Crawl out on that limb?

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 06:50 am
"What if our machinery for responding to chemical irritants is also partly used to respond to cognitive irritants?'That's a bit too speculative for me, I'm afraid,' says Julius. 'Who knows? I'm not trying to be a reductionist nerd here, but I'm not ready to crawl out on that limb just yet.'"

Here, what does "speculative" mean?
And what's the meanig of the last sentence. Does it mean that Julius is not ready to explore in the field of cognitive irritants?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:04 am
@Justin Xu,
To speculate means, basically, to make an educated guess. Speculative means guessing rather than knowing. To go out on a limb means to expose oneself by taking a position which is not certain. So, Julius is saying that he doesn't know if the machinery can be used to respond to cognitive irritants, and that it would be speculative to say it can. Therefore, Julius is not prepared to expose himself to the risk of being proven wrong by saying it would work when he doesn't know for certain that it will, he is not willing to go out on a limb.
0 Replies