I did not know it was this bad, are you doing more to help?

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 11:09 am
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 02:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I can only imagine the get to-togethers you all have in Hawaii

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I keep forgetting, David, that you are not only a lawyer but a "lawyer" in the worst sense of the word. You are the kind of lawyer that inspires all the lame "lawyer jokes." For you, everything is concerned with 'jurisdiction' and the letter of the law.

You ask how I acquired a responsibility toward my fellow humans. By being born into the human race, pal, that's how. I realize, of course, that you woulld know nothing about that.

For you, the question is alwas about a governmet's jurisdiction. You seem to deny that the government has a responsibility towards those governed. Else, what is it for? We might just as well throw the whole thing over and achieve a state of anarchy. The government governs by the consent of the governed in this country. Since it needs the governeds' consent, it follows that it must be sensitive to that bod's needs.

You say that you celebrated the downfall of the USSR in 1991. So did I. So did most people who don't care for totalitarian oppression, I suspect. But you, David, are for me a perfect representation of a Communist of the old regime. There is no qualitative difference whatever between someone like you and a Josif Stalin who would allow several million Ukranians to literally starve to death because it furthered his wartime political agenda. Your entire attitude of the ends justifying the means echoes the Leninist line.

In short, OmSigDAVID, you are despicable.

You are doubly despicable because you seem to show a certain modicum of native intelligence and intellectual learning. That makes you twice as bad as some of the other rabid wing-nuts on this site who mouth their absurd right-wing rhetoric because they don't know any better, because they're a dumb bunch of shitheads to begin with and merely prattle the "might makes right" rhetoric they have heard elsewhere.

You should know better. But you are soul-less. What a Politbureau chief you would have made! You would have achieved real power in the Comintern with your attitude and outlook.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:25 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I keep forgetting, David, that you are not only a lawyer but a "lawyer" in the worst sense of the word.
You are the kind of lawyer that inspires all the lame "lawyer jokes."
ALL of them, huh??
I see! In the face of this new information: I will not practice law any more.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
For you, everything is concerned with 'jurisdiction' and the letter of the law.
Yes, indeed; literally, jurisdiction is the sine qua non of government.
Thank u for taking notice of that.
The LESS jurisdiction there is, the FREER we are; hence, the Bill of Rights.
Jurisdiction and personal freedom are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
You ask how I acquired a responsibility toward my fellow humans.
By being born into the human race, pal, that's how.
NO. That is a mere illusion; a hoax.
No responsibility results from that. U have uttered a non-sequitur, shame, shame, shame!

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I realize, of course, that you woulld know nothing about that.
There is nothing to know, Pal.
I do not share your delusion.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
For you, the question is alwas about a governmet's jurisdiction.
Yes; it is the sine qua non of government,
as hereinabove set forth. (q.v.)

Lustig Andrei wrote:
You seem to deny that the government has a responsibility towards those governed.
Well, for sure it has NO responsibility beyond its jurisdiction.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Else, what is it for?
Within its extant jurisdiction,
it is for defending the rights of the citizens from violation thereof.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
We might just as well throw the whole thing over and achieve a state of anarchy.
As tempting as that is,
government has some advantages, e.g., we have needed some wars
and it served admirably to co-ordinate our military efforts.
Without government, our prospects of victory woud have been inferior.
It comes in handy for coining $$, maybe a few other things.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
The government governs by the consent of the governed in this country.
That is only within its Constitutional authority, NOT beyond it.
( See 9th and 1Oth Amendments, US Constitution, supreme law of the land. )

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Since it needs the governeds' consent, it follows that it must be sensitive to that bod's needs.
It already GOT that consent, regarding certain individual things.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
You say that you celebrated the downfall of the USSR in 1991.
Yes; it was the 2nd happiest day in my life.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
So did I.
I doubt THAT, based on your posts. U r not a freedom-friendly fellow.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
So did most people who don't care for totalitarian oppression, I suspect. But you, David, are for me
a perfect representation of a Communist of the old regime.
I will not challenge your right to your own delusion.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
There is no qualitative difference whatever between someone like you and a Josif Stalin who would allow several million Ukranians to literally starve to death because it furthered his wartime political agenda. Your entire attitude of the ends justifying the means echoes the Leninist line.
The commies coud be practical.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
In short, OmSigDAVID, you are despicable.

