Does poor hygiene cause cancer?

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:11 pm
I mean cancer is to do with cell mutation and in a way it's your own body trying to kill u. However, I was just wondering if poor hygiene is another factor; or does it have nothing to do with cancer and just cause other diseases.

Cheers,
Princess Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,987 • Replies: 15

contrex

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:49 pm
@Princess18,
Princess18 wrote:

I mean cancer is to do with cell mutation and in a way it's your own body trying to kill u. However, I was just wondering if poor hygiene is another factor; or does it have nothing to do with cancer and just cause other diseases.

Cheers,
Princess Smile

I read somewhere that poor genital hygiene leading to a buildup of smegma can lead to penile cancer in men. Also scientists have discovered a link between gum disease, which is usually caused by poor oral hygiene, and pancreatic cancer in men. Combine these two (!) and... uh oh!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 09:47 pm
@Princess18,
Princess18 wrote:

Cheers,
Princess Smile

Cell mutation is not your body trying to kill you.
Thinking so is what is called "teleology".
Sort of like anthropomorphism.

Anyway, no - re poor hygiene causing cancer.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:50 pm
I've read many places that poor oral hygiene has been linked to some heart problems (valve).However, I cannot comment about whether or not there has been a link to cancer. Virology and the link to cancer (cervical and penile) is a topic that you can research by Googling.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:15 pm
@Princess18,
I'm more likely to think that chemicals and / or stress leads to cancer.

If you think about it, all the chemicals we put in our hair, under-arm deoderant, can't be good for us, aluminium can't be good for us.

I would also say poor hygiene of not showing day after day can create bad bacteria, and in that, it has been linked to cervical cancer.

Ulitmately though my opinion is hereditory, chemicals, & stress....with a smaller proportion due to poor hygiene.

Then I think, when in doubt? Make sure you cover all bases, and in this case, just have good hygiene...
roger

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:41 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Ulitmately though my opinion is hereditory, . . .

I make mine up as I go along.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 02:43 pm
@roger,
Smile Then your siblings will follow you.

That was only one thought you know:)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 03:18 pm
Princess - you could study the cancer rates for nations who have what we may consider "primitive" hygiene practices and the populations in industrial nations.

I think you will find that chemicals and pollution and poor diet has more to do with cancer rates than washing hands.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 05:33 pm
a lot of our cancers are coming from the chemicals we eat and use.

If poor hygiene were a major cause of cancers, the human race would not have survived to this point at all
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:15 am
@Princess18,
I think the answer is yes, sometimes, for some cancers. It's always complicated with cancer.

One proven case is cervical cancer which is mostly due to a sexually transmitted virus HPV.
Eorl

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:23 am
@Princess18,
Then again, there's a strong suspicion that good hygiene can also cause cancer. There are studies that suggest that insufficient exposure to colds and flu may be a cause of leukemia.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 09:05 am
Well, maybe if you are covered with radioactive dust, but common dirt is not going to cause cell mutations. Highly industrialized countries have higher cancer rates than lesser industrialized places, so I doubt it's because of bathing habits, especially as industrialized countries have better access to clean water. China used to have fairly low rates until everyone started smoking and poorly regulated factories started sprouting up all over the place, now cancer rates are soaring. Places like Uganda have very low rates and not much in the way of household running water. I see no evidence that washing or not washing is going to have an effect either way.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 09:20 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

One proven case is cervical cancer which is mostly due to a sexually transmitted virus HPV.

how is that due to hygiene though? You dont get that as a result of NOT showering, you get that as a result of unprotected sex.
And even if you DID shower right after, the chance of you catching that is still pretty high..
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:08 pm
Just saw an article about miso soup actually fighting cancer cells.

I'm going to start drinking that as a broth, with tofu.

Also saw an article about fiber. This Dr. claims that a high fiber diet can actually cause colon cancer because the fiber tears the fragile lining of the colon, promoting cell change in that area. He suggested fiber from natural fruits, only. Forget the bran cereal and metamucil, he says.
Eorl

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:27 pm
@shewolfnm,
I think you're using a narrow definition of "hygiene". Hygeine refers to any practise that aims to reduce the transmission of disease. Safe sex is certainly more hygenic than un-safe sex.
That is just one example anyway, which is all that's needed to make the point.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:43 pm
@PUNKEY,
I think the Japanese have it right.

Miso soup is one of my favourites.. I only heard that it was "good for you" so that's good information to know Punkey.

We buy it in packets as well here, with dried tofu and wild mushrooms, sometimes I drob prawns into it whilst it's heating up, makes a nice change.

There is a restaurant in Melbourne (Japanese) off course, that serves sliced duck, with boiled broccolini in miso... One of my favourites.

I also heard that regarding high fiber diets and exchanging your fiber intake with fruits, not sure if I could eat dried prunes though ,way to sweet for me:)
0 Replies