more later)Nation
oristarA

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 06:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
It is for the first time that you told me you're working for a Hangzhou-based Chinese company (I always think you've been staying in the land of Liberty).

I think I can try my best to be of help, so don't hesitate to tell me when in need.

(Last night it seemed my Internet provider neglected its duty and I was unable to log onto www. Luckily, such misconduct is quite rare.)
0 Replies