The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth?

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:33 pm

So the planet is about (2.4x2.4x2.4) times the volume of Earth?

Because the ball volume formula is:

http://dl.zhishi.sina.com.cn/upload/11/96/21/1085119621.2268460.JPG

In it, R is Radius of the ball.

Context:

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html[img][/img]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 920 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:38 pm
@oristarA,
Do you have a question about this, Ori?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:49 pm
@oristarA,
That's a fallacy of composition, not all balls are created equal. It is not known if this planet is a "rocky" planet, or a very small "gas giant." So little is known about the planet, other than its proximity to its local star and is apparent size that it would be very hasty to make any statements about it other than the few bald statements already offered by the NASA team in charge of Kepler. It it's gaseous, where does that actual planet end and the atmosphere start?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 11:05 pm
I believe scientists are looking for habitable planets in the wrong places i.e. they're looking for planets like ours, in orbit around stars like ours, at something like our distance.

Far more common in our galaxy are planets in very close orbit around red dwarf stars; that I believe would be the most likely place to find living worlds like ours.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 01:36 am
Well, your arguments are reasonable, guys. A cool head to observe any discoveries is vital, no doubt about that.

But my question remains unanswered - the exact meaning of "2.4 times the radius of Earth."
fobvius

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 05:28 am
@oristarA,
Which of the terms 2.4, times, radius and earth are alien to you?
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:07 am
@oristarA,
You are correct in your original read. The radius of the planet is estimated at 2.4x that of Earth and the volume would be 2.4^3 higher. The mass depends on the material it is composed of but you are correct on the volume.
oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:40 am
@fobvius,
fobvius wrote:

Which of the terms 2.4, times, radius and earth are alien to you?

None. Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:40 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

You are correct in your original read. The radius of the planet is estimated at 2.4x that of Earth and the volume would be 2.4^3 higher. The mass depends on the material it is composed of but you are correct on the volume.

Thanks a lot.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:49 am

Did you know how to calculate the volume of a pie?

Let the height be a, and the radius z

then it's

pizza
oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:57 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Did you know how to calculate the volume of a pie?

Let the height be a, and the radius z

then it's

pizza

Sweet.

But equation would be sweeter; see what Albert had said. Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:50 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I wonder how NASA would know that in the first place. (Your link doesn't work for me.) Normally, planets are detected by observing wobbles in their suns' positions, which in turn are detected through Doppler shifts in their spectral lines. This evidence contains no information about a planet' radius and density.
oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 11:12 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

oristarA wrote:

I wonder how NASA would know that in the first place. (Your link doesn't work for me.) Normally, planets are detected by observing wobbles in their suns' positions, which in turn are detected through Doppler shifts in their spectral lines. This evidence contains no information about a planet' radius and density.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html
0 Replies