LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 01:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
It was a day late, but we finally got about an inch of snow on the west side of ABQ early this morning. By 10 am, most of it was melted and quenching the parched soils.

More snow expected tonight.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 01:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
The 7 day forecast for ABQ... it's gonna be cooooold! All ABQ schools were closed today and most of the freeway on-ramps have been closed due to so many accidents on the freeways.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OVXloNKvtD4/Tt0hCdp5YII/AAAAAAAABzQ/DaVBopjduHE/s394/abqfreeze.jpg

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:10 pm
It warmed up here just enough to turn snow into cold, cold drizzle. I'd happily trade with you.
George

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It warmed up here just enough to turn snow into cold, cold drizzle.
I'd happily trade with you.
Ugh. The worst of both worlds.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 08:03 am
@Butrflynet,
From today's ABQ-Journal (page A2)

http://i41.tinypic.com/30ibcj5.jpg
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 09:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We broke records for cold overnight when it got down to 8 degrees.

They got 18 inches of snow in some parts of Rio Rancho.
roger

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 01:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
This is just awesome. Farmington had 10 degrees more or less, but absolutely zero precipitation. Must be something about the geography. We're in some sort of protected weather hole, while you're in the bottom of a rift valley.
George

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 02:03 pm
Here in the upper right-hand corner of the US, the weather is oddly mild.
I went for a jog at lunchtime in shorts and a tshirt. It was 61° F. I'm
starting to get antsy. I have snowshoes, x-country skis and downhill skis
just waiting to be used.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 03:29 pm
@roger,
The heating bills are going to be outrageous this month.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:38 pm
Blizzard-like conditions to slam Southwest, plains

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A severe winter storm is expected to hit southwestern U.S. mountains on Sunday afternoon and evening and then move east to dump up to a foot of snow in Kansas, Colorado and the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles, weather forecasters said.

New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado are under winter storm warnings. Forecasters warned that some parts of the central and southern plains could see high winds and more than a foot of snow falling at a rate of up to two inches per hour in near-blizzard conditions...

http://news.yahoo.com/blizzard-conditions-set-slam-southwest-plains-153441880.html

joy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:52 pm
Here we are, more than half-way through December, and no snow. (Oh sure, we got some wet mess that melted as it hit the ground, but that was it.) And Texas gets snow . . . Texas . . . they are such attention whores.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:20 pm
@Setanta,
We have no snow either. Even stranger... it's been really warm most of the time. We had a few days in the 60's recently but even the cold ones have only been in the 40's.

Today for the first time I've seen ice on the puddles.

But on the bright side, I haven't had to scrape my car yet Smile
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:23 pm
@rosborne979,
Truly bizarre. I tried wearing a winter coat the other day, just about melted ... waaaaaaaaaay too warm.
Mame

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
Well, we've had three or four dumps of snow but we are experiencing a chinook so some of it's melting. We had -20C days, as well. Today's not too bad.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 08:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Truly bizarre. I tried wearing a winter coat the other day, just about melted ... waaaaaaaaaay too warm.
I'm wondering how long it'll last. It's supposed to be 50DegF on Wed and no real cold weather in the forecast yet.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 08:30 pm
@rosborne979,
It's similar here - no freezing temps for the balance of this year.

I'm usually thrilled if it's not cold at the beginning of December, but the end of December? that's just wrong.
jcboy

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 08:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I’ve never lived where it snowed. I do miss seeing the snow on the mountain caps in CA and skiing in Big Bear or Lake Tahoe. I like to visit where it snows but one of the reason I chose Florida was because of the weather. Tonight its getting chilly, probably get down to 45 tonight and that’s cold to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 08:55 pm
I've gotten much more cold and heat aggravated in, I think, the last ten years.

This is really in my way, and I need to work out of it

I've mapped a large property at 105, and ice skated at - 7 ... but now baby likes to be at 72 in the day. I figure it has to do with a dulcet (messed up) metabolism.

I remember Plainoldme having no heat, temps very low, not all that long ago, in the Boston area. Woman as bear.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 04:44 am
@jcboy,
When i briefly stayed in Florida (friend with cancer needed help with his business), the lows in the the 40s or even the 50s felt positively frigid. I think that's because of the temperature change (a drop of 40 or even 50 degrees between midday and night time) and because of what you're used to. When the high temperature is only just above freezing and it drops below freezing at night, the temperature change is not nearly as drastic as it is to go from 85 at 1 pm and 45 at 10 pm.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:45 pm
Northeast New Mexico where the blizzard warnings are just now beginning. Another 18 inches is expected in the next 48 hours.

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/krqe.com/photos/2011/12/g1636-new-mexicos-early-start-to-winter/35267-still-snowing-d9a69.jpg

The Albuquerque area is supposed to accumulate an inch or two but so far all we're getting is frozen rain mixed with a few flurries that don't stick. By 2pm it is supposed to get cold enough to switch over to snow.