I did not know it was this bad, are you doing more to help?

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 05:06 pm
Things look bad in LA how are they looking where you are at?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 05:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
Things r looking OK here in Queens, NYC.

I am not doing anything to help at the moment.

David
Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 05:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually, food banks, soup kitchens and free pantries have had climbing demand in the New York area since 2004. People often have to chose between food and rent, so they pay the rent and look for help to get fed. I helped start a city food pantry back in the 1980's. At the time it was mostly elderly people and the mentally ill who showed up. Today it's whole families who tend to be under employed or at least one parent is unemployed. I feel I've done my part. I was burned out over the last 30 years by a society and a government that doesn't care much about the weakest in our country. I hope the generation behind me does better than my generation who created so many of these social problems by favoring the greed of the few over the needs of the many.
djjd62

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 05:33 pm
give a monthly food and money donation to the local food bank, we include other non food items in most packages, stuff like diapers, socks, soap, toothpaste/toothbrushes

we also buy backpacks when they are on sale, and in August we give the food bank some filled with school supplies
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 05:38 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I hope the generation behind me does better than my generation who created
so many of these social problems by favoring the greed of the few over the needs of the many.
Government not created to address those concerns,
nor was it vested with jurisdiction to do so.
That shoud be addressed on a VOLUNTARY basis, in the private sector.

Just speaking for myself: I give when and to whom I feel like it
usually out of hedonism, not collectivist charity.

David
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 05:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

You are correct but we are working on cutting the top of the pyramid off at about the halfway point and then we will consider the fair tax plan of Neal Boortz.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
DAVID wrote:
reasoning logic wrote:
You are correct but we are working on cutting the top of the pyramid off
at about the halfway point and then we will consider the fair tax plan of Neal Boortz.
I don 't know what his tax plan is,
but I favor financing government (at all levels) only from sales taxes
and from importation tarriffs.

The 16th Amendment did not create any plan for DISCRIMINATION
against financially successful citizens.

Taxes shoud be the same rate for ALL citizens,
with a cap beyond which a citizen is deemed to have already fully paid for government services.

David
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Are you the one who says greed is good?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
YEAH!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:25 pm

I try to promote it.

David
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I consider myself very conservative when it comes to saving and making sure I have enough to get by but I do not take it to the point where I would try and have other people's wages diminished so that I can prosper off of their hard work and low pay.

This is something that has been taught as acceptable behavior for a long time and has done nothing but make a few wealthy while destroying many societies.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:39 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I consider myself very conservative when it comes to saving and making sure I have enough to get by but I do not take it to the point where I would try and have other people's wages diminished [????] so that I can prosper off of their hard work and low pay.
This is something that has been taught as acceptable behavior for a long time and has done nothing but make a few wealthy while destroying many societies.
U can open a business n establish employees' wages hi enuf that u will have no profits, if u wish.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:48 pm
Yesterday, Thanksgiving day, my wife and I took advantage of a free meal of turkey with all the fixin's etc. being served at the local community center. This wasn't because we couldn't afford to fix our own meal at home; it was just a social sort of thing to do. The meal was, basically, free unless you felt like making a contribution to the local "soup kitchen" program. Many did, some didn't. Great meal with deserts and everything and enough left over to ask people whether wouldn't like to take some of the leftovers home.

A friend and I got to talking during the meal and we both came to the conclusion that here in Hawaii, at least, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to go hungry, let alone starve. There are free meals and pot-luck get-togethers available just about everywhere and every day. Church halls, school cafeterias, Salvation Army soup kitchens, you name it. The old cultural tradition of sharing food with others, even total strangers, is alive and well here. Statistically, something like 50 percent of the residents are food-stamp recipients and no one thinks the less of them for it.

It's hard to be living in the Aloha State and remembering that there are places in our country where people actually worry about where their next meal is coming from. Even harder to imagine that there are places in Africa and elsewhere where actual starvation is a real threat.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This is part of the old pyramid scheme that has been going on ever sense one person was able to manipulate another person into doing more work f0r less reward than others.

This is taught as normal behavior today just as women should not have rights to vote was taught yesterday.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Great reply and good to hear that you are all looking out for each other. Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 06:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
This is part of the old pyramid scheme that has been going on
ever sense one person was able to manipulate another person into doing more work f0r less reward than others.

This is taught as normal behavior today just as women should not have rights to vote was taught yesterday.
AUTOMATION is another option.

It can save u from a lot of annoyance (e.g., social welfare laws, anti-discrimination laws, labor strikes, etc.)

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OK, as long as it is VOLUNTARY,
not the product of government-based extortion.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I do understand that you do have to operate in this manner if you plan on staying in business at least for most big businesses because other big businesses will eat you up if you do not.
It is this destruction of our society that has caused the extreme mentally challenged society that we have and it is only going to get worse and they will eat you up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I do understand that you do have to operate in this manner if you plan on staying in business
at least for most big businesses because other big businesses will eat you up if you do not.
Additionally, if u have investors, or corporate shareholders
u have a duty to successfully make good money for them.
It is a default of good faith, if u don't.

reasoning logic wrote:
It is this destruction of our society that has caused the extreme mentally challenged society that we have and it is only going to get worse and they will eat you up.
????? I dunno what u have in mind.
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 07:11 pm
reasoning logic, you haven't said what you are doing more of to help.