Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 01:23 am
I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the people who claim to be great at multi-tasking and belittle those of us who don't muti-task much all suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). I mean, fakrissakes, they can't even finish one job without having already started another. (And, as a result, the first job often goes unfinished.) Me, I do one thing at a time. Exclusively.

Thoughts?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 04:21 am
I have to finish each task to get anything done right. I can walk and chew gum, but nothing more complex.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 04:44 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I worked for a woman who could discuss serious business on the phone while continuing work on a ten key. She is the only person I ever knew who could successfully do two things a a time - other than the kind of thing edgar mentions.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Ive always found that multi-tasking sucks the quality out of each of the tasks that the MTer does.

I demand focus on the work we do cause it can lead to unknown discoveries. Most scientists or visual artists are NOT multitaskers .
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:55 am
@farmerman,
i usually have several thingss going at the same time ... and often finish none of them Shocked
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:22 am
I've never been quite sure what exactly is meant by the term Multi-tasking.
I can handle several tasks over a given period of time, I call it planning and using my time wisely. I don't try to do 2 things at the exact same moment, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:32 am
I've heard reports on the radio machine that "multi-tasking" reduces efficiency. I am, personally, a devout practitioner of laziness. I have enough trouble doing one thing at a time.
spendius

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:47 am
@Setanta,
I can pick my nose while watching the NFL games.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:52 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I multi task all the time and am far from ADD. I realize I am far from ADD - because I also have no problem with just sitting and observing - I don't need to be in motion all the time.

I also do not be-little those that don't multi-task. Considering the fact that I may need to run a program on the computer and it can take from a few minutes until a half hour to run, it seems senseless to just look at the computer and wait until it finishes running to complete.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:55 am
@roger,
I can - when use a ten key continuously throughout the day - it is almost as if the ten key is attached. I use the ten key almost as much as the computer.

I was training some one once and they were amazed at how quickly I used the ten key and baffled when without looking I knew I had hit an incorrect key and would back up and be able to correct the mistake without looking. When you use something so frequently it becomes part of you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:24 am
I just deleted my post by mistake, thinking I clicked cancel. That'll teach me to go get coffee from the kitchen.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:32 am
@ossobuco,
To recreate the post in shorter form -

I've worked in science, land arch, and am a visual artist; have worked on housing tract irrigation design well into the middle of the night, and my first attraction to art was that I would lose myself in time while painting or drawing.

On the other hand -
When I clean house, I multi-clean, going from room to room to move stuff around, a kind of house play. I think that's a mix of boredom and play. Don't fence me in . . . to one room. I'll also make coffee when cleaning the kitchen and stop and have some while checking the computer - and then back to the kitchen again.

Actually doing two things at a time, other than walk and talk or listen to music while cooking, no.

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:39 am
@ossobuco,
You may be right there - except for the ten key - I am not usually doing two things at once really. While the computer system is running, I may look at a report (or write on A2k). So it more that I while I am waiting for something, I am doing something else.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 01:16 pm
I'm a mom, by definition a multi-tasker and I have to admit I'm not perfect. Stuff does get done though.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:30 pm
This is verrrree interesting. I'm sensing a gender split here. The men are all saying they do one thing at a time, the wimmins are -- at least -- hedging. It's interesting to me because I was told the same thing by a woman I know here who's in business running a gifts and collectibles store. When I mentioned my bias against multi-tasking she said right off that it's a gender thing. Men do things one at a time; women tend to want to do several things at the same time.

I'm begining to believe she's right.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:33 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
so, like, now I'm a guy? go back and read Farmerman.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I think you are the margin of error...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Hah, caught me mid edit. I can't remember what I said already.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Margin of error has an ok ring to it. Could fit.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:45 pm
Let's up the ante on this discussion.

If you are in a position to make decisions on hiring staff, would you be more or less likely to approve of a person who claims to be a great multi-tasker? Or would you rather hire someone who assured you he/she was rock-steady as long as they could do one thing at a time?

Think it over.