at home = at home (having arranged treatings - tea, food etc.)?

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 03:39 am
Context:
Mr and Mrs So and so will be at home, Sunday, 6 p.m..

(A sentence has been picked up from a thin-volume book. No more context is available. It may be an invitation.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 552 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:00 am
@oristarA,
It is just a common phrase meaning the person saying the phrase knows for sure that the people will be at Mr and Mrs So's house along with the other people "so" At that time..."6:00 p.m."

Yes, it means that the person saying it knows that those people will be at that person's house at that time...
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:17 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I have the vague recollection that "at home" at some time in the past may have meant the party would not only be physically at home, but "at home" in the sense of receiving visitors.

I've no idea where I got that impression, but I'm sure it is now obsolete.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:18 am
@roger,
Dang, we're over a year late.
0 Replies

dlowan
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:22 am
@oristarA,
In earlier times to announce that one was "at home" meant that you were receiving any of your friends and family who cared to attend. You would serve refreshments. One often had a regular day and time.
oristarA

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 02:23 am
Thank you all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:11 am
@dlowan,
I agree.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:26 am
@roger,
Yeah, I thought about the party thing...And I agree with you both as well...I just thought from the last sentence of Ori's post, that it came from a book....It sounded like it was a murder mystery or something where the person was saying that they knew these people would be home at that time...I think I was just too broad...

roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:55 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
If we had known the time frame in the story, we might have done better.

I ran through a lot of these social traditions in Mark Twain's The Gilded Age. I have to say it was more informative than uplifting, and with little of his well known humor.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:35 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Yeah, I thought about the party thing...And I agree with you both as well...I just thought from the last sentence of Ori's post, that it came from a book....It sounded like it was a murder mystery or something where the person was saying that they knew these people would be home at that time...I think I was just too broad...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 04:58 am
@oristarA,
I like you Ori! I am going to add you as my friend! Wink Very Happy
0 Replies