Giant Structures in the Chinese Desert

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:56 pm
PHOTOS: More Mysterious Satellite Images Of China Desert Structures Emerge
www.huffingtonpost.com
The plot has thickened in the mystery of the giant structures in the Chinese desert. Earlier this week, images from Google Maps surfaced showing a bizarre tangle of white lines etched into the Kumtag Desert in northwestern China...

Edit
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/china-desert-photos-satellite-images-google-maps_n_1095838.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,301 • Replies: 24
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I saw this in the news yesterday.
I was hoping there'd be an A2K conspiracy thread in response.
I knew we could count on you, edgar! Smile Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:29 am
@msolga,
These are the newest Wal Marts soon to open in China.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:53 am
@farmerman,
Damn.
I was hoping for something more sinister, farmer!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 05:48 am
I am not being alarmist. I was curious enough to see what others thought about it.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh I know you're not, edgar.
I was being silly.
Sorry.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:17 am
@msolga,
Oh, I know you are not condemning me. But I know how some people around here jump on a casual remark to start up a war. Smile
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:19 am
@msolga,
The blues may be a salt pan opration.(Although these things usually generate pans of different colors as the bacteria colonies change at different concentrations.
Its obviously water but I have no idea why .

The circular one could be an irrigated field, (we can see our 160 actes sections with center pivot irrigation from space.
Im stickin with the Wal Mart for the squares, either that or some kind of Chinese facilities or dwelling areas.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:35 am
@edgarblythe,
Yesterday I zoomed further & further in on this image on a local news site.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/197123/slide_197123_476089_large.jpg?1321395351
The original formation that sparked all the speculation. It can be found on Google Map

... & I have to say I'm none the wiser about what the heck such a formation could possibly be, in a location like this.
Very strange.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
How do we know they are not artifacts of the camera or hoaxes of some kind?

I haven't had the time to look extremely closely yet, but some of those images look too precise to be laid out on uneven terrain. The "grid" for example seems perfect, but it seems to be laid over hills and mountains. In order for anything like that to appear perfect in a three dimensional environment, it would have to be viewed from above at a single location, and it would probably have to be laid out from the same vantage point.

I haven't looked at them in enough detail yet so maybe I'm missing something, but they seem "fishy" just from cursory appearance.

How reputable are the sources providing the images?

Can we look these things up on Google Earth ourselves in realtime? What are the ground coordinates for these things?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:10 pm
@rosborne979,
I did try to find this story on snopes, but it wasn't there, yeterday.
Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Saw this on Gizmodo a few days ago, What the hell, China?, where the speculation from the commenters included everything from crop circles to a time machine (lol).

My favorite out of the bunch...Smile

Quote:
hmmm, rotate the Top image 23.6 degrees. Can you set the overlay to multiply and run a transversal-Schmidt algorithm? Good. Now focus in on sector AZ-4. More...a little more. Rotate. Zoom. Defrag the pixels and skew the RGB co-ordinates. Yea...Now enhance. Enhance again. Enhance dammit!....o.....my.......gawd.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:06 pm
@Irishk,
Lots of good conspiracy stuff there.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I did try to find this story on snopes, but it wasn't there, yeterday.
Some of the images appear to be actual structures, agricultural or otherwise. Other images appear to be camera effects of double-exposures or some other type of image corruption. And I think the report from the "ex-CIA" guy about satellites being concentrated on those areas is just an attempt by someone to fan the flames of suspicion for the sake of media attention.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:06 pm
@rosborne979,
http://news.yahoo.com/mysterious-symbols-china-desert-spy-satellite-targets-expert-132005935.html

Mysterious Symbols in China Desert Are Spy Satellite Targets, Expert Says
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:40 pm
@Rockhead,
Sounds as good as anything I have read so far.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 03:38 am
@rosborne979,
For the sake of selling a book, i'd surmise.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:14 am
@rosborne979,
There are plenty of things that we have in this country that give the same expressions from space. China can do whatever it wants with its country as long as they dont **** up my view of Russia. Some of the big rectangular features can be seen to have larger cleared areas around the "lattice roads".

Maybe someone can load the copper King mine out in Bisbee AZ. from space. It kinda looks like a hole to hell.
Also, some of the hopewell Indian designs in Ohio look neat from the air. (Newark Ohio has the big one)

Funny gunga hasnt checked in on this one.
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 05:43 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Funny gunga hasnt checked in on this one.

He's probably still trying to work out the anti-evolution angle . . .
rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2011 06:02 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
Mysterious Symbols in China Desert Are Spy Satellite Targets, Expert Says

Why would they need to go to all the trouble to paint a giant target on the ground when they could simply pick a known ground object or objects and calibrate from that?

I'm not sure I buy the "Satellite Targets" explanation yet.

Some of the images are simply ground objects which can be identified. I don't even know why they are included in the list of "mysterious" shapes. But others, like the zaggy lines in the rectangle, or the large grid, don't seem to be normal agricultural or industrial structures. Those are more curious to me.
0 Replies