No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 12:10 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Context:

Usual place, be there or be square.

Beatnik/hippie/teenage slang: square is the opposite of hip.
oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:27 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Context:

Usual place, be there or be square.

Beatnik/hippie/teenage slang: square is the opposite of hip.

What does "hip" mean then? My E-C dict tells me it means depression.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:46 pm
@oristarA,
Good grief, no. Get rid of that dictionary. Hip=depression??? That's a bizarre definition.

'Hip', as it is generally understood by most English-speakers,especially the younger generation, means to be sophisticated, knowledgeable, au courant, 'with it', in the mainstream etc. etc. This meaning of the word derives primarily from the 'hippies', the very influential youth sub-culture which prevailed in the USA in the 1960s and '70s. Prior to that era, the word was usually rendered as 'hep,' a slang term of jazz musicians, meaning essentially the same thing. To be 'square' was the direct opposite of being 'hip' or 'hep.' Modern-day equivalents might be 'nerdy' or 'dweeb'.

But the expression you quote -- "Be there or be square" -- was for a while a catch-phrase, popular mainly because 'there' and 'square' rhyme with each other. The expressin is still in sporadic use.
oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 01:42 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Good grief, no. Get rid of that dictionary. Hip=depression??? That's a bizarre definition.

'Hip', as it is generally understood by most English-speakers,especially the younger generation, means to be sophisticated, knowledgeable, au courant, 'with it', in the mainstream etc. etc. This meaning of the word derives primarily from the 'hippies', the very influential youth sub-culture which prevailed in the USA in the 1960s and '70s. Prior to that era, the word was usually rendered as 'hep,' a slang term of jazz musicians, meaning essentially the same thing. To be 'square' was the direct opposite of being 'hip' or 'hep.' Modern-day equivalents might be 'nerdy' or 'dweeb'.

But the expression you quote -- "Be there or be square" -- was for a while a catch-phrase, popular mainly because 'there' and 'square' rhyme with each other. The expressin is still in sporadic use.

Thank you. Below is what I got from your explanation:

Be there or be square = Be there (in time) and be a fool yourself.

Am I on the right track?
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:18 am
@oristarA,
Not quite. It means "Be there or we will consider you uncool."
0 Replies