What does "nature" mean here?

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 10:20 pm

Context:

Dr. Walter's current research explores two key areas: the nature of brain activity in patients with dystonia, and how that differs from activity in normal subjects; and understanding how deep brain stimulation (DBS), a leading-edge treatment for selected dystonia patients, works to quiet the involuntary spasms. Treating dystonia with DBS involves the placement of electrodes in the internal segment of the globus pallidus, a subcortical structure also targeted in the DBS treatment of Parkinson's disease, essential tremor and obsessive compulsive disorder. "In disorders such as Parkinson's and essential tremor, when you turn the stimulator on there's a pretty quick benefit," Dr. Walter explains. "That's not the case with dystonia - it slowly improves over a long period of time, six months or longer. So there's more of a neuroplastic effect that's probably involved in the mechanism of DBS."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 829 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
JonathanHaver

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:04 am
@oristarA,
It means the raw base/location from where the brain activity comes from.

That is my guess. Wink
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:53 am
No, it's not a location. It's more the characteristics of brain activity, what kinds of brain activity take place and how they relate to each other.
MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 06:55 am
In Merriam-Webster""the inherent character or basic constitution of a person or thing: ESSENCE". Which is actually their first definition. I would have expected a definition of the word, in the sense of Mother Nature, the natural world, to be first, but No.
0 Replies

JonathanHaver

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 07:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Yes yes , i see what you mean.
What i tried to say with raw base/location is the fundemental of brain activity ,
in other words the nature of it.
Does that make sense ? Confused
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 10:07 pm
Thank you both.

ESSENCE is the fundamental meaning of the word nature here.

Am I on the right track?
0 Replies