When Does Human Life Begin? (personhood initiative)

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 04:05 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
While this isn't specifically a decision as to when a fetus can be said to be a human life, you offered as proof of the fact that a human life doesn't begin until delivery that abortions are legal. Since an abortion can, constitutionally, be considered illegal well before the fetus takes it's first breath, the support you'e offered for considering your opinion a fact, falls apart.
CalamityJane wrote:
Actually, there are reports of life births at 22 weeks of gestation which
would eliminate an abortion. However, abortion is an entirely different
subject that was not asked here.

Rex asked when human life begins,
and it begins at birth.
I can see an argument that a baby is not yet a human being,
but not that the baby is not alive an hour b4 birth.

David
RexRed

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
While this isn't specifically a decision as to when a fetus can be said to be a human life, you offered as proof of the fact that a human life doesn't begin until delivery that abortions are legal. Since an abortion can, constitutionally, be considered illegal well before the fetus takes it's first breath, the support you'e offered for considering your opinion a fact, falls apart.
CalamityJane wrote:

and it begins at birth.

David

There is an argument that a fetus does not breathe until it breathes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 07:28 am
@RexRed,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
CalamityJane wrote:

and it begins at birth.

David
RexRed wrote:
There is an argument that a fetus does not breathe until it breathes.
Yes, but it is a false (tacit) premise thereof that breathing is necessary to life; e.g., fish r alive.

It is a matter of an alternate source of oxygenation.

( Note that I strongly support freedom of abortion, as an aspect of self defense.)

David
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 12:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Your efforts have been feverish.

Is your purpose with this thread to stimulate a discussion on this topic or to catigate Republicans?

Both.

If you recall I was once a republican and despised on this forum for that reason. Now I am just despised because probably I am a jerk. Smile

The day I began to "catigate Republicans" I believe you mean castigate (good word).

Fair question and thanks for asking. The day I saw the republicans out on the streets protesting gay marriage was the day I said, "ahh haa! They are actually going to stand for something rather than just obstruct everything."

The republicans stand for "pro life" while the deny gays marriage. They stand nearly in totality against universal health care. They stand against job creation probably so they can keep a strangle hold on the middle class. They care little if not at all for the poor. These are things they stand for.

As an agnostic I can honestly say I do not know if there is a god. But I know it is the right thing to feed the poor. I am not confused and I do believe it is right that gays should be able to marry. I believe in universal healthcare. Why? Because I believe massive sums of wealth are a privilege of society. This privilege granted by the people alongside human achievement and liberty.

The republicans stand for things. I happen to not stand with them any longer. Their bold and hateful stance is very evident. They are racist, they are greedy money grubbing parasites on the ass of a festering dead pig.

I see no reason to not call a spade a spade. Someday I may know god exists or does not exist but I know what the republicans believe... I have seen their despicable votes in congress and the senate. I have heard their racist radio commentators stirring up hatred. It seems they do not have one single motivation born out of the heart..

So are they persons? Are they alive?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 01:20 pm
@RexRed,
In the name of personal freedom (especially my own),
I have been a life-long conservative Republican.

I have always been pro-freedom of abortion
and I don 't care whether or not homosexuals marry.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 01:32 pm
@RexRed,
I'm sorry but I don't recall your having any particular position in the past, and I think you still are suffering from that fever.

Castigating (you're right, I did misspell the word) Republicans for their hatred by using such hateful terms as you have seems a little hypocritical, don't you think?

In any case I'm not interested in defending Republicans in general against the rants of anyone.

Have a good day.

RexRed

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 12:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't recall your having any particular position in the past, and I think you still are suffering from that fever.

Castigating (you're right, I did misspell the word) Republicans for their hatred by using such hateful terms as you have seems a little hypocritical, don't you think?

In any case I'm not interested in defending Republicans in general against the rants of anyone.

Have a good day.

Rants and tyrants... a fact of life. Wink
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:26 am
Mississippi 'Personhood' Amendment Vote Fails
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/mississippi-personhood-amendment_n_1082546.html

Comment: It could be argued that life even exists before conception... in the minds of the givers. What may begin as an ideal becomes a unique new breathing person.

Breathing life is different than non breathing life.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 01:45 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/mississippi-personhood-amendment_n_1082546.html

Comment: It could be argued that life even exists before conception... in the minds of the givers. What may begin as an ideal becomes a unique new breathing person.

Quoth Deepak Chopra, M.D.:
"People think that thay are human beings
with occasional spiritual experiences,
but thay are spiritual beings with occasional human experiences."

I 'd have voted against it; I cheer its defeat.

David
RexRed

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

RexRed wrote:

Quoth Deepak Chopra, M.D.:
"People think that thay are human beings
with occasional spiritual experiences,
but thay are spiritual beings with occasional human experiences."

I 'd have voted against it; I cheer its defeat.

David

The litmus test about persons is that they at some point prove be real...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 01:00 am
i didn't think so.... Smile

I want to bond with you!
0 Replies