You are doubly despicable because you seem to show a certain modicum of native intelligence and intellectual learning.
That makes you twice as bad as some of the other rabid wing-nuts on this site
I make an earnest effort to injure your ideals.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
You should know better. But you are soul-less.
No; false. I have had some out-of-body experiences.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
What a Politbureau chief you would have made!
You would have achieved real power in the Comintern with your attitude and outlook.
Uh-huh; were thay big on Individualism, hedonism, personal freedom and laissez faire capitalism??

David

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 08:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Dave, if you really thought greed was good, you wouldn't feel the need to tell us all about your bountiful generosity, wallets stuffed with banknotes as Christmas presents, buying clothes for impoverished children etc. It seems that even you can't shut that nagging voice, that is your conscience, up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Dave, if you really thought greed was good,
I DO!
I ENCOURAGE it, greed but not stinginess.

izzythepush wrote:
you wouldn't feel the need to tell us
I feel no need.
I do things without need,
but it might serve the purpose of proliferation of those processes,
in spirits of hedonism. When I told Dr. Raymond Moody about it,
I said:
"this is YOUR work. When u have your own life review,
this shoud all be among the secondary effects or tertiary effects of your ministrations."

izzythepush wrote:
all about your bountiful generosity, wallets stuffed with banknotes as Christmas presents,
buying clothes for impoverished children etc.
Thay were not impoverished,
tho their father was stingy.

I did not use banknotes,
but rather $1O bills, $2O bills, $5O bills or $1OO bills,
depending on which time, to whom and the circumstances,
issued by the US Treasury Dept.

izzythepush wrote:
It seems that even you can't shut that nagging voice, that is your conscience, up.
That conclusion results from your misinterpretation.
The accounts were rendered in the spirit of HEDONIC EXULTATION, not of charity.
Most of the time, I usually tend to successfully avoid collectivist charities,
unless maybe pretty girls r collecting.

Your attributions of motive to me
have fallen into error. U misjudge me, Izzy.

David
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 11:13 am
@reasoning logic,
A sad story of one woman's act of desparation...
Quote:
The New York Times
December 6, 2011
Mother Shoots 2 at State Office, Then Kills Herself
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A woman who for months was unable to qualify for food stamps pulled a gun in a state welfare office on Monday and staged a seven-hour standoff with the police that ended with her shooting her two children before killing herself, officials said.

The children, a 10-year-old son and a 12-year-old daughter, were in critical condition Tuesday. The mother was identified as Rachelle Grimmer, 38. A police investigator, Joe Baeza, said Ms. Grimmer had recently moved from Zanesville, Ohio.

Ms. Grimmer first applied for food stamps in July but was denied because she did not turn in enough information, said Stephanie Goodman, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Health and Human Services.

Ms. Goodman said it was not immediately clear what information was missing. She said the Grimmers’ last contact with the agency appeared to be a phone call in mid-November. When the family entered the Laredo office on Monday, shortly before 5 p.m., Ms. Grimmer asked to speak to a new caseworker, not the one whom she worked with previously, Ms. Goodman said.

Ms. Goodman said Ms. Grimmer was taken to a private room and she showed a gun and the standoff began.

Police negotiators tried to stay on the phone with Ms. Grimmer throughout the evening, but she kept hanging up, Mr. Baeza said. Around 7:45 p.m., she let a supervisor go unharmed. After hanging up the phone around 11:45 p.m., the police heard three shots. A SWAT team found Ms. Grimmer’s body and her two wounded children.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/us/woman-seeking-food-stamps-shoots-her-children.html?ref=us
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:00 pm
@firefly,
A few years ago, I was consoling a trial judge
qua the suicide of an unsuccessful litigant in his court.
I pointed out that people have been committing suicide
since long b4 he was born. We cannot know whether
such a person woud do it anyway for some other reason.

