Mame

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Okay, call it good driving then. But if you know where you're going, and if there are any traffic or parking issues, you must have thought about this before you set out. Ie. Going to an opera or the theatre when it's going to be crowded down there, or having an appt at rush hour. Surely you think ahead, I know you do. I've driven with you and you're an economical driver - you don't waste time or gas (yay). You're right, though, that is NOT multi-tasking - it's being a good driver.

We need another example then!
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:35 pm
@mismi,
I read somewhere that multi-tasking evolved in a different way in women, largely due to the fact we were faced with looking after an unpredictable little human, while at the same time needing to scrape a hide, make a note while walking around where a plant is maturing, so you could come back later to pick it etc.

The men were more looking at animal tracks, noting signs to immediatley indicate where to go to follow something and focusing on their preys movement.

Wally and I will go somewhere, and 9 times out of 10 I'll be the one to say "no, the cars parked over there" or "to get back home, don't turn here, up there, turn there"

It's like on the way to something I take a pictures in my mind as we move along, and I just pull up that picture when going in reverse.

He though is infinitley better at seeing a particular point, finding a small object in a larger area.

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:38 pm
@ossobuco,
It's not a case of always or never, it's generally, Oss. However, it's a case of percentages, as usual.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:49 pm
@Mame,
Well that's why I was whining, the sureness of your post back there, which I now forget already.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Well, you're just a special case, spendius!

I forgot to mention Cal that when I am multi-tasking in the easy way I tried to give a sense of I am not taking for granted that the cops are geared up to protect my tenderest parts and prosecutors are on the starting blocks in case inappropriate liberties are taken with them and that the electricity is still on. I am bearing those things in mind as well.

One might easily become so obsessed with one's expertise in multi-tasking that it is easy to forget in the heady emotions of self congratulation what it is all in aid of.
Mame

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:51 pm
@spendius,
Well, that made a lot (no) of sense.
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:09 pm
@Mame,
If ever multi-tasking was necessary it was in the landings on the moon.

If women are so much superior to men in this regard why did NASA choose men? And why have there been no international flights where the pilot and the co-pilot were both female and there have been millions of flights where both roles were left to men?

And why are all the top chefs male? And don't bring Nigella Lawson up because she's just a masturbation aid for jaded dons in Oxford and Cambridge.
Mame

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:13 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

If ever multi-tasking was necessary it was in the landings on the moon.

If women are so much superior to men in this regard why did NASA choose men? OLD BOYS' CLUB? And why have there been no international flights where the pilot and the co-pilot were both female and there have been millions of flights where both roles were left to men? OLD BOYS' CLUB?

And why are all the top chefs male? OLD BOYS' CLUB? And don't bring Nigella Lawson up because she's just a masturbation aid for jaded dons in Oxford and Cambridge.

In other words, OLD BOYS' CLUB?, OLD BOYS' CLUB?, OLD BOYS' CLUB?, OLD BOYS' CLUB?, OLD BOYS' CLUB?, OLD BOYS' CLUB?, OLD BOYS' CLUB????
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:23 pm
@Mame,
Nah. Not at all. Common sense. Women couldn't set a lunar module gently on to the surface of the moon no matter how many inducements they were offered. Not a one. The scientists at NASA confirmed the fact.

I've seen women trying to thread a needle with their eyeballs looking at each other, their tongue sticking out of the corner of their mouths and their chins moving from side to side.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:30 pm
@spendius,
Putz personified on purpose, such a charmer.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:08 pm
My god. I'm a woman!
wayne

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:10 pm
@chai2,
I think you're being naive of the tasks involved in the activity of hunting.
Men needed to be aware of far more things than animal tracks, there are weapons, dangers, terrain, teamwork, and the ever important finding your way home, just to name a few.

Multi-tasking is no more than a buzz word for something we all do every day, to some degree at least. When I start my old truck, I simultaneously turn the key, manipulate the choke, feather the gas, and whisper sweet nothings.
Some people are simply better at it than others, gender has no bearing on the matter.
Some activities better lend themselves to multi-tasking than others, if you're grilling a Ribeye you might think you can multi-task, but the quality will suffer.
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:20 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
My god. I'm a woman!

Yikes, I'm a man! Surprised

Generally when I attempt to "multi-task" it's because there are too many things urgently needing doing at once. Panic stations.
It rarely ends well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:25 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I can easily drink a pint of beer whilst explaining the essential aspects of the thought of Jacques Derrida, or Emmanuel Kant, rolling a cigarette with one hand, amusing a bored lady sat with a husband using nods and winks and subtle gestures of the facial muscles, and carrying on a separate conversation about the tactics of the players in the football game on the TV.

While chewing gum?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:28 pm
@thack45,
Thack - you made me laugh out loud all the way down the hall to the kitchen.
That was singular.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:33 pm
@wayne,
yeah, you're right wayne, I don't have much knowledge of hunting.

I know there was more in what I read, but honestly, I was doing something else at the time, and can't remember.

Seriously, I get your point, and not desputing it.

However, I do think as women have traditionally the major child care giver (by pure fact maybe that we have the tools to feed them on site) we do overall seem to get a few things done at the same time.

I just got back from the pool 30 minutes ago, and I simultaneously cooked dinner, showered, rinsed out my bathing suit, swim fins, cap and webbed gloves, and fed the cats.

The man is concentrating on one of those crime shows on TV. When I asked him something, he had to put the TV on pause.

However, earlier he did a pretty big electrical job in the house, which I never could have done.
roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:46 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I just got back from the pool 30 minutes ago, and I simultaneously cooked dinner, showered, . . .

Now, if you mean you had a roast in the oven while showering, that's not really multitasking. If you were flippin' pancakes in the shower, well, that counts.
thack45

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:54 pm
@roger,
Looks like we all have different ideas of what constitutes multi-tasking. I thought it was being able to run (or at least appear to be running) multiple applications at the same time.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 06:58 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I just got back from the pool 30 minutes ago, and I simultaneously cooked dinner, showered, . . .

Now, if you mean you had a roast in the oven while showering, that's not really multitasking. If you were flippin' pancakes in the shower, well, that counts.

I was flippin' turkey burgers.

I timed it so I would flip between the rinsing and the showering.
I did slice the tomatoes while turning off the heat, and had put the onions in the pan to fry beside the burgers.

Silly, roasts don't take 30 minutes.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:02 pm
@chai2,
turkey burgers - do you have a recipe?
0 Replies