Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 12:18 pm
This thread comes from something CI asked me.

If the Constitution was being written today, how would you write it?
What would be in it, what rights would you put in it, or take out of it?

Dont be shy, I am curious.

As for me, I think its just right as it is, I just wish everyone would actually abide by it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,285 • Replies: 45
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 12:55 pm
I would clarify so that guns are clearly acceptable under controlled conditions, but not to build private armies and the like.

I would pass amendment 28 that makes $100 the maximum that can be donated to a politician or political entity by all individuals and groups, such as corporations.

The rest I would be okay with.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 01:01 pm
@mysteryman,
I would include every word from the UN Declaration of Human Rights into the Constitution.
http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
I will make these protections ENFORCEABLE (unlike it's present status at the United Nations itself).
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 01:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
You could not had a fixed amount like a 100 dollars you would need to index the amount in some manner or within a short time span the amount would be too small to had any meaning,
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 01:14 pm
@mysteryman,
I 'd nullify Barron v. Baltimore 32 U.S. (7 Pet.) 243 (1833)
by making it even more clear than it already was,
that the Constitution means what it actually says
and that both the States & federal government
are disabled from violating the freedom
set forth in the Bill of Rights.

In the Preamble, I 'd remind the citizenry
that domestic jurisdiction of government and personal freedom
are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL

I 'd clarify whether or not the States coud leave the Union
so that thay 'd clearly KNOW that when deciding whether to join up or not,
thereby obviating a long n bloody war.

I 'd amend Article 3 Section 3 to include intentional violation
of the Constitution as a criterion of treason,
making it a felony punishable by not less than 75 years at hard labor
applicable to all holders of public office in federal, state or local government
in executive, legislative or judicial branches.

I 'd amend the 16th Amendment to MORE clearly indicate
that governments have NO authority to discriminate
against any citizen based upon his financial success;
i.e., the same tax rate woud apply to all citizens.

In the Bill of Rights, I 'd set forth that NO government
has any authority to interfere with self destructive conduct
of any citizen (e.g., taking drugs of his choice or eating red meat).

That 's all that comes to mind at this moment.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:55 pm
@mysteryman,
I might touch up the 14th amendment to disallow citizenship as a reward for being born within the borders of the US. Truely, I would rather leave it as is before letting anyone have license to start tinkering with it.
BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 04:16 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I might touch up the 14th amendment to disallow citizenship as a reward for being born within the borders of the US

Always a good idea to created a second class group that is born and raised in the US but still does not have the rights of citizenship due to the actions of their parents before they was born.

Great idea we can add them to the poor children that was brought here as infants or young children and also raised here as Americans and are now facing being deported to countries they had no connection with.

Maybe we could go back three or four generation so we all could perhaps get a knock on the door and serve with an order to leave due to one of our grandparents not having the proper paperwork when he or she came here.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 04:58 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I might touch up the 14th amendment to disallow citizenship as a reward
for being born within the borders of the US
BillRM wrote:
Always a good idea to created a second class group that is born and raised in the US
but still does not have the rights of citizenship due to the actions of their parents before they was born.
Its a better idea to get rid of them ASAP,
but deport them to somewhere that thay cannot recidivistically get back here again.

Maybe the South Pole? Somewhere that thay don 't like,
so thay will stop coming here. Let the word get out.
Fido

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 05:24 pm
@mysteryman,
I would keep the Preamble and trash the rest... I wouls say that the good listed in the preamble are the goods for which governments are instituted, and that to be legitimate government must work always to achieve those goals... In addition, I would say that it is the governments obligation to enforce the rights people claim, and to have no part in denying any right to anyone with the sole definition of a rights being any freedom anyone claims which causes no injury to others... The privilage goverment allows it cannot claim for its own... If it allows the privilage of profit it cannot profit thereby, but is under an obligation to see that the profit of a few becomes the benefit of all so that the engine of inginuity and invention, of ambition and averice is allways well harnassed to society, whose condition should be thus improved... The commonwealth should be clearly expressed and defined... The government should stand explicitly behind all private titles to the commonwealth, as it does implicitely now, and show that no property can be cut off from the commonwealth, and that the whole people defend the commonwealth, and all should enjoy its benefit, so that no matter how much of the commonwealth becomes privatized, it must still support all the population or be redeemed by the people and split into small holdings capable of the support of many... That would be a good start, and for that, government would have enough power, and not too much since all it did would require the support and consent of the people, in a word, democracy...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 05:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Why do we not just shot the kids along with their parents?

Sorry David but as far as I can trace my family tree I am at least a 6 generation American on all branches and yet I consider anyone born here as must of a citizen as myself and when it come to children raised here from a very early age as Americans I would be for granting them the same rights of citizenship.

To do otherwise is shameful and inhuman.

Next the reason and the only reason we had large numbers of people crossing our borders is to do tasks for low pay that need to be done.

