Insomnia

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:45 am
Since I'm generally in control of my hours and days, I'm not outraged by insomnia the way I was when I was younger. I'm up two and three times at night, toddling to the bathroom and I've learned to lie away and enjoy the peace.

Last night sometime between midnight and one the furnace up and quit again--for the third time in three days. I was too tired and too cold to get up and wait for the repairman from the oil company, so I slept fitfully until six this morning.

I can accept comfortable insomnia, but I resent cold, uneasy wakefulness.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 06:53 am
The repairman prolly appreciated it too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:19 am
Brand X--

I believe that the repairmen from midnight to six a.m. collect at least double time for their efforts. The repairman came about eight and said they were backed up with emergency requests because of the cold weather.

He helped Mr. Noddy--just out of the hospital with a heart attack--carry in the kerosene heater so if the furnace quits again as it did on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday we'll have backup heat.

How do you feel about insomnia?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 08:40 am
I'm sure he enjoys the extra cha ching of the night call too.

I rarely experience insomnia, but when I do it's usally when I'm already very tired so it compounds the frustration of it.

For some reason after a five or six hour mtn. bike ride and I'm nearly exhausted, I'm immediately sleepy but I fight off a nap so I will sleep at night. Well, it backfires on me because I usually can't fall asleep that night for some reason til after I lay there for a few hours. Aaaarggh!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 12:31 pm
Brand X--

I've reached the stage where I assume that my insomnia is an opportunity for contemplation. If my contemplations grow unpleasant, I give myself a choice between sleep and getting up to scrub the kitchen floor. I nearly always choose sleep.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 12:42 pm
hehehehe...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 12:53 pm
Insomnia? That's what A2K is for!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 07:04 pm
That's right Eva. I sign on to A2K when I can't sleep. A lot of my posts are made in the wee hours of the morning...definitely better than scrubbing the kitchen floor. Sorry Noddy, that you are having trouble sleeping.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2004 09:48 pm
I've been dealing with inconvenient insomnia for the first time. Bought on by menopause, I'm assuming. About ten years ago, while self-employed for the first time, I found myself waking up every morning around 4 or 5am. It wasn't inconvenient at all. As a matter of fact, it was great. Watching the sunrise. Getting a big jump on the day, while the world was still so quiet and peaceful. And then I'd nap in the afternoon. It worked. This time tho', it's not working out so well. I'm waking up way too early, around 2:30 or 3am, and I don't feel like getting up. I want to go back to sleep but it takes forever before drifting off. I end up either sleeping late or forcing myself to get up at the regular time and then I'm tired, wiped out.
Sometimes insomnia can work for you. Sometimes it's a big ol' pain.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 02:34 am
All these years, I was a sound sleeper. The moment my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light. But these days, I have started suffering from insomnia for some reason (possibly one of the side effects of quitting booze) it takes me ages to sleep, I keep tossing and turning, and even when I do sleep, I keep waking up every hour or so.

It is painful - I am groggy when I get up in the morning, and had to double my shower time, and the strength of my morning coffee !!

I am hoping that, this too, shall pass !
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:11 pm
I have few deadlines, so ordinarily wakefulness doesn't bother me. In fact, I've congratulated myself on this evidence of serenity.

Pride goeth before a fall. When I'm cold and wakeful, I'm not nice to know. Last night the furnace made it all the way through--of course, I don't trust it completely yet, but lying awake distrustful is much more pleasant than lying awake distrustful and cold.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:31 pm
Re: Insomnia
Noddy24 wrote:
I can accept comfortable insomnia, but I resent cold, uneasy wakefulness.

Try three days without sleep. Grrrr.

I have the worst case of insomnia on earth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 01:52 pm
Seems to be an epidemic! I am hopeless at the moment - last night bad, I think because I took vitamin B late at night, which I know not to do....grrrrr indeed.

I don't mind too much, usually - often go deliberately with very little sleep - but I am in the middle of changing jobs - 200 files to make up and close, and I have been acting as the boss....

'Tain't cold, uneasy wakefulness for me, it is hottish, irritable, over-revved wakefulness.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 02:45 pm
Insomnia can be so frustrating unless I don't have a schedule to worry about. Sometimes I love looking at the Colorado shy when there isn't too much light to see the stars. Gorgeous! The soft quiet of the night can be a pleasure and a relaxant.
Good luck, Noddy.

Sleep deprivation is no fun and can be dangerous.
Here is a link and an excerpt from a short article.

http://www.sleep-deprivation.com/html/effects.php3

Sleep Deprivation Effects

The consequences of sleep deprivation include

physical effects, mental impairment, and mental

health complications. Inadequate rest impairs our

ability to think, to handle stress, to maintain a

healthy immune system, and to moderate our

emotions. Total sleep deprivation is fatal: lab

rats denied the chance to rest die within two to

three weeks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
Three days?!

I have usually been an annoyingly good sleeper -- the one who, on a train trip in Europe with three companions, slept on the floor to give someone else who was having a hard time my space so she could stretch out. She still didn't sleep a wink, I did.

Last night though was baaaaad. I'm still not sure exactly what was up -- I think a combination of nerves, medication, and an iffy enchilada. I never actually barfed, which is good, but being perpetually on the verge is it's own hell. I'd sink ever closer to sleep, dash to the bathroom, start shivering from the cold tiles on my bare feet, get back into bed to warm up, slide closer to sleep, dash to the bathroom... etc. Sometimes I don't particularly mind not sleeping, but this was not one of them. I got maybe 2-3 hours, which in this company seems to be downright luxurious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 03:45 pm
Yecchhh! I would rather make myself sick if I feel like that! I hate feeling like I am going to be all night.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 04:17 pm
I have always been an early riser (4 a.m.) but since my stroke, I have slept very fitfully, mostly, I think, from a constant headache. Due to the meds I am taking, I am only allowed to take 2 Tylenol at bed time and no other meds, the Tylenol wears off in a few hours and BAM I am awake to stay. Needless to say, I am tired.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 06:10 pm
Anybody tried the read-something-somewhat-boring cure? It's hard to concentrate on if your mind is going speeding around, but otherwise has worked for me fairly well.

I admit to sleeping with a low light, so that when I do start to fall asleep I don't feel some obligation to shut the light off... which wakes me up again to do.

I've also improved my allayed anxiety routine, as in, I'll worry about that in the morning..

The thing I remember about my worst insomnia of the past is that I seemed then to be missing some kind of mental monitor - things will look their worst, the complexity of how things are going wrong and getting more wrong shines clearly - and that when the sun did come around in the morning, things didn't look so gloomy - with the matters of concern equal at both times.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 09:32 pm
Shocked

Any sleep yet, Craven?????
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:55 am
Yesterday I thought that starting a mild head cold entitled me to skip my exercises. I was more wakeful than I'd have chosen--but the heat was running.

After putting the dog out for the last time, Mr. Noddy left the door open so the heat was running, running, running. Perhaps I'll trust the furnace again?
0 Replies