American Idol - Americans at there worst

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:28 pm
Fox 8 has just served up more worthless garbage in the shape of a program called "Eden". More trash for me to avoid.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 05:03 am
Okay, maybe I have a mean streak, but 'WB Superstars' has to be one of the funniest damn shows I've seen. It's the anti-American Idol, where the worst singers get in and the good ones are put off. At the end, the hoax is revealed. This may be America at it's worst, but it is high in satire value.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 05:31 am
cavfancier wrote:
Okay, maybe I have a mean streak, but 'WB Superstars' has to be one of the funniest damn shows I've seen. It's the anti-American Idol, where the worst singers get in and the good ones are put off. At the end, the hoax is revealed. This may be America at it's worst, but it is high in satire value.

This show is pathetic. It will not air in my home.Too cruel.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:25 am
Remember when Homer Simpson had to go to driving classes again for DUI? While most watched the drunk driving movies with all the carnage in horror, Homer laughed, because he said "It's funny because I don't know them." Maybe that does indeed sum up America.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:27 am
Actually, what is most pathetic about WB Superstars is that Tone-Loc and Vitamin C are so desperate to be in the limelight again they signed up for this train wreck. (My original post was intended to be ironic, my apologies if it didn't come out right, BPB.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:20 am
No apology necessary.

I have seen a million untalented losers parade through my karaoke shows over the years. They really are in denial about their talent level(or non talent level) and they put everything they have into it, which is nothing or worse as it turns out. Most people are pretty patient and supportive with them believe it or not, but there's always an asshole who will start yelling about how they suck and get the hell off the stage, and I've seen the real hurt in the eyes of these people and its sad. I know it sounds out of character for me, but I have real sympathy for them. It really is sad to see these folks get their feelings so badly hurt, and that's what this show reminds me of.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:21 am
Well, you are right on target there, Bear.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:13 am
There's no doubt that the networks are shameless in exploiting people on these reality shows. I don't feel "Idol" is exploiting people. Last night's results confirmed for me that the African-American singers were having their votes split which left a second-rater like Jasmine still in the compitition. She's history now. Two left -- so which one is the best? When Clive Davis raved about Fantasia's performances, I figured that the judge's will would be echoed by the public vote finally.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 12:57 pm
I think that if Fantasia loses, she will probably be signed by Clive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 01:43 pm
It looks to me like all the six finalists could have careers and maybe CD's. Jasmine has to get control of her voice -- her breathing is off which makes for a shaky tempo and she hits sharp and flat notes. I don't want to think Elton John was right in his racist statement but I do think the four black finalists were dividing up votes for whatever reason.

I can see that they need a group American Idol because the rock singers depend on a group backup so heavily and can't be given some of the pop songs to perform as they are too mainstream.

Is there maybe a rock group "American Idol" in the future? Even the Australian Idol was a mainstream pop singer with some rock overtones (the Afro was like a badge).
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 03:59 pm
Any thought on that australian idol? He wouldn't have made the first cut in the american competition.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:25 pm
I almost gave up on the show after LaToya was gone..but Fantasia is an incredible singer as well. If there is justice then she will win hands down. However, I think if Diana D would have waited a couple of years to enter the competition, she would walk away with the prize. She has an incredible voice too that could benefit from professional training...

Thought the austrailian idol had a unique voice, just did not care for the song he sang.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a battle of all the Idols llooll...think it's somewhere in the future? :-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:30 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
This show is pathetic. It will not air in my home.Too cruel.

So the bear has a warm, fuzzy side after all. And here I thought he was all teeth and claws. Turns out you're one of the good guys after all. <smooches>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:32 pm
I agree, Diana D is a diamond in the rough. Fantasia has turned into a solid professional in just a few weeks -- she's got the soul and she's got the chords The competition of the other two Afro-American divas made her work even harder.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:43 pm
i almost wept with her when she sang Summetime...but i would have went to see LaToya anywhere..i thought she was pure class...anyone that can sing a country song like Garth Brooks >>Ain't going down til the sun comes up ...and makes me like it can't be all bad..I agree with you wiz that she could be a jazz singer or broadway performer, but she hit every performance that was asked of her...her control singing Don't Rain of My Parade was phenomenal.

I originally thought it would be between LaToya and Jennifer..but Jennifer kept oversinging her songs..but that gal has a tremendous tool as well.

Fantansia does remind me of a young Aretha Franklin..and she gives songs her own spin which is great...she should win and Diana be allowed to tryout again in 2 years...:-)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:51 pm
I think the misnomer here is "American Idol" I doubt that any one of the winners will ever reach the status of a true idol like John Lennon or Bruce Springsteen. There very good singers who will make some successful CD's and then fade away IMO. Latoya could become a seasoned Broadway performer or jazz artist. The rest of them...interesting but transitory (except for Fantasia who has possibilities of become a bright star with an original style).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:31 pm
However, this thread seems to have fallen asleep.

Okay, only hours left -- who's going to win.

I think Fantasia.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:33 pm
Fantasia!!! I hope it comes true.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:54 pm
oh my net time has been reduced due to a bunch of new SW at the office.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:00 pm
Fantasia should....but we'll see....
0 Replies