How many people has the United States killed in your lifetime?

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:16 pm
@BillRM,
Robert in fact an analogy would be telling an engineer to design a plane without any more details then it should be a plane.

The range, the carrying capabilities, the maximum ceiling the total cost allows per plane is all unknown along with a thousands and one more details.

So a design plans of a 747 or a MX ultralight would both fit your request for a design of a plane.

Without limits and conditions some requests and some questions are meaningless.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I also remember you not being as interested in data so much as informed opinion expressed well.

I think data is hard to obtain well, some is well investigated, some is good with notation to some circumstances, and much is sloppy.

This isn't attacking - but now you are looking for ability to do historic research?
You've changed your question situation.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
For most people "in your lifetime" is a firm time period. I did not anticipate your ignorance of this temporal window.

So you wish estimates where we all are dealing with different time periods on this website ranging from 13 years to around 80 or so!!!!!!!!!!

You question is clearly not a question with any meaning answer and as silly as asking someone for a design of a plane with not other details.

It not how many golf balls can fit in all the buildings in NYC it how many balls can fit into all the buildings ever build by mankind.

Oh we are not going to define what a building is for you either.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:30 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, so let's just say you don't want to answer the question as expressed and leave it there then. I'm not going to fill this thread with a conversation with you where you just reiterate your refusal to do so over and over. I didn't need to start this thread to have known that would have happened. If you want to answer have at it. If you just want to say the question is meaningless we got your point the first half dozen times you said so.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
@ossobuco,
I really have no idea what you are on about, osso. And it's one of the rare things I'm really not all that curious about.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
How many people did your country kill in your lifetime? I'm not asking you to justify them, or make any comment at all about their moral justification. I just want to see if you have the aptitude to answer the question.

Zero.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Then why are you bothering to rebut him, Robert? Pls see my thread on getting the last word.
High Seas

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

......... you are looking for ability to do historic research?

There's a difference between historic and historical - and if you ever had occasion to know it you wouldn't forget it so easily; or ever. Look it up!
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
@wandeljw,
I saw that answer earlier. As promised I have nothing at all to say about the validity of any of the answers so all I can say is thanks for playing along.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:39 pm
@High Seas,
This thread is gonna go down in history High Seas, people are going to talk about it 100 years from now (and laugh at Bill a bit). You just don't know it yet.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was explaining my motivations and have left it at that. I don't know why you are responding to my effort to agree to disagree with the notion that I'm trying to have the last word but I suspect it involves a bit of reading incomprehension.
High Seas

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There haven't been any official body counts since Vietnam - and the ones given in those briefings were summarily dismissed by all as the "Five O'Clock Follies".
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:42 pm
@High Seas,
I was using Robert's words, go yell at him.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:42 pm
@High Seas,
That would be a great answer to a question inquiring about what the official body counts are.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

This thread is gonna go down in history High Seas, people are going to talk about it 100 years from now (and laugh at Bill a bit). You just don't know it yet.

I'm willing to bet - give me the address of the trustees of your estate, and Bill's, my people will be in touch with your people Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I was explaining my motivations and have left it at that. I don't know why you are responding to my effort to agree to disagree with the notion that I'm trying to have the last word but I suspect it involves a bit of reading incomprehension.

Amusing. You keep explaining your motivations to the point of beating a dead horse. If, as you imply, you really wish BillRM would stop repeating himself, then stop responding to him. If you don't know why I'm responding to this effort, I suggest it might involve a bit of reading incomprehension on your part.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
In my opinion you question is not an honest question and that I find annoying to say the least.

You are bright enough to know that no useful answer of any kind can be product.

Now if you would like to give a more honest question like how many people did the US military kill in some conflict or even a serial of conflicts that could be an interesting challenge and not a completely open end meaningless and dishonest on it face question of the total numbers of humans kill by the US over some time period that is not the same for all of us.

Hell I would even find the golf balls in NYC buildings question of some interest as a ball park figure could be done for that question.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Too bad, I'm on about similar matters to what you are.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
If, as you imply, you really wish BillRM would stop repeating himself, then stop responding to him.

You replied to a post where I declare I'm going to do exactly that to suggest I do what I just said I would do. It seemed daft to me but whatever floats your boat.

Meanwhile, if you don't wish to give an answer I'd also like to take leave of responding to you any further here, in order to avoid encouraging more of your posts.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 04:00 pm
Here are some lists to help get the estimates started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_and_other_violent_events_by_death_toll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_conflicts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_car_bombings

And for comparison:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_lethal_battles_in_world_history

And don't forget the number of Americans that have been killed by US involvement in conflicts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_lethal_American_battles

0 Replies