You would likely start to go hungry if all the illegal farm workers was send to the North or South pole or just shot.

When you get a few more years on you and you need someone to empty your bedpan or bag in a nursing home you better hope that those people are not living with the Eskimos.

We need to be honest about our labor needs even in a time of high unemployment and had workers programs with screening in place.
Fido

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:10 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Why do we not just shot the kids along with their parents?

Sorry David but as far as I can trace my family tree I am at least a 6 generation American on all branches and yet I consider anyone born here as must of a citizen as myself and when it come to children raised here from a very early age as Americans I would be for granting them the same rights of citizenship.

To do otherwise is shameful and inhuman.

Next the reason and the only reason we had large numbers of people crossing our borders is to do tasks for low pay that need to be done.

You would likely start to go hungry if all the illegal farm workers was send to the North or South pole or just shot.

When you get a few more years on you and you need someone to empty your bedpan or bag in a nursing home you better hope that those people are not living with the Eskimos.

We need to be honest about our labor needs even in a time of high unemployment and had workers programs with screening in place.
Certainly, this country does invite aliens to do jobs citizens would not do, but they will not do them because a free people thinking itself free will not freely submit to slavery for the price of ones daily bread....The problem is, that if a job is worth doing it is worth a living wage, but we consider profit essential in our society, and it is not, but to have profit we will see fair wages denied... The situation is not growing smaller but larger... Farmers are being driven from their farms, and people from their jobs because they lack essential control in their lives... If the farmer does not own enough and employ enough, and if he is not a wage earner himself, that is: If he is not part of some larger organization with access to markets, then he is like us, and a victim, forced to work himself into slavery as the price of calling himself free... He is not free, and we are not free, and when corporations have our food supply we will find ourselves universally at their mercy no matter where our people came from, or the color of their skin...

Property rights are a privilage, but they are considered as rights but they do not make people equal as do other rights, but the one with more property has greater rights, and sooner or later he can leverage greater rights into all significant rights, and all that will matter will be what you own with only a few owning all...
BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:33 pm
@Fido,
The people crossing our borders are earning far more then they could at home and in fact in many cases they send funds back home.

It would be better if they had legal stranding and therefore legal protection from mistreatments but all in all they are not victims and taking the best course for themselves and their families.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 07:49 pm
@BillRM,
That's precisely the point. Keep elections from being bought.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
As long as we have a political supreme court changing the constitution wont make any difference. Look at how they perverted the question of corporations and peoplehood!
Fido

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:27 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The people crossing our borders are earning far more then they could at home and in fact in many cases they send funds back home.

It would be better if they had legal stranding and therefore legal protection from mistreatments but all in all they are not victims and taking the best course for themselves and their families.

Sure; the slavery they find here is better than the slavery there... But; in many cases they bring the cultures with them that allow and condone slavery, and they would go from slave to master in a hurry if it were possible, and without regret... The point is, that we should neither deny them citizenship, nor make their exploitation possible... We are inclined to buy by the price, and not consider the condition of those who produce our goods... And what choice have we but to consider price since the price of our own labor is depressed beyond reason... If we had a constitution that gave force to the good listed in the preamble, not one union or association would be required in America... The government would be our union and association and it would charter no others if they could not always prove a pure public purpose... It is not bad for individuals to profit or to improve their own condition... When people combine in corporations for the purpose of exploiting our common environment, or of making their welfare out of the commonwealth, or of exploiting and robbing from the people, then it is the obligation of the government to suppress and re-educate such people... If that is the world they want, they should lose their standing in this land as citizens... And we should stand for an end to such exploitation world wide that ends with uprooted and dispossessed people at our door asking for our jobs and our help... Most people of the world should be citizens of this land, but then, democracy ought to rule every where... The answer is simple... The problem is one left undone since our beginning... It is one of world revolution...
Builder

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:46 am
Your last admin already rewrote it.

http://youtu.be/Wmc60JmaLbE
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:22 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
As long as we have a political supreme court changing the constitution wont make any difference.
Look at how they perverted the question of corporations and peoplehood!
For CENTURIES, corporations have been deemed to be people. The USSC restored the status quo ante.

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:22 am
@Fido,
Slavery??????

You are degrading the meaning of the word by using it in the manner you are doing.

Slavery is being for example force onto ships at guns and knives points and placed under conditions where the majority of your fellows ends up dying on the trip.

After leaving the ship you are whip to work in the sugar crane fields of such places as Haiti where you live on average three years.

Slavery is not coming to another county of your own free will and either taking your family with you or sending for them later and being pay for your work.

Shame on you using the word slavery in so light a manner.
BillRM

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David corporations had never been consider to had a one to one existence to real persons.

For example corporations may be able to merge but not get married. Drunk

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:27 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
David corporations had never been consider to had a one to one existence to real persons.

For example corporations may be able to merge but not get married. Drunk
I dunno; have thay ever tried it????