David
Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
dave.

I want to ask you a favor. please...

If I ever,

for any reason whatsoever,

at any time now or in the future,

need to be consoled about anything...

please turn around with no misgivings at all, and walk away without making a sound.

thank you.
Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 12:52 pm
The Safeway I worked at last year threw out enough food in one day to feed a family of four for a week. That's one Safeway, in one day.

I believe the laws here prevent them from donating the food to charity; they are required to throw it out. I worked in the deli and asked why we didn't donate it and was told we weren't allowed to. It may be a Safeway policy, but I think it's the govt because I don't hear of or see any other grocery stores donating food.

If the govt allowed all the grocery stores/chains to donate their food waste, the food insecurity problem would be a whole lot smaller. The food isn't bad; it's thrown out on the last day of the Best Before date.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 01:31 pm
@Rockhead,
OK, but I will not laff at your misfortune
( if that is OK with u )

David
Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 01:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
**** happens, dave.

just walk away...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 02:14 pm
@Mame,
That's interesting, because many supermarkets in our area collect food for food banks and charities.

Found this interesting URL on food donations. http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/food/guide-charitydonations.pdf
Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I just called the City and she said it was a provincial law so now I'm calling them to hopefully find out why they have this whacky rule. I suspect it's health related. I've been directed to Legislation Library Reference desk.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:55 pm
@Mame,
That is a terrible waste, Mame.

The main supermarket I shop in donates the unsold products from their bakery and prepared deli departments, and some items from their fresh fish and meat departments, and the dairy items about to expire, to the local food bank distribution center on a daily basis. They also donate the produce that isn't extremely fresh, yet is quite usable. When I've gone in there in the evening, I see the food packed up and ready to go. At the check-out they also have coupons for $1-$10 donations to the local food bank network, and you can take one of those and they will add the amount to your shopping total. So, they are both donating and encouraging donating which I feel is wonderful.

I hope you can find out why they can't do the same in your neck of the woods.
Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:12 pm
@firefly,
That is wonderful. Someone from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is finding out and will call me back, supposedly this afternoon. It could also be just a Safeway policy - fear of being sued.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:23 pm
@Mame,
There are precautions that Safeway can take to ensure that the food they distribute is relatively safe for consumption. That fact vs throwing it all out seems a waste and shame when so many are going hungry.
Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The CFIA just called me back - they have no law on the books, so it must be an Internal Safeway rule. Fear of being sued.

Some of the sandwiches they throw out are made elsewhere, and everything has a Best Before date. But if you buy it on that day, before they remove it from the shelves, you're not going to get ill or die, so they really should donate - they could have the donation places do the rounds of all the Safeways in a truck each day between 3:00 and 4:00 or whatever. There is so much food thrown out!! We were not allowed to eat it, either.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:58 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
It could also be just a Safeway policy - fear of being sued.

Why would they be more afraid of being sued by a food bank than by their regular customers?

I'm not sure you can sue supermarkets for too many things--unless they were so deliberately negligent with things like refrigeration or food handling that people got deathly ill. We have outbreaks of things like salmonella in packaged spinach, for instance, but I don't think the supermarket is liable, as long as they remove possibly tainted products once a recall is issued, because the salmonella didn't originate with them. I can't think of too many food-related things a supermarket could get sued for, as long as they comply with health ordinances. They're more likely to get sued if people slip on their floor than for their food I think.

Food banks, and those who rely on them, would be grateful for the donations and not looking for reasons to sue those who made the donations, don't ya think?

Why don't you contact the CEO of Safeway and ask that person why they don't donate the food?
Mame

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 05:18 pm
@firefly,
It's an American company, so I imagine the rules are made down where you are. But as I said, I don't see the other grocery chains donating, either.
0 Replies